Miami vs FSU: Defensive Vulnerabilities

Good breakdown Lu. Jimbo would have to be a dumbo not to spread Miami out with 3-4 WR's and make them cover in space. Kids like Futch had better not even see the field. I'd line VT up closer to the line and play Swasey back deep just to keep Futch from being a liability. I'd also bring in Finnie. He's young but aggressive. I'd rather go down swinging than just allowing FSU WR's to roam free.

For us to really have a good chance of winning(which I think we do), then we need long sustaining drives. No 3 and outs. Even if we miss out on points, we need to eat the clock and make it a boring game if possible. Miller, James,Clements all day. The games in which we've gotten into shootouts Va Tech,K St and UVA, haven't been good. The games where we have been boring but effective-OSU,GT,Duke, we've done well. Stick with what has been working.

On offense, I think our best chance to win is to spread them out as well. On paper, I don't like Jacory Harris against their zones. I rather see the gaps in those zones increase by stretching across. I also think that's our best chance to run the ball effectively.

Those three games - OSU, GT, Duke - you reference at the end of your post, feature the 3 worst QBs I've seen so far. OSU and GT's QBs couldn't throw an accurate pass. Duke's QB was frantic and checked down in a panic.

Consider me concerned about Manual's ability to be more effective than those guys.

Lu, waht I meant about our "boring" games was more from an offensive standpoint. We need to make this a boring game on offense to protect our defense IMO. Trying to get into another shootout will fail I think. Long drives, no 3 an outs. No costly penalties and win the special teams battle.

The four phases of the game are easily definable as to who has the advantage.

Offense- UM, simply because our running game is more consistent and we are deeper at the skill positions. If both starting QB's were to be knocked out, Morris gives us the better chance IMO.

Defense- FSU and we all know why.

Special teams- Toss up. But we have played soooo much better this year. A big play here can tilt the game.

Coaching-? This will eventually decide it. Once the emotion of the early part of the game subsides and the schemes and strategies starting revealing themselves,we will have an idea of who is winning this battle.

Xtra's- penalties & turnovers. Both teams have in the past been sloppy in both categories. They create more than we do.

Advertisement
if they're like every other defense.. the will stuff the box and force jacory to win the game.

Nothing about our Defense gives me much confidence going up against FSU.... nothing....

However, I do think we can score ...

If we can hold them to 24.. i think we can win. 31-24 Canes

JC

How many teams have the 'Canes held under 24 on the road? I believe just one right (UNC?)...I think every game the 'Canes have played, the oppoent has managed at least 24pts, sans the GT/* games.

Nothing about our Defense gives me much confidence going up against FSU.... nothing....

However, I do think we can score ...

If we can hold them to 24.. i think we can win. 31-24 Canes

JC

How many teams have the 'Canes held under 24 on the road? I believe just one right (UNC?)...I think every game the 'Canes have played, the oppoent has managed at least 24pts, sans the GT/* games.

Surprisingly we have only played 3 road games and we held 2 of them to 24, but I get your point. I think it's going to be hard to hold FSU below 30. Then again, last time I thought we were going to get destroyed, we dominated... but that was GT and they are 1 dimensional.

As much as I don't expect much out of our D, I do expect (i.e. hope and pray) to see ONE thing tomorrow afternoon...

HITTING!

It drives me crazy how soft we play on D. It's one thing to simply not have the bodies (e.g. DE's at DT), or to make ME's, but if you're out there playing against F$U, HIT SOMEONE HARD. That's all I ask. Lay the wood. Go 100 mph, Perryman style (amazing-the first player that comes to mind is a frosh). We ***** up all the time and give up big plays, but it's so much harder to watch when we are not physical.

And make no mistake, the 'Noles are physical. If we don't match that intensity, we get walked. I think that's a huge part of the game, X's and O's aside. We have to come strong.

Unfortunately, I've seen very, very little of that from us this year... only flashes from certain players. Our entire D can make up for a lot of shortcomings by being physical.

Hope they can get their minds right.

I can live with a lot of things, but being manhandled is not one of them.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back