Miami/Wake Forest Jan 6 Game Thread

Advertisement
Yep, because last year's team was huge, with insane length:rolleyes:. I'm convinced people show up after losses just to complain, and know NOTHING about the team nor what they do. Wake was a tough matchup, and despite that, Miami had a chance to win it late. Turnovers and not finishing defensive possessions will get you beat, and that's what happened today. You can't have the unforced errors and expect to win on the road. At least half of our turnovers were the unforced variety.
At this point last year I think we had the same record so I'm not sure what your point is.

Advertisement
With George our talent 1-6 is at least as good as last year. George is a freshman and Cleveland is a sophomore - they will be better than Wong and Miller in 2-3 years.
That’s a hot take considering those 2 were 1st /2nd team ACC last year.

Advertisement
We remain lights out from behind the 3pt arc and at the FT line. Two very important factors.

Bensley 1-9 from the field. He has those games now and then.

As sixth man, Watson plays more than half the game (22 minutes) and scores one point and pulls down 4 boards.

Pack was 50% on his 6 three pt attempts but only 3-11 on the rest of his shots from the field.

I'm still wondering why Coach L sent Wooga back into the UNF game after clearly being in pain and hobbling the first time he rolled that ankle. Why send him back out later to only do the same thing again/worsen the injury?

We give up 44 points in the First Half; only 29 in the Second. 44 is way too many, even to a solid team like Wake.

1704589910043.png

Wake had superior length over Miami. Show me where I said Miami had insane length last year Canedud. If you don’t think our talent level has dropped we’re not watching the same teams.
When you said “This team isn’t long enough to make it in March” Guess what, last years team wasn’t super long, and look what happened. Never mind the fact that one can easily argue this years team is more athletic and longer than last years squad, the biggest difference is experience and intangibles. Outside of Wong and Miller, this team returned most of the major pieces and actually added some talent. We didn’t have a guy like George in last years team, for as good as Wooga was, he doesn’t have George’s handle.
At this point last year I think we had the same record so I'm not sure what your point is.
The point I'm making is that this team has just as much chance of making a run as last year's team, especially when one considers the rapid growth of George and how this team has performed, despite not being totally healthy for the past month.

I actually feel better about the long term of this team after this game. George is going to be 6th man of the year material when Wooga is back and we should have beaten a good Wake team without our best player.

We’re going to be ok. Just need to go 2-0 next week and legitimately finish January no worse than 8-2 In ACC.

Advertisement
I actually feel better about the long term of this team after this game. George is going to be 6th man of the year material when Wooga is back and we should have beaten a good Wake team without our best player.

We’re going to be ok. Just need to go 2-0 next week and legitimately finish January no worse than 8-2 In ACC.
I’d have Joseph come off the bench when Wooga comes back.

When you said “This team isn’t long enough to make it in March” Guess what, last years team wasn’t super long, and look what happened. Never mind the fact that one can easily argue this years team is more athletic and longer than last years squad, the biggest difference is experience and intangibles. Outside of Wong and Miller, this team returned most of the major pieces and actually added some talent. We didn’t have a guy like George in last years team, for as good as Wooga was, he doesn’t have George’s handle.

The point I'm making is that this team has just as much chance of making a run as last year's team, especially when one considers the rapid growth of George and how this team has performed, despite not being totally healthy for the past month.
Hello, Wong and Miller were the major pieces last year. We don’t have scorers and leadership in this class like we had last year, plus we’re missing a big man in the middle. I never said this team isn’t long enough to make it in March. I never spoke those words but I’ll eat all of the ones I did say if we make it to the Final 4. I just don‘t see it without having one or two big guys to control the middle.

Advertisement
Hello, Wong and Miller were the major pieces last year. We don’t have scorers and leadership in this class like we had last year, plus we’re missing a big man in the middle. I never said this team isn’t long enough to make it in March. I never spoke those words but I’ll eat all of the ones I did say if we make it to the Final 4. I just don‘t see it without having one or two big guys to control the middle.
We don't have scoring? C'mon, man. We've got that in droves, even minus Wooga.

Who was the "second big guy to control the middle" we had last season? You talking about Walker?

Good comments. Some people think we're gonna win them all. Winning road games against quality opponents is tough in the ACC, esp w/out your best player.

Where did I say that they weren't major pieces? Did you ignore the part where I specifically noted that outside of Wong and Miller, Miami returns MOST of their major pieces from last year. Miami has done a good job of replicating Wong and Miller's production with Wooga and Cleveland. The issue is that there are some small things that Jordan and Isaiah did that Wooga and Cleveland aren't comfortable doing. That said, it's unlikely Miami would have found exact copies of those two players, barring cloning them. What makes Jordan Miller unique is his level of skill. Dude is a winning basketball player, he rarely made mistakes and he was a swiss army knife in regards to versatility. Cleveland is a better athlete than Miller, but isn't nearly as versatile due to his body and personality type.

Miami didn't have a ton of size last year, this team will only go as far as Omier, because this team is limited in regards to interior bulk. That said, this team is more dangerous from deep than last year's team. This team can fill it up from deep, with Pack, Wooga, George, and Bens all being legit threats from deep(Cleveland has shown the ability to hit, but that isn't really his game) and Omier is now a competent shooter from deep. Never mind the fact that Watson has shown the ability to hit when the opportunity presents itself. Miami will be able to score with anyone, the question is whether this team can string together stops when needed, due to the aforementioned lack of interior bulk.

Advertisement
Back