Miami vs Duke (Breakdown)

Great previews.

Thanks to Liberty City and all who help out here!

Two questions/concerns come to mind:

1) They threw the ball 34 times against North Carolina Central and 45 times against Northwestern — and both those games were lopsided victories in the bag well before the start of the fourth quarter. Cutcliffe is a coach who built his reputation as a "take what the defense gives you" guy going back to his time as OC at Tennessee. They watched our game against Toledo. I can't believe they won't check right away to see if we've cleaned up our pass defense as opposed to leaning on the ground game against by far the best defensive front they've seen so far this season.

2) They have 15 sacks in four games, including 12 against the three major conference teams they've played. I admit I am still iffy on our pass protection against a legitimate Division I-A defense, especially with a still-developing first-year starter behind center. We really don't need Malik Rosier getting knocked around Friday night and making ill-advised throws under pressure or on third-and-long.

Let them try and bring pressure. Rosier will make them pay with his legs. The UNC QB escaped for about a 50 yard TD run when Duke sold out on the blitz. Rosier should have no problem doing the same. Also we have enough speedy slot WRs who cant take a quick slant to the the house.

Advertisement
Will we see a repeat?
NCAAF_Duke_at_Miami_2016.gif

We play Duke this Friday & instead of spending all week on Toledo, we need to shift the focus on Coach K is The Devil University.

On Offense: vs UNC
- QB Daniel Jones was 18/34 for 202yds & 1TD with 11att 28yds rushing.
- RB's Brittain Brown 10att 90yds & Shaun Wilson 18att 56yds rushing
- WR's T.J Rahming 6rec 73yds, Johnathan Lloyd 4rec 49yds

Gained a total of 388yds off 79 plays rushing for 186yds on 45 carries.
They were 3/16 on 3rd down, 2/3 on 4th down, gave up 3 sacks & only had 2 penalties.

On Defense: vs UNC
- Gave up 377yds total 118yds rushing, 259yds passing & sacked UNC 4 times.
- Had the #1 ranked Rush Defense coming into the game.

On Offense: vs Baylor
- QB Daniel Jones was 20/35 193yds 0TD's 1INT with 11att -14yds rushing
- RB's Shaun Wilson 18att 176yds 2TD's & Brittain Brown 18att 86yds & 1TD
- WR's Shaun Wilson (RB) 5rec 32yds, BBrown (RB) 4rec 71yds, TJ Rahming 4rec 38yds, JLloyd 3rec 26yds

Gained a total of 439yds off 86 plays rushing for 246yds on 51 carries.
They were 4/18 on 3rd down, 2/2 on 4th down, had 2 fumbles, an INT, gave up 3 sacks & had 5 penalties.

On Defense: vs Baylor
- Gave up 320yds total 57yds rushing & 263yds passing & sacked Baylor 5 times.

Overall, the key to beating this team is stopping the run. Their QB is apart of their running game, he rushed for 16att 108yds & 2TD's vs Northwestern. But otherwise, they use him sparingly to keep Defenses off balance.

Gotta stop Senior RB Shaun Wilson & RFr Brittain Brown, that's the key. You make them one dimensional & you simplify the game for the Defense. Their OL has 3 Redshirt Seniors, so they're a veteran bunch, but there's sacks to be had. We all know our Secondary has struggled, but their best WR is TJ Rahming, they also have a big 6'3 WR Chambers who they barely use.

Our Safety's have to be disciplined, their passing game is entirely set up off making LB's/S's hesitate on play action out the gun. It's mainly a one read & go Offense, they're not running anything too advanced, they beat you off precise execution, not much complexity.

For us on Offense, they have a pretty good pass rush, their best players are DT Mike Ramsay & LB Joe Giles-Harris. They stop the run well, but haven't faced a duo of RB's like Walton & Homer, they also gave up some big runs to UNC's QB, so Rosier should exceed well in this spot.

Their DB's are slow imo based on those games. They were routinely beat on Deep routes, if UNC had a better QB they would've beat them. Seniors S Jeremy McDuffie, Alonzo Saxton & their CB's are their weak link. CB Gilbert is solid, the rest not so much. Our WR's should eat these fools up, especially Ahmmon, Cager & Berrios in the slot.

I think we matchup well vs them, hopefully the short week galvanizes this Defense to come out ready to play. This is a team you need to get an early lead on, they've controlled the ball in every game, they pound the rock & win the TOP battle.

I think we win 37-24, Rosier should open up the run game for Walton/Homer & hope Richt takes some deep shots early. If Richards is 100% he should ball, but it's time to unleash Harley & JT, their CB's cannot run with these guys.
I got the score wrong, thought we would give up more points, but great performance by the Defense tonight!

Advertisement
Back