Miami Vs NC State By The Numbers

Blitz Morris and he sucks. He’s a worse version of Klubnik when he’s pressured. And we saw how many times Klubnik turned it over. They shouldn’t score more than 17 points.

As long as Miami just doesn’t show up and the offense doesn’t give it away 3 or more times, State has no path to win this game.

Their defensive really is nothing to write home about. ND lit them up. Marshall lit them up. UVA gave the game away and scored 21 with the freshman backup QB playing. Duke scored 24 with their backup QB going 4/12 FOR THE WHOLE GAME. UCONN ran the ball for 6 YPC. The only legitimate game they played was against Louisville. They turned them over 3 times in a **** show. They were 3/13 on third down and had 200 yards against Clemson. Klubnik gave it away.

No excuse to lose this game. Miss me with the “road night game” bull****. I’ve been in that stadium for more night games than I can count, it’s fine, nowhere near an elite atmosphere to be worried about. If you can’t outscore this team, hang it up.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Fun Fact I’ve known Kevin “KC” Concepcion since middle school & he actually told me if we would’ve offered he would’ve considered and probably committed! Now he’s having a great freshman year! All we have to do is shut him down & we’ll be good!

Here’s a look at some numbers of Miami Vs NC State. The right column “Vs NCState” is them on the other side of the ball. So points per game. Miami scores 33.6 ranking 23rd and NC State gives up 25 ranking 52nd.

CategoryMiamiVs NCStateNC State Category
Points Per Game33.6 (23rd)25.0 (52nd)Opp Points Per Game
Opp. Points per Game21.9 (35th)22.4 (91st)Points Per Game
Total Offense YPG437 (27th)357 (43rd)Defense YPG
Offense Yards Per Play6.4 (15th)5.2 (41st)Defense YPP
Pass Rating150 (28th)125 (40th)Def Pass Rating
Pass O261 (41st)234 (67th)Def Pas O
Yards Per Att8.9 (35th)7.1 (54th)Def Yards Per Att
Rush O175.7 (36th)123 (34th)Def Rush O
Yards per Cary5.1 (18th)3.7 (41st)Def Yards Per Cary
Red Zone O89.29 (32nd)94.7 (125th)Def Ref Zone
Sacks Allowed1 (9th)3.0 (21st)Def Sacks
TFL Allowed4.6 (32nd)6.6 (28th)Def TFL
Completion %68.8 (12th)58 (32nd)Def Comp %
3rd Down O %42.35 (45th)31.3 (19th)Def 3rd down
Total Defense YPG343 (35th)305 (116th)Offense YPG
Defensive YPP4.9 (30th)4.5 (115th)Off YPP
Passer Rating120 (27th)108 (120th)Off Passer Rtg
TFL7.9 (8th)6.75 (102nd)Off TFL Allowed
Sacks3.3 (12th)2.1 (75th)Off Sacks Allowed
Rush D94.6 (12th)119 (98th)Rush O
Yards per Cary3 (10th)3.6 (96th)Off ypc
Red Zone D %82.7 (63rd)77.8 (100th)Red Zone O
Pass D249 (91st)186 (104th)Pass O
Yards Per Attempt7 (47th)5.9 (117th)Off ypa
Completion %55.2 (13th)53.6 (118th)Off Completion%
3rd Down D %35.2 (36th)33.9 (98th)Off 3rd Down
Penalty Yards Per Game71.3 (126th)51 (67th)Penalty Yards perfect game
Avg TOP31:4 (26th)29:4 (76th)Avg TOP
Turnover Margin-.3 (82nd)+.3 (46th)Turnover Margin
FG%93.75 (8th)80 (46th)FG %
Avg Scoring Margin+11.7 (20th)-2.6 (75th)Avg Scoring Margin

I’ll be blunt here. They aren’t very good on offense. Kevin Concepcion is their play maker. Limit his ability to make plays and the defense has a much easier day. Defensive line should be able to feast. I like our secondary to have a needed good day. They switched QB to Morris and he hasn’t been great. He was efficient against Clemson. Against Marshall he threw 3 int (cough cough Guidry).

