Miami Secondary 2017

Hard to complete passes with 2 seconds in the pocket. Our entire defense, and really season, is dependent on the front 7 being as dominant as we all believe. I think Diaz and Kool deliver. I like our length/speed on the outside and I like having Bandy for nickel. We can even slide JJ up in the box if Redwine comes through for nickel situations. The one thing we need to improve is ball skills; we dropped a few picks last year. Overall, I'm excited for this group

Advertisement
Anyone who thinks our secondary should stink is either a troll or a ghey guy. There's a lot of talent there, and they'll enjoy an incredible symbiotic relationship with the DL.

With the talent, year 2 in the scheme, and schedule...if this doesn't wind up a top 10 defense in essentially all the advanced metrics, it would be a very disappointing year. Even with the questions on offense. A few years ago, BC had the best defense in the country and the worst offense. Literally. An elite defense plays elite no matter what.
Get your point, but what you use to support your conclusion is questionable. BC may have had the worst offense, but it wasn't like it necessarily hampered their defense as one might think a crap offense (e.g. 3 and outs, etc.) would do.

BC executed a style of play that helped their defense's statistics. When you try to grind out every game (****, series), the number of plays and time of possession categories can really aide how your defense appears.

It's part of the reason the Golden crew seemingly tried to slow games down every now and then.
How much ball control did BC accomplish? They were absolutely atrocious offensively. I don't think it was an offense that held the ball and had long drives but just couldn't punch in scores. I'm just going off memory from watching them though.

I wonder how much more aggressive and risky Diaz might get this year with all the returning talent and especially the huge experience boost at LB. He did a helluva job last year, but we didn't get enough consistent pressure on the QB, and our sack numbers weren't quite as impressive as I thought they'd be.

I think we averaged something like 1 extra sack per game over Doritos final season. Might be off on that stat as it's from memory.

Hard to complete passes with 2 seconds in the pocket. Our entire defense, and really season, is dependent on the front 7 being as dominant as we all believe. I think Diaz and Kool deliver. I like our length/speed on the outside and I like having Bandy for nickel. We can even slide JJ up in the box if Redwine comes through for nickel situations. The one thing we need to improve is ball skills; we dropped a few picks last year. Overall, I'm excited for this group

Keep in mind ..that secondary was previously corched by a staph that didn't believe in interceptions....I see big changes with this unit moving forward.

Advertisement
With the talent, year 2 in the scheme, and schedule...if this doesn't wind up a top 10 defense in essentially all the advanced metrics, it would be a very disappointing year. Even with the questions on offense. A few years ago, BC had the best defense in the country and the worst offense. Literally. An elite defense plays elite no matter what.
Get your point, but what you use to support your conclusion is questionable. BC may have had the worst offense, but it wasn't like it necessarily hampered their defense as one might think a crap offense (e.g. 3 and outs, etc.) would do.

BC executed a style of play that helped their defense's statistics. When you try to grind out every game (****, series), the number of plays and time of possession categories can really aide how your defense appears.

It's part of the reason the Golden crew seemingly tried to slow games down every now and then.

Based on the last 30 years, I think it's safe to say that Miami won't be controlling the clock this year.
Wasn't my point. OrangeBowlMagic was saying we should be a Top 10 defense no matter what (which may or may not be true). He supported that statement by using the BC example, which may be skewed because of ball control and offense style of play.

In any case, not sure what you mean by last 30 years. Last year, we were 106th out of 129 teams in plays per game.

My comment was sort of an aside, not directly addressing the exchange between you two. Sorry if I'm derailing.

106th is exactly my point...for as long as I can remember (30 years or so), Miami has held the ball for significantly less than 30 min/game...ball control just isn't our thing. This is one of those weird things that is constant no matter who the players or coaches have been (kinda like having 100yds in penalties every **** game). Our success will be determined by quick scoring and a stout defense that's in better shape than the other guys. Same as it's always been. How that will affect our defensive ranking I can't say, but I wouldn't expect this offense to help the defense out by holding on to the ball for long stretches.

