Michael Johnson Close to Offer

Not sure , they have offered a lot of out of state safety's like Kiy Hester, Marquese Guyot and Jared Tucker.

Another interesting tidbit is this.
2015 Has a lot of DB's think like this
Shawn Burgess Becker
Jaquan Johnson
Calvin Brewton
Tim Irvin
Tyrek Cole

Granted some are CB's but in terms of secondary, 2015 is leagues beyond 2014. So, Miami could be waiting for the next class, However, in my honest opinion Miami should have offered Johnson a while ago

You see Burgess-Becker and Johnson as safeties?

Because if they are safeties I can see riding this cycle out with the players we have on the roster, but if not, I think we're making a mistake not going after Johnson.

2014 season we'll have: Bush, Jenkins, Carter, Lewis III, and Tolson (yes I know he's a walkon). That may be enough until 2015 reinforcements come in.

I don't see Burgess as a Safety yet, so far his play at WR is outstanding but I do want to see him as a safety. However, look at the guy's you just named.

Bush-supemely talented but his shoulder can be an issue

Jenkins-good just needs to get his head straight, had a subpar spring

Carter- Very injury prone, didn't have much of a junior tape because he had a lot of injuries.

I'm not saying we can't ride it out with those guys but thats banking on no severe injuries.

Advertisement
**** the staff is late to the party on Gayot. I mentioned the kid back in like feburary...and the kid like Johnson is already a Louisville Commit.

There just being real selective about their db or safety offers this year. Maybe their real confident in a few of the out of state guys like Hester, Springs.

They should be in on Johnson....but even if they arent Coach from Champagnat who is on here ....really needs to get him to the Golden camp the first week of next month...maybe they will make these guys battle for offers at the camp.

Is Springs a safety or a corner? I think he's a corner which should have nothing to do with Johnson.

Also, how confident are we on Hester? I don't like turning down local players who want to be Canes for OOS possibilities.

To be honest, the secondary isnt a big need on this team, the staff probably feels the same and they are being very selective

To be honest, the secondary isnt a big need on this team, the staff probably feels the same and they are being very selective

The thing is that we need to start having balanced classes. So we need to make every position a priority every year. We have been playing catch up at so many positions the last decade that we have forgotten what it's like to go into a recruiting cycle and not have glaring holes at a position.

Advertisement
We will take safeties this year. Just maybe not him. Stop turning "staff doesn't like player x" into "we are de-prioritizing safeties".

We will take safeties this year. Just maybe not him. Stop turning "staff doesn't like player x" into "we are de-prioritizing safeties".

I look at it the same way we approached WR last cycle. The staff was very selective with who they offered at WR because our depth afforded us that opportunity.

Maybe they're looking at safety the same way this cycle.

Last time I checked Ed Reed was an OOS possibility that we took over local talent. I think that worked out pretty well. Ya'll gotta chill on all this turning down all the local players. If players from out of state are getting graded higher than some of the in state kids, then so be it. The ultimate goal is to make a championship caliber team. Not a Home Grown Championship caliber team. You fit the pieces in by grabbing the best at each position you can get regardless of where they hail from.
Is Springs a safety or a corner? I think he's a corner which should have nothing to do with Johnson.

Also, how confident are we on Hester? I don't like turning down local players who want to be Canes for OOS possibilities.

I don't care that a player is local or not. I care that a player wants to commit to Miami.

Now if the coaches don't think he's Miami caliber that's one thing. But if they do think he's Miami caliber and are slow-playing him for an OOS player who may or may not commit that's another.

I'm not from Miami so I don't have the same "3 star SoFla > OOS 5 star" thinking. I just don't want the OOS to player to commit to another school and then try and get back into it with Johnson but it's too late.

Advertisement
I don't care that a player is local or not. I care that a player wants to commit to Miami.

Now if the coaches don't think he's Miami caliber that's one thing. But if they do think he's Miami caliber and are slow-playing him for an OOS player who may or may not commit that's another.

