2024 Michael Turner Jr, WR - John Curtis HS, New Orleans LA

Or maybe Mario was on his way to a top 10 class again before he left while Manny Diaz had 2 players committed to Miami. Yall just say anything and think you making sense.

So it was Phil Knight that had Mario recruiting right? But Mario comes to Miami and Miami has a better class than Oregon. Guess Phil Knight must have followed him from Oregon too.

Never said Cristobal wasn't a good recruiter, just that Oregon has some advantages that help with recruiting. It can make a good recruiter look great, and an average recruiter look good. Lanning just landed a top 10 class too, and he's been a HC for a grand total of 1 year.

Btw, Lanning had the #13 and #9 class respectively, Cristobal had the #16 and #7 class respectively, which means Lanning is actually slightly ahead right now if you average it out. And if you want to just look at 2023, the overall class average is almost the same - 284 (UM) to 278 (Oregon). The Ducks seem to be doing just fine on the recruiting front without Cristobal.

Advertisement
Never said Cristobal wasn't a good recruiter, just that Oregon has some advantages that help with recruiting. It can make a good recruiter look great, and an average recruiter look good. Lanning just landed a top 10 class too, and he's been a HC for a grand total of 1 year.

Btw, Lanning had the #13 and #9 class respectively, Cristobal had the #16 and #7 class respectively, which means Lanning is actually slightly ahead right now if you average it out. And if you want to just look at 2023, the overall class average is almost the same - 284 (UM) to 278 (Oregon). The Ducks seem to be doing just fine on the recruiting front without Cristobal.
2022 is in no way comparable between the two. We were in the 60s or 70s before Mario got here and then proceeded to land top 100 kids we weren’t even in it for. This narrative is just well bad.

Lanning had a great reputation on the trail before Oregon.

That’s one of the reasons he got the job.

You are right, that didn't make sense. Was talking about 2022. At least with UM, we always see a drop in recruiting rankings (usually a big one) when there is a HC change. Even with Cristobal leaving, the Ducks landed the #13 class in 2022 , which was better than UMs. Lanning hadn't even coached a game, Cristobal left, and they still got the #13 recruiting class. That suggests to me the recent recruiting success had more to do with Phil Knight and the school than it did with Cristobal.

Do you remember the **** storm Manny left Mario for that ‘22 class? Mario pulled a mini miracle. Mario’s ‘22 recruit average was higher than Oregon as well which is a better indicator of your class quality. If anything’22 is a ‘push’ but Mario was handed a class in the 50+ range incredibly late in that cycle.

‘23 he flat out passes Oregon and again with a higher recruit average.

You can criticize Mario for a few things, recruiting is not one of them.

Last edited:
Could it bc
Bc of qb
Guys signing this year aren’t signing up to play with dvd
So far we have brown who is asking to redshirt bc knows he can’t throw
And Judd who completes only half his passes
Only one decent one in Emory but nothing special
Mario needs to flip a big time qb
It’s mostly QB at this point from everything I hear now. When TVD leaves there’s no real option YET. Everyone else on the roster is just hope and dreams. Hiring Dawson has recruits ready to lock in. They just need a elite QB to pop

Last edited:
Advertisement
Do you remember the **** storm Manny left Mario for that ‘22 class? Mario pulled a mini miracle. Mario’s ‘22 recruit average was higher than Oregon as well which is a better indicator of your class quality. If anything’22 is a ‘push’ but Mario was handed a class in the 50+ range incredibly late in that cycle.

‘23 he flat out passes Oregon and again with a higher recruit average.

You can criticize Mario for a few things, recruiting is not one of them.

Again, I never said Cristobal isn't a good recruiter. What Im trying to figure out is why he is having so much trouble recruiting QBs and WRs. He didn't seem to have as much trouble at Oregon. I don't buy the argument that the troubles are due to 1 year of Gattis. If a head coach coach has a good reputation for getting WRs and QBs to the NFL , one bad OC shouldn't make a difference. And that should especially apply when the bad OC gets fired - recruits/transfers should be lining up to play for the HC knowing he is going to return to an explosive offense. That is, unless they don't trust the HC is truly committed to a high scoring offense and want to see it to believe it.