Their success isn’t led by the offense, clearly. In ACC play they are avg 16 points a game. But on defense, they are playing hard and forcing teams to struggle and keeping games close. They have held ACC teams to an avg 18.75. A negative net scoring margin in ACC play and in total shouldn’t equate to 5-3 but it does for them. Playing solid defense and winning the turnover battle helps. They avg nearly 2 TO forced a game which is 20th in country.

Don’t get me wrong, they are not the best defense in the country. Holding teams to 31% on third down (19th) though is very good. Creating 3 sacks and 6.6 TFL a game (both top 30) help lead to that 3rd down success.

Keys to the Game.
On paper, this game has a lot of similarities to Clemson. We are up against not a good offense but a solid defense. Truly the only thing that should stop us, is US. That’s a bit of a ****y way of saying we are the better team. But like the UVA game we are. If we play down to NC State, it looks like Virginia. We play up to our potential, it looks more like A&M. There’s more general areas to focus on then specific points.

- Goes without saying, but will the real TVD please stand up? He plays anything like pre-GT, I have no worries about this game. He has played well against NC State in the past. In my personal opinion, I think we see that. But, we all no what opinions are like and matter.
- Defensively, just play our game. Limit Concepcion and big plays. That offense can’t sustain drives. But giving up big plays will keep them around. And on the road, that’s not helpful against a solid defense.
- QB play aside, which Oline performance do we get. The Clemson/AM one that played above the talent level, or the GT/UVA that played down. Their front 7 is solid and well coached, but our Oline has proven they can move people and protect the QB. Let’s play up to the competition.
- As a team, sound like a broke record here, but limit turnovers. They will force turnovers and emphasize forcing fumbles. Need to protect the ball.

I felt to confident against UVA in my prediction. Obviously TVD play was the biggest factor last Saturday. But I think there was more to it than mentioned with the players and the virus that went around. Mario mentioned some players today on his show that were under the weather. I don’t think this team comes out that slow. When one area struggles, we usually see an improvement game to game. I think we see a more complete performance on Saturday.

Canes 34 - NC State 23
Good stuff.
Disagree about the OL playing poorly against VA though. Not sure what more you can ask from this young OL. They were moving people in run game, gave up no sacks, very few pressures.
Our QB sucks and made the team one dimensional but the OL did a **** of job IMO.

Turnovers. Our entire season is whether we turn the ball over significantly more than the opponent or not. We win the TO battle we win.
100%.
If TVD keeps his turnover rate, he’s had over his last three starts, we don’t win another game this season.
Three of the teams left on the schedule are significantly better than GT and VA IMO,
BC is might not be but we always have trouble in Chestnut Hill late in the season.
Picks and fumbles have killed this team this season.

Advertisement
We seem to only get 50-60 plays a game. It's hard for me to imagine 30 points anymore. Since GT it's like 06 had a baby with 13 and gave us 23.

This year we are at around 68 plays per game (ranked 84th). With Lashlee it was closer to 76 plays per game in both 2021 and 2022 (ranked 33rd and 24th respectively). So the offense doesn't just look slower, it is slower. I don't think that's helping TVD.

Here’s a look at some numbers of Miami Vs NC State. The right column “Vs NCState” is them on the other side of the ball. So points per game. Miami scores 33.6 ranking 23rd and NC State gives up 25 ranking 52nd.

