Miami staff as recruiters from local coaches perspective

cooks002

Junior
BY MANNY NAVARRO
MNAVARRO@MIAMIHERALD.COM
Miami Norland coach Daryle Heidelburg, who won a state championship two years ago with current Hurricanes Duke Johnson and Ereck Flowers, endured a rough 3-7 season in 2013.

And yet, even though his roster wasn’t filled with major 2014 recruits, Heidelburg said he still heard from University of Miami coach Al Golden often — via email or text message. He also said he had a UM assistant coach at his school every opportunity NCAA rules allowed.

Same deal for Miami Columbus coach Chris Merritt, Cypress Bay coach Mark Guandolo and a number of other coaches in Miami-Dade and Broward Counties who didn’t have one of the 246 seniors UM offered a scholarship, according to 247Sports.com.

The coaches of the 30 local seniors who did have offers said UM coaches recruited those players as hard as anybody else in the country, with assistants Michael Barrow and Hurlie Brown taking the lead on most.

“I personally don’t see how they can do a better job recruiting South Florida than they already are,” said Merritt, who had U.S. All-American safety Deon Bush sign with UM two years ago. “You’re talking about the most recruited, talent-rich area in the country. There’s no way you’re going to get them all.”

Yet, come Wednesday, when fax machines get busy sending and receiving signed National Letters of Intent, the natural instinct for all UM fans will be to look at the recruiting rankings and begin taking account of the recruits Golden was able to keep home and those who got away.

This year’s local class is as rich as any in recent memory with 13 of the state’s top 30 consensus players — most of whom were All-Americans — calling Dade or Broward home. UM’s backyard yielded only six top-30 recruits in 2013 (Miami signed Stacy Coley and Artie Burns) and seven in 2012 (UM landed five: Johnson, Flowers, Bush, Tracy Howard and Jelani Hamilton).

This year, UM has five of the state’s top-30 recruits committed, including four locals: Miami Booker T. Washington defensive end Chad Thomas, Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas defensive lineman Anthony Moten and running back Joseph Yearby and offensive lineman Trevor Darling, both from Miami Central. The fifth, Palm Beach Central offensive tackle Kc McDermott, is already enrolled at UM along with Yearby and Darling.

Overall, Miami’s class is ranked eighth nationally by ESPN, Scout and Rivals and 11th by 247Sports.com. And 11 of UM’s 26 commitments hail from Miami-Dade or Broward.

“I think Miami has done a good job down there, but I wouldn’t say a great job,” said Chris Nee, who covers recruiting in Florida for 247Sports.com. “You see a guy like Johnnie Dixon [from Palm Beach Gardens Dwyer] who they really valued, [Champagnat defensive tackle] Travonte Valentine, [Homestead receiver] Ermon Lane, who early in the process they really valued. Missing on those guys, that doesn’t make you a better football team and it’s going to cause disappointment.

“But it’s not like they’re not putting in the effort. They were in it late for Dixon, Valentine and a few others. It’s just a matter of you have to close.”

Central running back Dalvin Cook (Florida State), Plantation American Heritage running back Sony Michel (Georgia), Hollywood Chaminade defensive tackle Khairi Clark (Florida) and undecided recruits Lane and Valentine (he’s still considering UM, but LSU is the favorite) were all players Miami was in on early. Assuming they all get away, they’ll join a list of recent UM big misses that includes linebacker Matthew Thomas (FSU), running back Alex Collins (Arkansas), receiver Amari Cooper (Alabama), linebacker Keith Brown (Louisville) and quarterback Teddy Bridgewater (Louisville).

Outspoken Hurricanes fan and rapper Luther Campbell, who was named defensive coordinator at Miami Norland last week, thinks UM coaches are doing a good job recruiting locally but said they need to “be a little more aggressive and take the approach as if they’re from out of town.” In the end, Campbell said players such as Lane and Cooper grew up wanting to be Canes and had to be convinced to go elsewhere.

Nee said UM is getting more aggressive in terms of early offers and already has 119 out for the 2015 class — 52 in state and 21 locally.

