Miami wins because of D Line Depth & Experience

Hstokes1447

Junior
In the first 3 quarters of the FAU game Miami played 11 D Lineman, that is just 1 short of a full 3 deep. Playing a noon game in the Miami heat, that depth will be the difference in the outcome of this game. Also keep in mind that the gators are short handed on offensive line. We should see some fatigue set in for them late.

In 2012 the gators averages 67.2 offensive plays per game. If they have that same amount of plays against us, that averages out to 24.4 plays for each of the 11 defensive lineman in the rotation. That puts our guys at around just 6 snaps per quarter. With such a small number of snaps per quarter these guys will still be fresh in the 4th quarter allowing them to continue to play hard against the run.

This defensive line is also very experienced. There are only 3 underclassmen in that 11 man rotation. These guys have played in a lot of games and have seen it all. The stage will not be to big for them. If they take that experience to the game and play smart the big boys should be able to make some very key plays in this game.

DT Experience
RSR Curtis Porter played in 16 games
RSR Luther Robinson played in 21 games
RSR Justin Renfrow played in 23 games
JR Olsen Pierre played in 19 games
SO Jelani Hamilton played in 6 games

DE Experience
RSR David Gilbert played in 43 games
RSR Shayon Green played in 19 games
JR Anthony Chickillo played in 25 games
RSO Ufomba Kamalu played in 1 game (also saw action in 12 JUCO games)
SO Tyriq McCord played in 12 games
FR Al-Quadin Muhammad played in 1 game

That is a total of 186 games along the defensive line. That is a lot of football and will pay off big this weekend compared to the inexperienced gators offensive line.

Advertisement
Playing a lot of guys is nice but question is - are they good enough? Fowler, Easley, Powell are difference makers. Let's see if Porter, Pierre, Chick, McCord can be.

Playing a lot of guys is nice but question is - are they good enough? Fowler, Easley, Powell are difference makers. Let's see if Porter, Pierre, Chick, McCord can be.

I think Gilbert (2012 Consensus honorable mention All-Big Ten selection) will be a difference maker on this d line.

OP is talking about attrition late in the game. Yes all the guys you named are diff makers but who are the guys behind them and how good are they? FL lost a lot of talent in the front 7 last year and its going to show up this Saturday.

Advertisement
Make no mistake, this will likely be the best defense we face all season.

gators go three deep at Defensive Line too...and heat will not be an advantage for either team. It's gonna come down to who ever wants in more in the 4th quarter. Kinda like 2008 with a different result this year!

I think playing in that type of heat WILL have an effect on ALL of the big guys....The type of heat in Gainesville is markedly different than the type of heat in Miami. The main question is which teams big guys are use to playing in that type of heat. I mean even Art Kehoe was saying it will be about 115 on the field.

Heat will not be a factor in this game. **** ever been to Gainesville for a game in September? Its brutal and there is zero wind.

Advertisement
I meant it isnt going to be advantage cuz both teams big men are gonna be dying on the field. Just gotta play thru it.
I think playing in that type of heat WILL have an effect on ALL of the big guys....The type of heat in Gainesville is markedly different than the type of heat in Miami. The main question is which teams big guys are use to playing in that type of heat. I mean even Art Kehoe was saying it will be about 115 on the field.

gators go three deep at Defensive Line too...and heat will not be an advantage for either team. It's gonna come down to who ever wants in more in the 4th quarter. Kinda like 2008 with a different result this year!

You making things up? I've been looking through a gator board today and many of them are concerned about their second unit on the DL

I agree with you stat. I like our chances with the heat though. BTW i'm a BIGGGG fan of your youtube videos.

MAJOR ADVANTAGE: if we speed the tempo up with an uptempo attack they WILL wear down. They can't speed up because Driskell is dreadfully inaccurate.

Advertisement

I know they go 3 deep at DL, but who are the proven players besides the ones already named? How much experience do they have?
You don't lose diff makers in your D line, front 7, replace them and be just as good. Bama has recruited as good or better than UF recently and they didn't just replace all those guys they lost on the OL. I didn't c those holes opening up against VT like I saw the last few years while playing the bigger stronger DL's in the SEC.

You making things up? I've been looking through a gator board today and many of them are concerned about their second unit on the DL

Florida DE Depth
RJR Ronald Powell 6-4 234 (will play SAM more than he will play DE)
SO Dante Fowler Jr. 6-3 263
SO Jonathan Bullard 6-3 265
RFR Bryan Cox Jr. 6-3 260
RFR Alex McCalister 6-5 238

Florida DT Depth
SR Dominique Easley 6-2 283
SR Damien Jacobs 6-3 286
JR Darious Cummings 6-1 309
JR Leon Orr 6-5 310

Other than the guys listed they only have 5 true freshmen defensive lineman on the roster.

Florida has an athletic but very undersized defensive line only averaging 272 pounds across the line. They are also very young and inexperienced at the defensive end position. I like our big and experienced offensive line against these guys.

Yes. He is. I think guys assume uf#g is deep on the DL just because they have a few star 1st teamers. They've got more proven stars than us on the DL, but we've got more solid depth. There's not much of a dropoff between most of our guys.

Advertisement
Florida LB Depth

SR Darrin Kitchens 37 career tackles
RJR Michael Taylor 68 career tackles
RJR Neiron Ball 20 career tackles
SO Antonio Morrison 34 career tackles
FR Daniel McMillian 0 career tackles

To put this in perspective Shayon Green had 67 tackles in 2012 alone!!!!

Other than the guys listed above Florida only has 5 scholarship LB's 1 SO, 1 RFR, & 3 true freshmen. This is not a LB core to be afraid of, Antonio Morrison is they only guy in this group with serious talent. This is a front 7 that can be pushed around, and I believe we will do just that come Saturday.

gcanes44 Hold up Playa.... I said they go three deep because their coaches said they rotate over 8 guys on the DL alone. Then our coach (Coach Golden) who I THINK knows what he is talking about also ECHO'D that they go 3 deep and all the guys that come in can play. So no I'm not making Sh*t up...I read and I listen. I also unfortunately have a best friend who for all the dumb luck in the world went to Florida is a huge football nut but probably one of the best gator fans I've ever met if that could even be possible. He happens to be one of the more level headed gator fans I converse with and he confirmed that even though we might not know some of the guys at the DL, they are stacked there and its their strongest point on defense. DBs are second. So believe what you want because you will anyways but they DL is better than ours and we will have our hands full with them.

Gator friend also gave me the tidbit that they are absolutely horrible at being able to cover a tightend to save their lives. That and intermediate routes across the middle have been a problem for them. Also says that our RB screens make him very nervous cuz the DL run downhill so quickly that sometimes they fail to recognize the screen.

I'll stand by my call that both teams will suffer thru the heat. However their DL I give the nudge to, but I have more faith in our OL than I'm sure they have in theirs. Wait what am I talking about. They are delusional and think they have the best offense and defense in America.

Thx theibisrules

i can't wait! We back when our D-line actually wins games for us... not sure that will happen this week. We need our O-line to win this game.

Lots of guys playing for NFL attention or else they'll never play football again

Balls to the wall

Advertisement
Back