Safety depth is a bit of a concern to me, but overall this secondary should be above average to very good.

We really haven't seen Redwine or Carter at Safety yet. I think their development will be key. Also expect less of Ajay in the slot with Bandy/Young. Also I'm sure you'll see some 4-3 with a linebacker (McCloud) in the slot area.

I think this group has more potential than last year. My biggest concern really is if j.johnson can take the next step. I think redwine will excel @FS and i love our top 5 CBs. I think this group will be better against the pass but our DBs last year exelled against the run IMO. Hopefully therea not a huge dropoff in that area for this group

Advertisement
I think this group has more potential than last year. My biggest concern really is if j.johnson can take the next step. I think redwine will excel @FS and i love our top 5 CBs. I think this group will be better against the pass but our DBs last year exelled against the run IMO. Hopefully therea not a huge dropoff in that area for this group

If Jaquan Johnson is your biggest concern you are crazy man. Dude is one of our best players.

Im buying the hype but IMO hes only been a glorified backup. Im rooting for him but i think redwine has a higher ceiling

Based on the last 30 years, I think it's safe to say that Miami won't be controlling the clock this year.
Wasn't my point. OrangeBowlMagic was saying we should be a Top 10 defense no matter what (which may or may not be true). He supported that statement by using the BC example, which may be skewed because of ball control and offense style of play.

In any case, not sure what you mean by last 30 years. Last year, we were 106th out of 129 teams in plays per game.

My comment was sort of an aside, not directly addressing the exchange between you two. Sorry if I'm derailing.

106th is exactly my point...for as long as I can remember (30 years or so), Miami has held the ball for significantly less than 30 min/game...ball control just isn't our thing. This is one of those weird things that is constant no matter who the players or coaches have been (kinda like having 100yds in penalties every **** game). Our success will be determined by quick scoring and a stout defense that's in better shape than the other guys. Same as it's always been. How that will affect our defensive ranking I can't say, but I wouldn't expect this offense to help the defense out by holding on to the ball for long stretches.

Agree with you overall point on defense. As far as TOP, I'm pretty sure both Coker (as OC) and Chud teams controlled the clock. They actually used to drive me crazy running the ball 75% of the snaps whenever we got ahead by more than 9 points. ... I would argue it wasn't just conditioning under late Coker/Shannon/Golden teams. They just didn't have the depth of talent, or in some cases even warm bodies, to substitute in and rest their 1s. This year, we have a loaded 2 deep everywhere except safety, and a 3-deep along the DL.

Advertisement
Interested to see who lines up where. Some people have theorized Delaney and Dean will line up outside opposite each other with Young in the slot. They're both big, he's small, and you assume that they're going to play immediately given their limited available time. Young played outside last year, but that was due to need more than anything. Jaquan played in the slot, but that was with experienced starters at safety.

Delaney is legit, and if Dean balls too, then it could make sense for Young to slide inside. If Redwine takes off at Safety and Carter is the second coming as a freshman, that might make Jaquan a better move at nickle and complicates things. I figure it's more likely that the corners are stacked, rather than safety, but until we see them play it's still fun to wonder.

Young looked like a game breaker so far

that's what I'm interested in, let's be real since the end of last season he has been an absolute game breaker in practice

if he has it in him to field that same play on game day come fall, lord have mercy

Advertisement

I think that is LUs point as well, or one of them.

I'm a little more cautious about our Secondary. We have plenty of talent, that's not an issue, but off season reports are hard me to trust. They're always positive, with everyone improving and looking great.

Losing 4 Senior starters from our secondary, 3 being NFL draft picks, and thinking there will be no dropoff is a little risky.

Playing behind a dominant front 7 should mean the secondary will be fine. I'm not worried, but wouldn't be surprised if the secondary isn't quite as good as last year. We'll be relying heavily on players, while talented, haven't played at this level yet - Dean, Delany, Carter, Bandy, etc.

This should be the most interesting competition to see once camp starts since so many secondary positions are open.

Advertisement
Back