IF that is true, then the explanation for how Cristobal landed top WRs/QBs at Oregon, but isn't having success at Miami, could be due to some of the aforementioned built in advantages (Knight money, facilities, recruits seeing Oregon as one of the most exciting offenses and coolest programs when they were in elementary school and junior high).

Or maybe the explanation is Cristobal doesn't personally recruit those positions so it heavily depends on the position coaches/coordinators. If that's the case, then did be just gave have better recruiters at Oregon? I honestly don't have the answer.

For the 100th time, I'm not saying Cristobal isn't a good recruiter, so I wish you and others would stop with the strawman argument . What I'm trying to figure out is why elite QBs and WRs don't seem to be lining up to play for him like the top offensive linemen are. Whatever the case, I don't believe the narrative that the struggles are due to Gattis, and so will be solved by a good season by Dawson.

Last edited:
Could it bc
Bc of qb
Guys signing this year aren’t signing up to play with dvd
So far we have brown who is asking to redshirt bc knows he can’t throw
And Judd who completes only half his passes
Only one decent one in Emory but nothing special
Mario needs to flip a big time qb

I'm not making any specific accusations, but your posts have the structural appearance of Gary Ferman's posts...

Again, I never said Cristobal isn't a good recruiter. What Im trying to figure out is why he is having so much trouble recruiting QBs and WRs. He didn't seem to have as much trouble at Oregon. I don't buy the argument that the troubles are due to 1 year of Gattis.

And yet...it's the truth.

Take QB. Where is the "trouble recruiting QB", outside of Gattis? We got Jacurri's commit in March 2021. We RETAINED Jacurri's commit, and he enrolled in January 2022. So "Mario" was able to retain a QB purely on the strength of "Mario", since Gattis was not hired until February 2022. Then, BEFORE WE PLAYED A GAME, we had not one, but TWO QB commits, in Jaden Rashada and Emory Williams. Emory stuck (even as Gattis stunk) and we were outbid for Rashada. The REAL test of Gattis' impact comes after the season starts. Rashada decommitted in November 2022, and by that point everyone knew how bad Gattis was. And SINCE THAT TIME, we have not received a single new QB commit or enrollment. And now that Gattis is gone, that might be changing soon.

Clearly, the QB situation is closely linked to Gattis. TVD's incumbency might be scaring away 1-year rentals, but any QB who wants to compete is surely not terrified of trying to beat out Jacurri and Emory.

Now let's go to WR. This situation was baaaad before Mario arrived, so let's just try to figure out if Mario is problematic or if we can point to Gattis.

Horton (HS WR) - 4-star - committed under Manny, retained by Mario, enrolled May 2022
Young (JC WR) - 3-star - recruited under Mario, enrolled June 2022 before Gattis ever coached a game
Ladson (Portal WR) - 4-star HS/3-star transfer - recruited under Mario, enrolled January 2022 before Gattis was hired
Nathaniel Joseph (HS WR) - 4-star - committed in June 2022 before Gattis ever coached a game
Robby Washington (HS WR) - 4-star - committed in March 2022 before Gattis ever coached a game

So there are numerous reasons that establish that the WR (and QB) situation can be blamed on Gattis:

1. We got EVERY QB and WR recruit (3 QBs, 5 WRs) before anyone ever saw Gattis coach at UM.
2. We hit the wall with QB and WR recruiting once Gattis began to coach. Even though we had a QB decommit and we had plenty of WR spots to offer, NOBODY new wanted to be associated with Gattis once they saw his offense.
3. We almost lost a couple of the QB/WR names mentioned above BECAUSE OF Gattis.
4. We have now started to make headway with QB/WR recruits, getting our first WR verbal in 10 months (since Joseph).

I'm not sure why you "don't buy" that these issues are related to Gattis, but they are.

And yet...it's the truth.

Take QB. Where is the "trouble recruiting QB", outside of Gattis? We got Jacurri's commit in March 2021. We RETAINED Jacurri's commit, and he enrolled in January 2022. So "Mario" was able to retain a QB purely on the strength of "Mario", since Gattis was not hired until February 2022. Then, BEFORE WE PLAYED A GAME, we had not one, but TWO QB commits, in Jaden Rashada and Emory Williams. Emory stuck (even as Gattis stunk) and we were outbid for Rashada. The REAL test of Gattis' impact comes after the season starts. Rashada decommitted in November 2022, and by that point everyone knew how bad Gattis was. And SINCE THAT TIME, we have not received a single new QB commit or enrollment. And now that Gattis is gone, that might be changing soon.