CategoryMiamiVs NCStateNC State Category
Points Per Game33.6 (23rd)25.0 (52nd)Opp Points Per Game
Opp. Points per Game21.9 (35th)22.4 (91st)Points Per Game
Total Offense YPG437 (27th)357 (43rd)Defense YPG
Offense Yards Per Play6.4 (15th)5.2 (41st)Defense YPP
Pass Rating150 (28th)125 (40th)Def Pass Rating
Pass O261 (41st)234 (67th)Def Pas O
Yards Per Att8.9 (35th)7.1 (54th)Def Yards Per Att
Rush O175.7 (36th)123 (34th)Def Rush O
Yards per Cary5.1 (18th)3.7 (41st)Def Yards Per Cary
Red Zone O89.29 (32nd)94.7 (125th)Def Ref Zone
Sacks Allowed1 (9th)3.0 (21st)Def Sacks
TFL Allowed4.6 (32nd)6.6 (28th)Def TFL
Completion %68.8 (12th)58 (32nd)Def Comp %
3rd Down O %42.35 (45th)31.3 (19th)Def 3rd down
Total Defense YPG343 (35th)305 (116th)Offense YPG
Defensive YPP4.9 (30th)4.5 (115th)Off YPP
Passer Rating120 (27th)108 (120th)Off Passer Rtg
TFL7.9 (8th)6.75 (102nd)Off TFL Allowed
Sacks3.3 (12th)2.1 (75th)Off Sacks Allowed
Rush D94.6 (12th)119 (98th)Rush O
Yards per Cary3 (10th)3.6 (96th)Off ypc
Red Zone D %82.7 (63rd)77.8 (100th)Red Zone O
Pass D249 (91st)186 (104th)Pass O
Yards Per Attempt7 (47th)5.9 (117th)Off ypa
Completion %55.2 (13th)53.6 (118th)Off Completion%
3rd Down D %35.2 (36th)33.9 (98th)Off 3rd Down
Penalty Yards Per Game71.3 (126th)51 (67th)Penalty Yards perfect game
Avg TOP31:4 (26th)29:4 (76th)Avg TOP
Turnover Margin-.3 (82nd)+.3 (46th)Turnover Margin
FG%93.75 (8th)80 (46th)FG %
Avg Scoring Margin+11.7 (20th)-2.6 (75th)Avg Scoring Margin

I’ll be blunt here. They aren’t very good on offense. Kevin Concepcion is their play maker. Limit his ability to make plays and the defense has a much easier day. Defensive line should be able to feast. I like our secondary to have a needed good day. They switched QB to Morris and he hasn’t been great. He was efficient against Clemson. Against Marshall he threw 3 int (cough cough Guidry).

Their success isn’t led by the offense, clearly. In ACC play they are avg 16 points a game. But on defense, they are playing hard and forcing teams to struggle and keeping games close. They have held ACC teams to an avg 18.75. A negative net scoring margin in ACC play and in total shouldn’t equate to 5-3 but it does for them. Playing solid defense and winning the turnover battle helps. They avg nearly 2 TO forced a game which is 20th in country.

Don’t get me wrong, they are not the best defense in the country. Holding teams to 31% on third down (19th) though is very good. Creating 3 sacks and 6.6 TFL a game (both top 30) help lead to that 3rd down success.

Keys to the Game.
On paper, this game has a lot of similarities to Clemson. We are up against not a good offense but a solid defense. Truly the only thing that should stop us, is US. That’s a bit of a ****y way of saying we are the better team. But like the UVA game we are. If we play down to NC State, it looks like Virginia. We play up to our potential, it looks more like A&M. There’s more general areas to focus on then specific points.

- Goes without saying, but will the real TVD please stand up? He plays anything like pre-GT, I have no worries about this game. He has played well against NC State in the past. In my personal opinion, I think we see that. But, we all no what opinions are like and matter.
- Defensively, just play our game. Limit Concepcion and big plays. That offense can’t sustain drives. But giving up big plays will keep them around. And on the road, that’s not helpful against a solid defense.
- QB play aside, which Oline performance do we get. The Clemson/AM one that played above the talent level, or the GT/UVA that played down. Their front 7 is solid and well coached, but our Oline has proven they can move people and protect the QB. Let’s play up to the competition.
- As a team, sound like a broke record here, but limit turnovers. They will force turnovers and emphasize forcing fumbles. Need to protect the ball.

