Miami's recruiting efforts

CANEFAN83

Sophomore
With this potential great season and already good season, the fact we are approaching a top ten team with a higher ceiling ahead, I would think Miami and Coach L will be able to bring in some more transfers, great recruits, and some one and done guys like Lonnie Walker, etc.

Miami can continue moving forward what they are doing this season.

Advertisement
I would think kids would be clamoring to get to Miami!! Especially NY kids... Don't get it...

With this potential great season and already good season, the fact we are approaching a top ten team with a higher ceiling ahead, I would think Miami and Coach L will be able to bring in some more transfers, great recruits, and some one and done guys like Lonnie Walker, etc.

Miami can continue moving forward what they are doing this season.

I really don't think he is going to chase one-and-dones.

4-stars and Portal guys who fit. It's working.

If it aint broke dont fix it. I love the rosters we win with...and still ****ed about a fake scandal ruining 2-3 years of L's run with Miami.

If he can land a roster with 2-3 6'9/6'10ish PF/C who can step out and shoot...basically like Sam but just a touch more athletic. Watch out. I dont mean shoot 45% I just mean shoot well enough you have to respect it. Thats why I'm hoping we land Sorber from Philly...and I dont think he is a 1 and done type. Probably 2 and maybe even 3 years. Coach DJ is tight with him too...coached him in AAU. So we are in it heavy.

I think him and Jalil Bethea want to play together and DJ is on him too.

Advertisement
I think he's going to wait and see what the roster potentially looks like. Meaning, who stays. I know there's a 99% chance Wong goes, but he technically can come back.
pack and omier will definitely be back next year right since they are NIL guys? Plus we have to replace Miller and likely Wong.

Advertisement
I think he's going to wait and see what the roster potentially looks like. Meaning, who stays. I know there's a 99% chance Wong goes, but he technically can come back.

Wong should come back for a big *** NIL deal. Bank that, get even better, become a star and bank that money in case pro ball doesn't work out.

Is Coach L going to try to bring any other transfers in after this year Ala Pack and Omier besides the center miami signed?
Miller is gone for sure, I'm sure Wong goes so need a dude to replace him. I wouldn't be surprised if 1-2 guys hit the portal.

If Wong and everyone else stays then we can't bring anyone else in since we have that high school dude to replace Miller.

Miller is gone for sure, I'm sure Wong goes so need a dude to replace him. I wouldn't be surprised if 1-2 guys hit the portal.

If Wong and everyone else stays then we can't bring anyone else in since we have that high school dude to replace Miller.
It's still unknown what we have in the 2022 recruits -- Casey, Aire, Watson, Jovanovich, and the 2021 RS Robinson. I would think Aire would have the nod over the 2023 HS big.

I'm sure Coach L evaluates these guys every day in practice and has a pretty good idea who might be ready to play significant minutes next Fall, and who isn't.

Did you not see what occurred after last years deep run in the NCAA tournament?

Miami is better than ever. It is probably in the top 10 destinations for transfers. Why you ask? Less blue bloods to sit behind and instant starting capability. Not to mention our coaching staff, style of play, the weather, location, on campus stadium steps away, women and night life.

If our football program is to ever turn it around it needs to model our basketball program - which is now the leader.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I get why everyone thinks Wong is gone, but at least from early mocks, he isn't even listed in a lot of the 2 round mocks and in the ones he is, he's a late 2nd rounder. Not sure how much he can really do to improve his stock next year considering how well he's already played this year but also not really sure what the rush is to get of here just to be a likely 2nd round pick at best (I also know this logic hasn't applied to most of our athletes the past 10 years but would be nice to start to see it change).

I get why everyone thinks Wong is gone, but at least from early mocks, he isn't even listed in a lot of the 2 round mocks and in the ones he is, he's a late 2nd rounder. Not sure how much he can really do to improve his stock next year considering how well he's already played this year but also not really sure what the rush is to get of here just to be a likely 2nd round pick at best (I also know this logic hasn't applied to most of our athletes the past 10 years but would be nice to start to see it change).
I’m not sure there’s much he can do to improve his stock. There’s also more pro options than just the NBA.

Miami should be a Shanghai-La for Portal players.

A kid like Justin Johnson at UTRGV should be knocking down the door to come here next season. The NIL money he could get would be more than suitable as a financial precursor jumpstart before going on an arduous journey that would ultimately end up in either G-League or playing overseas.

Or a Guard like Quincy Olivari, he’d be highly sought after in the Portal by a bunch of SEC, Big XII & ACC teams.

Same thing with Denver Jones at FIU, a kid with his talent would demand lucrative NIL deals on the market while also having the chance to go to a big time school & actually win something while preparing themselves on the way to the next level.

And the best/most attractive part about recruiting potential Portal players like that is they would come to a system where they can still score plenty & take plenty shots because the style of Offense we play is very much Guard/Forward friendly & allows for a Big Man to eat when he gets his opportunities in the same way Omier is now. So, we can sell to these types of guys that you can come here & still be a primary scorer, while also being apart of a winning program. As opposed to going to a system that will cut all your shots in half because you have to run 700 back door cuts & pass the ball every 3 tenths of a second before you’re allowed to take a shot, like some rigid Coaches like to run lol.

As far as HS recruiting, I don’t think getting One & Dones is necessarily as bad as some might believe, if you can get a player who can help your team win while making a deep tourney run & is talented enough to be a lottery pick, I don’t see what would be the problem with landing one. The Portal essentially gives you the chance to replenish your team almost every year, so even if you lose a One & Done one year, the following season just find a good Portal player & you’re right back in it.

Advertisement
I don't think he gets drafted but he's tested the waters for two straight years and this is year 4 for him. If Covid didn't happen he would be done here. If we don't win it this year maybe he returns for a title run and gets his NIL money.

How are the traditional "one and done" teams doing this year, or any of the recent years? The teams winning it all in the last 10 years are actual teams, not stars jammed together to make a team. That model is proving to be a failure.

No way Wong returns, but if he did :))))
Have to believe Coach L and staff will capitalize off back to back great season and doing so with his own guys (Wong, Wooga, Joseph, Bev) and portal guys (Miller, Pack. Omier). If anyone can make an argument about success with portal guys --- it's us. I expect the school to remain basketball heavy success wise for the foreseeable future. Football is DEAD, (I would not mind at all completely investing in bball and baseball, football is a lost cause imo)

How are the traditional "one and done" teams doing this year, or any of the recent years? The teams winning it all in the last 10 years are actual teams, not stars jammed together to make a team. That model is proving to be a failure.
Alabama looks good this year with freshman five stars ...

Advertisement
Back