I'm not from Miami so I don't have the same "3 star SoFla > OOS 5 star" thinking. I just don't want the OOS to player to commit to another school and then try and get back into it with Johnson but it's too late.

thats the recruting game. we see players all the time that doesnt get the exposure or wasnt graded as high as a OOS player that we landed but wasnt as good as the player we let go. to tell you the truth ITS CHEAPER TO HAVE INSTATE PLAYERS so if our staff thought that we would have offered. at this point if he gets an offer he knows not to wait

I'm not saying we should offer kids like Quincy Wilson or Michael Johnson just to offer them, but when you make it a goal to "keep the home team home," then sometimes you offer local kids that you don't necessarily love to create a culture that encourages local kids to attend Miami.

Is Hester a better safety than Johnson or Wilson? Possibly, but those 2 kids play 7 on 7 and high school ball with a bunch of our recruiting targets, and Hester doesn't.

I'm not saying we should offer kids like Quincy Wilson or Michael Johnson just to offer them, but when you make it a goal to "keep the home team home," then sometimes you offer local kids that you don't necessarily love to create a culture that encourages local kids to attend Miami.

Is Hester a better safety than Johnson or Wilson? Possibly, but those 2 kids play 7 on 7 and high school ball with a bunch of our recruiting targets, and Hester doesn't.

thats a horrible idea, u take the best players u can get, regardless of location...no local stud is going to go to miami becuz michael johnson has an offer...miami will always be mostly south florida talent, it'll have a "home team vibe" as long as the school is in south florida

thats a horrible idea, u take the best players u can get, regardless of location...no local stud is going to go to miami becuz michael johnson has an offer...miami will always be mostly south florida talent, it'll have a "home team vibe" as long as the school is in south florida

It **** sure hurts the home team vibe to have Quincy and Chad Wilson running around trashing us to anyone who will listen.

Advertisement

It **** sure hurts the home team vibe to have Quincy and Chad Wilson running around trashing us to anyone who will listen.

If you got 1 17 year old who has 30 plus offers bashing us then don't you think he's just immature and wants attention instead of focusing on those other schools? If you have an alumni and a coach at a high school also talking this bad then don't you think that some people would wonder why he won't be more professional and control his kid also? Basically, if any recruit allows those 2 to get to them then they're not worth our time

So you're saying we should negotiate with terrorists essentially. If all it takes to get a roster spot is a bunch of noise on Twitter than that opens the floodgates. Quincy Wilson is a great prospect that the coaches see a flaw in...a flaw we are not privy to but obviously a pretty big one given that he is a highly rated legacy. I'd rather the coaches stick to their guns, because at the end of the day they are the ones accountable for what happens on the field.

Advertisement

So you're saying we should negotiate with terrorists essentially. If all it takes to get a roster spot is a bunch of noise on Twitter than that opens the floodgates. Quincy Wilson is a great prospect that the coaches see a flaw in...a flaw we are not privy to but obviously a pretty big one given that he is a highly rated legacy. I'd rather the coaches stick to their guns, because at the end of the day they are the ones accountable for what happens on the field.
If you offer this guy then what does that say to other recruits who want an offer? Bash the staff any chance you get and you too will scare the coaches to an offer. Smh please I rather the guys who bust their *** everyday and earn a scholarship not by talking to the media as an immature brat but a hard working man

I agree with the poster that said the staff is being selective with the safety spot seeing that they had a 2 year haul of Bush/Jenkins/Burns/Carter. Cant really blame or argue with them for that MJ is probably not as good as those 4 at the same stage ATM. Now I would bet anything that if MJ or QW played the DT spot we would be having a whole diff convo. Kinda like when the staff slow played Antonio Bryant back in 98-99'. It seemed F'd up at the time but nobody was complaining when AJ/Beard/Sands/Roscoe were dominating.

Advertisement
Back