Michigan/Stanford vs The U comparison

Donny Donowitz

Bear ***
So I know most of us are a bit disappointed to say the least with the closing on some players this cycle.

But, after looking at teams like Michigan (who was supposed to take over college football 3 years ago) and Stanford, I am feeling quite fortunate with the recruiting class we received. These programs are where we are at right now (Stanford especially since they require educated young men to qualify like us). We haven't reached the Bama/Clemson dominance yet, and we are out recruiting their asses big time. Michigan just hardly cracked the top 25 and Stanford is in the 70 range last time I checked.

We beat LSU/FSU this year on national TV and the early signing period is going to be sweet for us again for 2019.

Just trying to spread some positive vibes here. Give it one more year and we can get back to being the fan base who gets to rub salt in all the wounds again. I miss it just as much as you all do.

Go Canes!

Advertisement
Michigan and Stanford both have ELITE coaching. You won't find liability on their staff except for the OC. You won't find a gimmicky DC like Manny Diaz running their defense I can tell you that.

Michigan and Stanford both have ELITE coaching. You won't find liability on their staff except for the OC. You won't find a gimmicky DC like Manny Diaz running their defense I can tell you that.

rather have the gimmicks that get results than no gimmicks and not get the results we do.

rather have the gimmicks that get results than no gimmicks and not get the results we do.

It hard to survive on gimmicks though. Remember when the Wildcat was popular in college and the NFL and the Dolphins and Arkansas rode that to success and like all football gimmicks coaches eventually stop/exploit it. Same with Chip Kelly's no huddle offense. You'll get by a year or 2 maybe 3 then someone figures it out and it all down hill from there.

Lol at MICH. Having Elite coaches.... someone hasn’t been following their results. harbaugh is a corch and MICH fans are one more loss to osu/MSU away from running him out of town.

Advertisement
Michigan doesn't have elite coaching, their offense is hot garbage

And let’s not pretend it’s that difficult for any 4-5 Star kid who is qualified couldn’t get into Any I’d the 3 colleges. Maybe Stanford requires more than the minimum qualifications for student athletes but as long as you’re qualified and can help win fb games you can get into either UM.

Parents, even well to do parents, are selling their kids to the highest bidder. Yes, our early class was excellent but then the bidding started. Next year Bama will be at the slave market earlier and UGA will right their next to them, so we can't count on duplicating this year. Since we don't buy kids, our class was outstanding with the prize jewel, Nesta, even coming on NSD.

Watching PS2 get carted off to Bama just left a sour taste in my mouth. Daddy needs to pack his sorry rear up with the rest of his family, sell his house and move back to LA swamp or up the the new plantation he sold his boy too. Mo tea massa Nick?

If you call jim harbaugh elite coaching then idk what to tell you, check that record at Michigan. He’s grossly overrated and overpaid

Advertisement
OP's point is well made. This is our best class in a decade. Each of Richt's 3 classes (If you count 2016) have gotten progressively better. We have a top ten class in the midst of teams that routinely make the CFP. It's been 15 years since we finished the season in that conversation. Fortunately, we've also improved our win totals 3 years in a row. All of this is trending in a positive direction. It's frustrating to miss on the opportunity of a better class when it seemed so close, but those fruits will come if we keep improving the on-field product (which is the point of recruiting, as you may recall).

Advertisement

Gimmicky? Please elaborate. He likes to blitz a lot and play man. Is that gimmicky?

Harbaugh has been a huge disappointment at Michigan. Getting paid top dollar and hasn't beaten Meyer once. Kids are starting to realize how much of a fraud he is. If only Miami had that type of money to throw around, he'd own college football.

Stanford is Stanford. They will get some top talent but they are handicapped by their academic standards. Most kids can't get in there. They do very well with the kids they get though.

Last edited:

Michigan does not have elite coaching. While yesterday was a complete fail, I still would MUCH rather be in our situation heading into year 3 with Richt than Michigan's situation heading into year 4 with Harbaugh! He finished year 3 with an 8-5 record, lost their bowl game, just signed the 21st ranked class, AND he's 1-5 against his rivals!

Advertisement
Wow, someone else trying to compare Stanford and Miami’s admissions. LOL. There’s a few athletes on Miami that are admitted each year that would have NEVER been admitted to Stanford. Ever. Ever. Academically, MI is also superior to Miami but I think they’d be closer to admitting any 5*.

So eliminating Stanford AND Michigan, since it’s been over 20 years since either has won a National Championship and they’re not recruiting like Miami (currently; MI is sliding...), USC Trojans should lead a resurgent PAC-12 for what I believe to be a more favorable comparison in terms of recruiting and on field results. Penn State also.

Not many direct comparisons between the programs at Michigan, Stanford, and Miami. If the focus is on recruiting, then things really differ. Both Michigan and Stanford HAVE to recruit nationally. Stanford due to admissions requirements (which are not as stringent as some here think, but more stringent than about any other school), Michigan because there is not enough in-state talent to fill an annual top 20 program.

Miami has a much greater recruiting advantage, in terms of the combination of admissions and backyard talent, than either. At "twitch" positions - RB, WR, some TE, some DE, OLB, CB, and S Miami should annually far out recruit those schools. If you can start with that kind of lead, your final class should be superior as well.

So I know most of us are a bit disappointed to say the least with the closing on some players this cycle.

But, after looking at teams like Michigan (who was supposed to take over college football 3 years ago) and Stanford, I am feeling quite fortunate with the recruiting class we received. These programs are where we are at right now (Stanford especially since they require educated young men to qualify like us). We haven't reached the Bama/Clemson dominance yet, and we are out recruiting their asses big time. Michigan just hardly cracked the top 25 and Stanford is in the 70 range last time I checked.

We beat LSU/FSU this year on national TV and the early signing period is going to be sweet for us again for 2019.

Just trying to spread some positive vibes here. Give it one more year and we can get back to being the fan base who gets to rub salt in all the wounds again. I miss it just as much as you all do.

Go Canes!

We haven't reached Michigan or LSU's level in terms of talent.

Stanford.... yeah probably.

We don’t have Michigan’s talent? Lol. Thank God.

Stanford’s admissions isn’t what you think. Maybe higher than most, but not by much for athletes. And Michigan isn’t above UM. They’ll get in any top fb player with a 2.5 and an 800 score.

Advertisement
Back