Michael Nwoko Nike hoop summit

I would guess the first Big off the bench will still probably be AJ Casey.

I think it’s a pretty good chance we’ll pickup a Forward to replace Miller from the Portal who will start...

It remains to be seen if we’ll get a True Center as well.

Nwoko pretty much is a true 5 for a team playing the scramble defense. I wouldn't be surprised if they still try to add a veteran backup for Omier but I'd guess it'd be a similar player to Nwoko.

Casey IMO needs to spend all summer on his 3 pt shot. He's shown us he's not really an interior player. If he can play alongside Omier rather than back him up, that would make us a far more versatile team

Advertisement
I would guess the first Big off the bench will still probably be AJ Casey.

I think it’s a pretty good chance we’ll pickup a Forward to replace Miller from the Portal who will start...

It remains to be seen if we’ll get a True Center as well.
Casey better work hard on his jump shot because Nwoko will take minutes from him backing up Omier. I think Casey will be a good player but he’s not physical inside. If they battle inside at practice, Nwoko will take Casey’s lunch money.

Nwoko pretty much is a true 5 for a team playing the scramble defense. I wouldn't be surprised if they still try to add a veteran backup for Omier but I'd guess it'd be a similar player to Nwoko.

Casey IMO needs to spend all summer on his 3 pt shot. He's shown us he's not really an interior player. If he can play alongside Omier rather than back him up, that would make us a far more versatile team
Exactly. And will keep Casey off the court because he showed this year he is not a physical inside player. And physicality is hard to teach. Omier obviously has it. Nwoko has it at the high school level already.

Last edited:
Casey better work hard on his jump shot because Nwoko will take minutes from him backing up Omier. I think Casey will be a good player but he’s not physical inside. If they battle inside at practice, Nwoko will take Casey’s lunch money.
Nwoko has 30 pounds on AJ. This kid is just a perfect big for what Jim wants to do. Also with Jim, defense first.

Advertisement
Nwoko has 30 pounds on AJ. This kid is just a perfect big for what Jim wants to do. Also with Jim, defense first.

He is still fresh out of HS and good college centers like Philiposki, are going to school him intially.

Foul trouble is the biggest concern for big men as they transition up from any level of basketball.

Hopefully he gets early playing time to work himself through all that.

This is different than anything we’ve had come through here in a very long time. Big / long athletic , strong hands with a pretty **** back to the basket game. He has a nice soft half hook too. Stays attacking the rim.

Instant help.

Advertisement

By the end of Saturday’s game, it would have been easy to make the case the Miami (Florida) commit deserved to be considered the MVP, despite his team losing. Nwoko scored nine of the final 10 points for the World team, keeping the game competitive in the final few minutes. He finished with 17 points and eight rebounds in 18 minutes. He logged the best plus/minus of any player on either team at plus-19.

Animated GIF

He is still fresh out of HS and good college centers like Philiposki, are going to school him intially.

Foul trouble is the biggest concern for big men as they transition up from any level of basketball.

Hopefully he gets early playing time to work himself through all that.
Filipowski was a true freshman. Yes, a 5-star, but a true freshman no less and pretty dominant.

It is becoming clear Nwoko is significantly underrated. The kid stood out in a game filled with future college stars.

The kid wants to play defense and do dirty work around the boards. He has 3 inches on Norchad and he is about the same weight. Aire was way too light and needed another year in the weight room. AJ is pretty light as well. Nwoko comes with a college ready body.

He may give us more than just filler minutes.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Who we thinking will get more minutes Nwoko or Casey?
Initially Casey IF he develops his game away from the basket and can compliment Omier on offense while defending PF’s on defense (not physical enough to defend a true center)
But as a backup to Omier, Nwoko is taking those minutes. I know it’s just highlights, but Nwoko was easily the best inside player on both teams, both in terms of physicality, touch on shots, and desire. This kid wants to dominate. I agree with @Cribby that we have not had a player like this since maybe Tito Horford, you know, Al’s dad. A true physical inside presence with length. We’ve had tall guys and strong guys, but not a guy who brings both.
That offensive rebound, clear space and flat footed dunk near the end was BIG TIME.

Is it November yet? I’m ready for UM hoops.

Advertisement
On a separate note, Bronny James maybe a better 3 point shooter today than his dad. His form is certainly better but his dad was pretty much self taught and Bronny has had the best trainers (and LBJ) for his entire life so it’s probably not a fair comparison. He also has a head as big as his dad’s but on a 6’3” frame.

All this talk about Casey vs. Nwoko doesn't make sense to me. I picture Casey more like a Jordan Miller type, only a couple years removed from reaching some of that potential. I feel like he was forced into being a back up for Omier because Walker wasn't it, and Aire definitely wasn't it. I agree with the idea that he needs to work on being a shooter and being savvy and I think we definitely will have a place for him and any bigs that come to play.

And also, loving those Nwoko highlights. It was interesting hearing him in an interview where the guy asked him about Miami and why he wanted to go here, and after he mentioned the coaching staff he said something along the lines of, "they have a winning culture. And I hate losing." Canes basketball winning culture being a reason for a recruit to come. WATTBA

Advertisement
Back