Midweek starter

We’ve all learned recently that Games Notes are subject to change, but Jake Smith is the expected starter tomorrow afternoon. It raises some questions about the weekend rotation with Garland not returning to the midweek spot, but Smith getting a start is something many of us have been interested to see.
Smith may have the livest arm on the roster, he is just raw at working batters/counts/setting up pitches. If he has any control I expect 8+ K's out of him.

Advertisement
Smith may have the livest arm on the roster, he is just raw at working batters/counts/setting up pitches. If he has any control I expect 8+ K's out of him.
His fastball seems to really jump on hitters. He leaves far too many meatballs out there but his stuff is definitely good

His fastball seems to really jump on hitters. He leaves far too many meatballs out there but his stuff is definitely good
He was throwing 100 in the off season, but he is prone to leave some fat. I would rather trot that out there than guys that throw BP with their best stuff as long as he throws strikes.

He was throwing 100 in the off season, but he is prone to leave some fat. I would rather trot that out there than guys that throw BP with their best stuff as long as he throws strikes.
Wow I didn’t know he was up there like that. I always thought he was a low 90’s guy with a arm slot that jumps on hitters. That’s impressive, no wonder why scouts were so high on him

Wow I didn’t know he was up there like that. I always thought he was a low 90’s guy with a arm slot that jumps on hitters. That’s impressive, no wonder why scouts were so high on him
There is a video here in this forum of him hitting 100 in a pre spring workout, can't recall which one

Advertisement
It's gonna be Smith unless there's a very late scratch.

My proposed order

Vilar
Yoyo
Delly
Del
Gil
Toral
Rivera
Pitelli
Lala

Advertisement
Morales in the 2 is interesting. I would flop him and CDC, but I like that
I like having your better hitters in the 2 and 3 hole. Gets them more at bats. My top of the order would be CDC - ADC-yoyo. Lala to nine to take some pressure off him. He’s pressing a bit.

Surprised Mederos wouldn't get a shot after Smith's short outing last week.
Here's the lineup I'd trot out there on Wed. if I was Gino:

SS Pitelli
2B Vilar
3B Yoyo
DH Del
RF Delly
1B Toral
LF Lala
C Perez
CF Jenkins

Advertisement
Surprised Mederos wouldn't get a shot after Smith's short outing last week.
Here's the lineup I'd trot out there on Wed. if I was Gino:

SS Pitelli
2B Vilar
3B Yoyo
DH Del
RF Delly
1B Toral
LF Lala
C Perez
CF Jenkins
Jenkins did enough to get Rivera out of lineup? I don’t know know about that. Would rather have Lala removed then rivera

Jenkins did enough to get Rivera out of lineup? I don’t know know about that. Would rather have Lala removed then rivera
No, he had a good game by making 2 productive outs but Rivera's bat >>>>>
I wanna see this
CDC
Vilar
ADC
Morales
Toral
Gil
Rivera
Pitelli
Lala

That has some serious power potential 1-7

Rivera has been fine in RF and hit a couple big HRs earlier this year (FGCU and UVA) but he has really cooled off lately with 1 RBI in the month of April. I don't think you lose much (aside from a potential solo HR) by inserting Jenkins for Rivera on Wednesday. If Jenkins responds by going 0-4 with 4Ks then I was wrong, but he's got to be feeling confident after yesterday and Rivera could probably use a day off. He's had one good swing in the last several games.

Advertisement
Rivera has been fine in RF and hit a couple big HRs earlier this year (FGCU and UVA) but he has really cooled off lately with 1 RBI in the month of April. I don't think you lose much (aside from a potential solo HR) by inserting Jenkins for Rivera on Wednesday. If Jenkins responds by going 0-4 with 4Ks then I was wrong, but he's got to be feeling confident after yesterday and Rivera could probably use a day off. He's had one good swing in the last several games.
Jenkins and his .111 can stay on the bench, gimme Gabe. He did great yesterday in making 2 productive outs though.

Jenkins and his .111 can stay on the bench, gimme Gabe. He did great yesterday in making 2 productive outs though.
Gino called him out after the game about not being aggressive enough this season. I believe Gino wants him in there at CF but has felt he couldn't trust his bat. If nothing else, it's a good time to give him a spot start. Rivera has struggled and Jenkins is walking on air this week so might as well give it a shot. Then again, Rivera has been known to feast on midweek slapdicks so I wouldn't be surprised to see him in RF.

Gino called him out after the game about not being aggressive enough this season. I believe Gino wants him in there at CF but has felt he couldn't trust his bat. If nothing else, it's a good time to give him a spot start. Rivera has struggled and Jenkins is walking on air this week so might as well give it a shot. Then again, Rivera has been known to feast on midweek slapdicks so I wouldn't be surprised to see him in RF.
Just look at them over the years here, Rivera is far more productive at the plate (not even close). Plus we need a meathead in the lineup for appearances, Gabe covers that too, lol.

I was wondering if anyone had his numbers from acc play versus the midweeks. Has to be a large difference

Advertisement
Back