Miami vs FSU: Defensive Vulnerabilities

there should never be a "2nd and 22 - No Blitz" ever.. especially when it's that far down field.. you need time to be able to cover that kind of ground.. and i feel like we're almost happy to give opposing qbs that time.

Advertisement
No qb has really impressed me this year. We just make them all look like Heisman contenders throughout the game because our defense blows. F$U is a game that I can see our pass rush generating pressure for two reasons: one, it's F$U and anything can happen. two, at some point in the season it's gonna have to start clicking for our defense. In other words we could be in for a really really long night.

Play 4... ugh. It was a back-breaker and probably had a huge effect on what Coach D has felt comfortable with ever since.

This is great **** Lu - can't wait for the rest.

These clips are painful to watch, really highlight some areas where I'm not sure how we can significantly improve with our current circumstances.

Last edited:
Advertisement
The only thing giving me hope is that these games rarely play out the way they are expected to.

Cause make no mistake about it, on paper, I just don't see how FSU doesn't have their way against our defense.

Can you ever really protect the seems when you have a safety that doesn't know what he's doing?

Last edited:
I feel like Jimbo's offensive philosophy plays right up against our vulnerabilities on defense. This is why I'm not very optimistic about the game.

Advertisement
Usually I'm a fan of ground and pound, but this is just one of those games I feel we're going to need to spread em out to win. I'd also like to see some creativity with the running game. I don't want them to know that if Mike James is in the game, he's definitely not taking an outside handoff.

I think this is the game where we really see jacory's lack of arm strength hurt us a bit. particularly in the intermediate passing game.

As far as OUR D goes, forgetaboutit. We're going to have to score points.

I don't necessarily agree with you about the lack of Jacory's arm strength hurting us. While obviously it would be better to have a big armed NFL type, Jacory has been playing well because he's not trying to do too much. I have noticed that when he wants to he seems to be able to put sufficient zip on his passes this season.

If they're going to drop 7 and mix up their zone coverages, 12 is going to have his opportunities to hit these passes in open space. Walford will have to be active on Saturday. I would expect to see Hagens running some decoy routes in the passing game so we can create a little extra space out there.

If they show Cover 2 we have to be able to exploit the weak area in the center of the field. This is where I would really like to see Lamar get some opportunities to get downfield. There was a writeup on Smart Football about the Double Hitch / Smash concept and attacking the center of the field with a deep angle route by the running back. Oklahoma State was the example he used. I think with Lamar's sprinter speed, if he has shown the ability to catch the ball in practice, we should take a shot at this play. It would be something that would totally go against our tendencies and it could produce a big play.

On FSU O versus the UM D:

-Its been said, no horses to run an effective scheme to take away the intermediate passing game (8-12yds). I have a feeling they will dink and dunk their way up and down the field like Maryland did, except they should be able to cash them in when they're inside the redzone.

-If Miami can hold them in the first half and adjust to press coverage in the second half, I think we might be able to fluster their offense enough to get some stops and possibily make it a game.

-If its bail technique all day = blowout.

Advertisement
Usually I'm a fan of ground and pound, but this is just one of those games I feel we're going to need to spread em out to win. I'd also like to see some creativity with the running game. I don't want them to know that if Mike James is in the game, he's definitely not taking an outside handoff.

I think this is the game where we really see jacory's lack of arm strength hurt us a bit. particularly in the intermediate passing game.

I don't necessarily agree with you about the lack of Jacory's arm strength hurting us. While obviously it would be better to have a big armed NFL type, Jacory has been playing well because he's not trying to do too much. I have noticed that when he wants to he seems to be able to put sufficient zip on his passes this season.

If they're going to drop 7 and mix up their zone coverages, 12 is going to have his opportunities to hit these passes in open space. Walford will have to be active on Saturday. I would expect to see Hagens running some decoy routes in the passing game so we can create a little extra space out there.

If they show Cover 2 we have to be able to exploit the weak area in the center of the field. This is where I would really like to see Lamar get some opportunities to get downfield. There was a writeup on Smart Football about the Double Hitch / Smash concept and attacking the center of the field with a deep angle route by the running back. Oklahoma State was the example he used. I think with Lamar's sprinter speed, if he has shown the ability to catch the ball in practice, we should take a shot at this play. It would be something that would totally go against our tendencies and it could produce a big play.

Over the last two games, Jacory threw several balls that I thought were really bad decisions, but he counted on Streeter to bail him out and Streeter did so by either playing defender or actually coming down with the catch. I am afraid if he tries that against FSU things wont go as favorably.

Good, I'm glad I'm not the only one who felt this way. I was actually about to post a similar thread.

Least confident I think I've ever been going to Tally.

Over the last two games, Jacory threw several balls that I thought were really bad decisions, but he counted on Streeter to bail him out and Streeter did so by either playing defender or actually coming down with the catch. I am afraid if he tries that against FSU things wont go as favorably.

Well that's true, but we're going to have to attack FSU's defense differently because those routes won't be single covered against FSU.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I am worried FSU may not even need to dress their punter. I do not expect us to stop them at all. I think we need 2+ turnovers to have a chance.

I getwhy you say that we have to get walford the ball in space but theres no indication that hes going to see more than the ten plays a game hes averaged since dye's return. Shrug...counting on our TEs as a weapon this season is really only a step above counting on laron byrd as a receiving threat.

Nothing about our Defense gives me much confidence going up against FSU.... nothing....

However, I do think we can score ...

If we can hold them to 24.. i think we can win. 31-24 Canes

JC

Advertisement
Back