Clearly, the QB situation is closely linked to Gattis. TVD's incumbency might be scaring away 1-year rentals, but any QB who wants to compete is surely not terrified of trying to beat out Jacurri and Emory.

Now let's go to WR. This situation was baaaad before Mario arrived, so let's just try to figure out if Mario is problematic or if we can point to Gattis.

Horton (HS WR) - 4-star - committed under Manny, retained by Mario, enrolled May 2022
Young (JC WR) - 3-star - recruited under Mario, enrolled June 2022 before Gattis ever coached a game
Ladson (Portal WR) - 4-star HS/3-star transfer - recruited under Mario, enrolled January 2022 before Gattis was hired
Nathaniel Joseph (HS WR) - 4-star - committed in June 2022 before Gattis ever coached a game
Robby Washington (HS WR) - 4-star - committed in March 2022 before Gattis ever coached a game

So there are numerous reasons that establish that the WR (and QB) situation can be blamed on Gattis:

1. We got EVERY QB and WR recruit (3 QBs, 5 WRs) before anyone ever saw Gattis coach at UM.
2. We hit the wall with QB and WR recruiting once Gattis began to coach. Even though we had a QB decommit and we had plenty of WR spots to offer, NOBODY new wanted to be associated with Gattis once they saw his offense.
3. We almost lost a couple of the QB/WR names mentioned above BECAUSE OF Gattis.
4. We have now started to make headway with QB/WR recruits, getting our first WR verbal in 10 months (since Joseph).

I'm not sure why you "don't buy" that these issues are related to Gattis, but they are.
Don’t forget Judd The Stud

Advertisement

So is Notre Dame without Kelly, Oklahoma without Riley, USC without helton, LSU without orgeron, Purdue without brom,duke without cutcliffe! There's more but I'm tired of typing.

How much of it was Phil Knight money and how much was Cristobal? Lanning had nearly as much recruiting success with the class of 2022 despite Cristobal leaving for Miami , and Lanning hadnt even coached a game yet. The Ducks had three things going for them -

1) they had one of the most electric offenses in football when a lot of HS recruits were starting to look at schools,
2) they were getting paid big time from Knight
3) Cristobal didn't have much Pac12 competition for the top west coast recruits

I'll even add a 4th advantage as a tribute to @Rellyrell, Oregon is THE Nike school and kids love it.

If it problem was just Gattis, why wouldn't recruits look past that and see it as a one year aberration? UM had a top 25 offense for the past two years and a QB who was breaking ACC records. Do you you believe one year of Gattis was all it took to make WRs think twice about playing in Cristobal offense, and so one year of Dawson fixes everything?
Mario had the 3 highest rated classes by 247 in Oregon history. That money youre talking about was there long before Mario was. So he had to have something to do with the recruiting success. And all Lanning had to do was pick up where Mario left off. The foundation for Lannings first class was laid by Mario. He's recruiting hs kids 3 years out, or more.

This thread shows why known Gators should not be allowed on a Canes website, despite his contributions. You can bet he is taking intel he gathers here and is sharing it elsewhere. It is the entire reason he is here. I have wondered this from the start.

:rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg::rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg::rk5i6fxwjlgev5j6.jpg: At comparing the 2022 classes

Advertisement
This thread shows why known Gators should not be allowed on a Canes website, despite his contributions. You can bet he is taking intel he gathers here and is sharing it elsewhere. It is the entire reason he is here. I have wondered this from the start.
Intel he’s sharing with who? Lol.

It’s a football message board not exactly earth shattering stuff going on over here.

They can read the board without joining as anonymous guests or as members with any account name. They’re on here constantly. Multiple gator fans have screenshot this board on 247 alone. There’s no stopping it which is why insiders hold or try to hold stuff back from the board until it’s safe to release it.

Advertisement

How was Oregon doing on the trail prior to Mario?

The Phil Knight narrative is laughable.

Advertisement
Back