Michigan renegotiating Adidas deal and it's meaning to Miami

Paranos

All-ACC
Michigan is renegotiating their apparel deal with Adidas and taking new bids from Nike and Under Armour.

What will this mean for Miami if Adidas loses Michigan, would at that point Miami truly become Adidas's bell cow school. Could Michigan's potential loss be used to leverage money for lets say naming rights to an IPF for Miami.

http://www.maizenbrew.com/2015/5/15/8613667/report-adidas-nike-bid-on-michigan-apparel-deal

Report: Adidas, Nike Bid on Michigan Apparel Deal
posted by Drew Hallett on May 15, 2015

Numbers weren't revealed, but Matthew Kish of the Portland Business Journal received confirmations from both Adidas and Nike that the two have bid on Michigan's apparel contract. A bid from Under Armour should be on its way in the near future, too. Michigan has until August 31, 2015, to notify Adidas if it wants to exercise a five-year extension with Adidas or opt out once the current deal expires on July 31, 2016.

What do you want Michigan to do: stay with Adidas or opt out?

Last edited:
Advertisement
Obviously if Michigan goes with Nike, Adidas will be inclined to pay for Miamis Indoor Practice Facility naming rights.

Like my Great Grand Cousin always said "6 + 12 = Fettucini Stone Crabs"

Obviously if Michigan goes with Nike, Adidas will be inclined to pay for Miamis Indoor Practice Facility naming rights.

Like my Great Grand Cousin always said "6 + 12 = Fettucini Stone Crabs"

What I meant was Miami has openly said they are looking for a large donation to kick start the IPF fund raising an generally they largest donor gets their name put on the building. An a IPF would be the capstone on campus facility for Miami's athletic department to which Adidas would now make their Oregon, where Nike not only pumps money into uniforms but also the facilities as well.

**** I have mentioned in the past that Adidas could even use the naming rights to name the place after the Adidas founder Adolf"Adi" Dassler. Or get Adidas to pony up a large chunk of cash and get Stephen Ross to pony up a bigger amount to name the place after him (an understanding that UM will renew the dolphin stadium lease), since they both benefit greatly from an improved Miami.

Article on Adidas founder
http://www.bloomberg.com/bw/stories/2008-03-26/sneakers-*****-and-a-family-feud

So it will be interesting to see what happens.

Go Canes

I think I sort of get what the OP is saying. With Michigan gone, Miami could become Adidas' new cash cow and could assume Michigan's mantle as the "preferred school."

UM is no cash cow when merchandise sales tank. If the product on the field sucks, Addidas gets nothing out of it.

Advertisement
LMFAOO at Paranos attempting to link Michigan and a potential new jersey deal to Adidas paying for an indoor practice facility.

Last edited:
LMFAOO at Paranos attempting to link Michigan and a potential new jersey deal to Adidas paying for an indoor practice facility.

I agree. It ain't happening. Addidas will say they pay UM enough through the contract they have already. An IPF is not even in the top 10 list of things wrong with the program right now.

Paranos. I love you like a step sister. However.

Your posts should be saved for obscure DT's and OL's from the nether regions.

Once you try and start thinking.....things tend to go pear shaped.

I say this with the utmost in heterosexual love.

Flake: Hey Adidas, did you happen to hear me on The Hank Goldberg Show saying that the University of Miami is just one big donation away from requesting several thousand slightly smaller donations before we seek the permits required to construct an indoor practice facility?

Adidas: No we didn't, Flake. Did your wife receive those size 18 powerlifting boots she was screaming at you to ask us for? Click.

Advertisement
Paranos. I love you like a step sister. However.

Your posts should be saved for obscure DT's and OL's from the nether regions.

Once you try and start thinking.....things tend to go pear shaped.

I say this with the utmost in heterosexual love.

A step-sister in China that is 1 over the legal limit of girls in the same household? Yep, me too.

I think a sub .500 Miami team holds all the cards. Nothing hotter in college football right now than UM. Miami might be able to turn this into Adidas building us a new stadium too.

if addidas is smart they will throw the house on michigan. got the feeling it will pay off in a couple years.

Advertisement
realistically how many millions would an ipf take?

I would say about $18- $20 million due to south Florida cost basis. UF is building theirs for $15 million and FSU built theirs for the same price. I am thinking naming rights would cost in the $5+ million range or largest donation.

Ideally I would like see the biggest donation come from Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, to help UM put out a better product and help keep the future USFL kids home whom maybe swayed by better facilities elsewhere.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Miami has a lot of millionaires/billionaires....there will be no problem with a lead gift for the facility.

Advertisement
realistically how many millions would an ipf take?

I would say about $18- $20 million due to south Florida cost basis. UF is building theirs for $15 million and FSU built theirs for the same price. I am thinking naming rights would cost in the $5+ million range or largest donation.

Ideally I would like see the biggest donation come from Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, to help UM put out a better product and help keep the future USFL kids home whom maybe swayed by better facilities elsewhere.

Go Canes

Okay, I'll bite. Where in the crevasses of your cerebellum does it make sense to you that Ross would care one iota if South Florida high school talent stays in Miami- let alone compel him to invest in a practice facility that won't accomplish that feat and will be situated on a campus of a school he has no attachment to beyond a lease agreement? It's not 1942, buddy. The NFL doesn't rely on local talent to fill rosters. Bring this up at your next board meeting in mom's basement.

If the Miami administration fails to behave like those of elite football schools, Adidas will turn its back on Miami and try to get out of the deal it has already made.

@Tad when Miami is winning and winning with local talent more locals come out to the games which means more money for Ross. But I guess that big picture thought process escapes you.

Not to mention there has been pressure on Ross to donate to locally to UM not just to Michigan .

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/nfl/miami-dolphins/article1954675.html

Go watch The U 30 for 30 special they directly address the issue of UM wining with local talent helping attract fans and how the community felt about the Dolphins lack of local players.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back