I felt to confident against UVA in my prediction. Obviously TVD play was the biggest factor last Saturday. But I think there was more to it than mentioned with the players and the virus that went around. Mario mentioned some players today on his show that were under the weather. I don’t think this team comes out that slow. When one area struggles, we usually see an improvement game to game. I think we see a more complete performance on Saturday.

Canes 34 - NC State 23
Dang good write up man. However, stats don't win games ... Players do!

Advertisement
Dang good write up man. However, stats don't win games ... Players do!
Thank you, I appreciate it. Ya I agree 1000%. I’m an analytical guy, work in data. I played as well and enjoy correlating the two. It’s interesting to do this and go back after the game. If it were an exact science, I’d be rich and use it to bet.

Miami simply doesn't lose to NCST. We're 4 for our last 4 against the pup pack going back over a decade. And if there's one thing I know about Miami it's that nothing ever really changes.

Offseason champs
Lose to a GT or Duke
Win horrifically against UVA
7-5 or 8-4
Hire a Miami guy

Outliers few and far between. Miami 26 NCST 17

One thing the stats do not take into account is how healthy we are.
From what I am hearing it seems like we may have almost all our RBs available Saturday night. We have not been able to say that in a while.
Let's pound the rock and utilize all the different types of skillsets the RBs have. That will take major pressure off TVD and will open things up down field.

Advertisement
From what I am hearing it seems like we may have almost all our RBs available Saturday night. We have not been able to say that in a while.
Let's pound the rock and utilize all the different types of skillsets the RBs have. That will take major pressure off TVD and will open things up down field.
Yea that’s for sure. As a team we are a bit banged up

8A458A92-FD1D-4633-8B89-D6311BAD7477.jpeg

Agreed, I think we should give TVD the same gameplan we gave Williams against Clemson. Pound the rock, safe horizontal passing to playmakers to limit the chance for INTs, then when the D has crept all the way up, go play action. I'd say throw deep but I'm just not sure that TVD has the strength right now to hit deep passes and I'm concerned about him underthrowing the WR and giving the DB a chance to undercut it. Conservative football wins this game.

Advertisement
Sorry, yea I explained in the first part. But the NC State column is Vs them. So we allow 4.6 TFL and the get 6.6 TFL.

I didn’t want to do our TFL allowed Vs their TFL allowed as it’s not really relatable.

So everything for our numbers and rankings Vs the opponents. I’ll think of another way to make it more clear.
I think it was laid out very well our offense stats vs counterpart Defense stats - crystal clear to me. Thanks for the work here.

100%.
If TVD keeps his turnover rate, he’s had over his last three starts, we don’t win another game this season.
Three of the teams left on the schedule are significantly better than GT and VA IMO,
BC is might not be but we always have trouble in Chestnut Hill late in the season.
Picks and fumbles have killed this team this season.
Do the Patriots and BC share the same snow plow drivers

MOrris and the WR worked the entire bye week prior to Clemson to try and build more chemistry to give their offense a lift.

In addition to Conception, there is a 2nd WR that is Morris's go-to guy: Keyone Lesane. He made a big play during the Clemson game to keep a drive alive. This is what MOrris said about him:

"You can always trust Keyon to be in the spot he's supposed to be," "You can always trust him to make the play when he's supposed to make it. On that play -- I think it was third down, third and nine I want to say -- when we were backed up a little bit. I went through my progression and the D-lineman got in my face.

"I didn't see Keyon, but I trust him. I knew where he was going to be because I had thrown it to him in that spot so much."

Morris has been working more again this week with his WR, especially on his deep balls.
In anticipation of Miami blitzing and trying to get pressure on Morris, he worked this week on plays to take advantage of one on one coverage.

"I do get excited but I know I have to get a little bit more consistent with my deep ball," "I know sometimes I might throw it a little short. If they're going to keep giving one-on-ones, that's why I was working outside. I was a little late here because I was working outside. We're going to be more accurate, more consistent and I'm going to get the ball out of my hand a little quicker since they're starting to blitz a lot more."

Hopefully Guidry has the secondary ready........

Advertisement
Back