Michigan Runs Bro Style

Advertisement
Regardless of what they run, Michigan was 123rd out of 132 teams in 3rd downs per game. Good offenses are usually in the bottom 1/4 in that category. It's the exact opposite for their defense, they're ranked 4th in 3rd down conversions per game, meaning, they get off the field.

I'm not a recruitnik, but isn't Clemson a bad example? Even if statistically their classes were ranked 10-25, they had generational talents like Watson, Lawrence, Etienne and a bunch of DL that went on to the NFL. If you have smash hits like that, regardless of what the rest of the class looks like, you're gonna win games because by and large, QB play is usually the key to NCs. (I think this year was a bit of an aberration.)
My post said you didn’t need top 5 classes. It said you needed over 50 percent blue chip ratio. Clemson had it both times they won the championship. No team in the playoff era has won without it, including Michigan a few days ago.

The Michigan offense is insanely creative.

Big OL with numerous future pros. Disciplined as all ******* ****. They averaged 3 penalties a ******* game. They are NEVER behind the sticks. They played 15 games and are 65th in the nation in raw total third downs. They allowed 4 sacks every 3 games on average. This team moves FORWARD, not backwards. They are almost always on schedule.

Oh, and they NEVER.TURN.THE.BALL.OVER. Led the nation in turnover margin because they had 8 turnovers against all season long.

That is how you have a run first oriented football team in 2023 and moving forward. You need to be creative with it. You need to play well coached, discipline football that doesn't ever shoot itself in the foot.

And you know what...Michigan bulldozed ******* everybody. Excellent team. They did this **** without their Hall of Fame level head coach for much of the season. That is the kind of team you want...men that take care of their business and don't need babysitting. You think Blake Corum is grinding the latest COD beta release? Man is grinding tape and in the gym and on the practice field. Those MF's in Ann Arbor breath, sleep, drink, eat football.

You want to know why we can't play that kind of football? Its not because its archaic (its not...it literally just won a national title) Because we are undisciplined as ****. Penalties, turnovers, just dumb **** after dumb **** on our roster doing dumb **** all of the time. We are ALWAYS behind schedule. TVD is no JJ McCarthy, but...remember Emory Williams v. Clemson and FSU? Yo...just not ******* turning the ball over had us beating and competing with the best in the ACC.

We run one of the dumbed down offenses in the nation and our head cases can't stop doing dumb ****.

Need more adults on the roster and maybe we can do this.

Advertisement
Michigan is a top coached team in the country.

Michigan has a player lead leadership mentality

Michigan only had 5 turnovers all year

Michigan only had 46 penalties or something like that all year.

Michigan doesn’t spend money on high school kids really which creates a culture

Michigan pays their current players big NIL to stay and develop

They have a an NFL DC

They have an NFL head coach.

Michigan is much more than bro style ball. They proved “old school” can still win championships which I enjoy to see but Mario has a long way to go in reaching all the other levels that Michigan is at that I listed above.
Can't wait to play 5 pass-attempts-per-game ball here in Miami (with *** QBs) and be the Michigan of the South. Rock Hard will be bumping!

I'm not a recruitnik, but isn't Clemson a bad example? Even if statistically their classes were ranked 10-25, they had generational talents like Watson, Lawrence, Etienne and a bunch of DL that went on to the NFL. If you have smash hits like that, regardless of what the rest of the class looks like, you're gonna win games because by and large, QB play is usually the key to NCs. (I think this year was a bit of an aberration.)

Clemson doesn’t work as an example because it’s all about the blue chip ratio not necessarily the ending recruiting rank. Clemson doesn’t always take large classes so that in and of itself keeps the end ranking low. For example in 2017 Clemson only signed 14 players. 10 were 4 or 4 stars and 4 were 3 stars with a 92 average. A 92 average would be one of the top in the country that year but the overall point total low due to only 14 signees. They hit the blue chip ratio but ended up with the 16th ranked class total.

Those MF's in Ann Arbor breath, sleep, drink, eat football.

This seems so obvious (especially when you consider the free schooling, free training for your profession, and now NIL), but most fans can't wrap their head around the idea that most guys playing football (college or pro) do so because they have found success not because it's necessarily important to them.

Mario seems (these last two classes at least) to be targeting the eat, sleep, drink football mentality along with high-end attributes (size, speed, strength).

Spend any time around Harbaugh and you'll inevitably be asked the following question "do you enjoy football?" At face value, it's such a stupid question to ask "a football player", but Harbaugh cares deeply that his players like football. He makes it a point that his players (his guys) enjoy the grind (if you don't grind you don't shine), and he goes after those players even if the guy is a lower-rated player (with the right physical attributes - height and weight) versus just grabbing a guy who is a 5 or 4-star player.

I'm not 100% positive on this so don't quote me but I believe they only had 5 offensive turnovers and three special teams turnovers. It's great to not turn the ball over but if you're going to rely on a freakishly high turnover ratio every year, you're setting yourself up for disappointment.
Got it.
They were +19 on the year. Crazy number.

On the other side of the tracks, we were sittin' pretty at -4.
I'd settle for "Even" in our p5 games.

Advertisement
The Michigan offense is insanely creative.

Big OL with numerous future pros. Disciplined as all ******* ****. They averaged 3 penalties a ******* game. They are NEVER behind the sticks. They played 15 games and are 65th in the nation in raw total third downs. They allowed 4 sacks every 3 games on average. This team moves FORWARD, not backwards. They are almost always on schedule.

Oh, and they NEVER.TURN.THE.BALL.OVER. Led the nation in turnover margin because they had 8 turnovers against all season long.

That is how you have a run first oriented football team in 2023 and moving forward. You need to be creative with it. You need to play well coached, discipline football that doesn't ever shoot itself in the foot.

And you know what...Michigan bulldozed ******* everybody. Excellent team. They did this **** without their Hall of Fame level head coach for much of the season. That is the kind of team you want...men that take care of their business and don't need babysitting. You think Blake Corum is grinding the latest COD beta release? Man is grinding tape and in the gym and on the practice field. Those MF's in Ann Arbor breath, sleep, drink, eat football.

You want to know why we can't play that kind of football? Its not because its archaic (its not...it literally just won a national title) Because we are undisciplined as ****. Penalties, turnovers, just dumb **** after dumb **** on our roster doing dumb **** all of the time. We are ALWAYS behind schedule. TVD is no JJ McCarthy, but...remember Emory Williams v. Clemson and FSU? Yo...just not ******* turning the ball over had us beating and competing with the best in the ACC.

We run one of the dumbed down offenses in the nation and our head cases can't stop doing dumb ****.

Need more adults on the roster and maybe we can do this.
Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Michigan's player star numbers for 3 classes. Off ESPN
2020 0 5 stars, 15 4 stars, 8 3 stars
2021 0 5 stars, 12 4 stars, 11 3 star
2022 0 5 stars, 11 4 stars, 12 3 stars

Advertisement
Back