Booker T. Washington coach Ice Harris said not offering his son — star quarterback Treon Harris — a scholarship early is the only mistake UM made this season. Last year, Harris was upset when UM pulled its offer from offensive lineman Denver Kirkland (Arkansas) late in the process. But he said the fences have long been mended.

Champagnat’s Mike Tunsil and American Heritage’s Mike Rumph, a former Hurricane, were the only local coaches interviewed by the Miami Herald who thought UM could have done a better job evaluating and recruiting other players on their state championship teams. But when it came to recruiting the players UM did go after from those schools — Michel and Valentine — “Miami did its due diligence,” Tunsil said.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/02/01/3906980_miami-hurricanes-stay-aggressive.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
Advertisement
I think Golden's adapting (still making mistakes) but he's getting better. He can coordinate well with coaches at various high schools and he does wonders with the parents. The sad thing is, he's late at times, and unfortunately street agents at these 7-on-7 events have been thrown into the mix.

So you're saying our coaches aren't as lazy as most posters say they are? No...freaking...way.

I don't think anyone is saying our coaches are lazy.

The problem is that we're honest with kids and don't have much to sell besides "Help bring the U back". It's not like we're losing kids to Boise. We're losing them to huge institutions who have been more successful than we have in the last 10 years.

Really, it comes back to nothing mattering except results.

What profession can you say "oh, but I tried hard" and be let off the hook?

Nobody is claiming we should land everyone but

Cook
Michael
Lane
Rudolph
Dixon
Valentine
T Harris
Jackson

That's a LOT of talent to miss on. Even if we swung 2-3, you feel a little better.

I guess it's a positive that they realized local kids will take it as a slight when every program in the country offers them, yet the hometown team doesn't. At least they're finally understanding an early offer is important. Don't know what it took four years, but better late than never, I guess.

Advertisement
I think Golden is still getting a feel for recruiting in S. Fl. Each year he improves, but still misses on some big names.

I agree with Uncle Luke, more aggression is needed. Winning big games and consistency helps too.

Why didn't the article address a probable cause for the talent departing the city? We know Golden is recruiting hardest and the kids grew up UM fans. Hmmm so shouldn't some investigating reporting come out of this. Why is the top talent talent leaving or being begged to visit UM? Complete joke. Smh.

If Golden isn't a first-class recruiter, then he really doesn't have much to lean on. His gameday coaching and strategy has been questionable so far. His player development is so-so. So if he isn't pulling in top players then I ask this, what is his talent?

While this year's class is certainly an improvement, it is also full of holes at need areas and there is no NCAA cloud to blame. I'm thinking Butch would convince a lot of the Matthew Thomas' and Sony Michel's to stay home. Our ineptitude when it comes to recruiting over the last decade, paired with our below average coaches has helped build dynasties at UF and now FSU. I really hope Golden can convince some of these 2015 kids, who will no doubt commit early on, to honor their commitments and not get outdone by recruiting closers like Jimbo, Saban and such.

Advertisement
If Golden isn't a first-class recruiter, then he really doesn't have much to lean on. His gameday coaching and strategy has been questionable so far. His player development is so-so. So if he isn't pulling in top players then I ask this, what is his talent?

While this year's class is certainly an improvement, it is also full of holes at need areas and there is no NCAA cloud to blame. I'm thinking Butch would convince a lot of the Matthew Thomas' and Sony Michel's to stay home. Our ineptitude when it comes to recruiting over the last decade, paired with our below average coaches has helped build dynasties at UF and now FSU. I really hope Golden can convince some of these 2015 kids, who will no doubt commit early on, to honor their commitments and not get outdone by recruiting closers like Jimbo, Saban and such.

I actually think he's a good gameday coach.

The schemes need a little work though.

Don't get me wrong, he certainly isn't an idiot. But there have definitely been games where we were just flat-out outcoached. And how do you explain the blowouts? Gameday coaches don't get rolled this often on national television. Don't say talent, because Miami has enough talent to not get embarrassed.

Don't care about the local coaches, the reason we let up 90 points to Duke and VT has nothing to do with recruiting locally.

Advertisement
Manny is a fat ****, looking forward to his heart attack. Hopefully he has it while driving into Susan.

I actually think he's a good gameday coach.

The schemes need a little work though.

1.gif%3fw%3d630

Advertisement
Back