Miami recruiting v ACC Coastal 2007-2013

Thatcoaching

That's coaching and development. Players stagnate and get frustrated and leave. Zach McCloud is a prime ewxample of what I'm talking about. 5 years in the same scheme, worse than when he came in. Amari Carter, making the same dumb tackles, another SR. And for the others who never played, bad evaluations.
It doesn’t help that we’ve had three different offensive staffs is three years. Most of the players who have transferred were offensive players. McCloud can officially be considered a bust. Carter is the exact guy they recruited. A three star safety who was known as a big hitter but was limited athletically. There are plenty of guys who have improved. Pretty much everyone in the secondary besides Carter is better than they were last year. Nesta Silvera looks like a totally different player. Greg Rousseau was a three star project who became a first round talent. Jarred Harrison-Hunte was another 3 star nobody who has become one of the team’s best linemen. I mean there are guys out there improving.

Advertisement
I’m way more ****ed about recruiting misses on the defensive side than I am about the actual coaching. They have swung and missed at way too many top corners and there was a two year gap where they didn’t bother signing linebackers. Besides Banda, the defense doesn’t have anybody who can recruit and that’s a major issue.

It doesn’t help that we’ve had three different offensive staffs is three years. Most of the players who have transferred were offensive players. McCloud can officially be considered a bust. Carter is the exact guy they recruited. A three star safety who was known as a big hitter but was limited athletically. There are plenty of guys who have improved. Pretty much everyone in the secondary besides Carter is better than they were last year. Nesta Silvera looks like a totally different player. Greg Rousseau was a three star project who became a first round talent. Jarred Harrison-Hunte was another 3 star nobody who has become one of the team’s best linemen. I mean there are guys out there

I’m way more ****ed about recruiting misses on the defensive side than I am about the actual coaching. They have swung and missed at way too many top corners and there was a two year gap where they didn’t bother signing linebackers. Besides Banda, the defense doesn’t have anybody who can recruit and that’s a major issue.
Recruiting problems comes from coaching problems. We have had NFL players all throughout this barren period. We cant coach a cohesive team. We don't fix problems from week to week. Its the same issues over and over. Coach up the players u got, dominate the coastal. Dominate the mediocre OOC schedule and you are right at 9 or 10 wins easily every season. Then u get more top tier players to challenge teams above us now on the talent scale. That's the sequence.

Recruiting problems comes from coaching problems. We have had NFL players all throughout this barren period. We cant coach a cohesive team. We don't fix problems from week to week. Its the same issues over and over. Coach up the players u got, dominate the coastal. Dominate the mediocre OOC schedule and you are right at 9 or 10 wins easily every season. Then u get more top tier players to challenge teams above us now on the talent scale. That's the sequence.
Absolutely. They’ve been winning 7 games with 9 win talent for years. I’m not one of those people who believes they’re a few changes away from competing with Clemson but they are certainly capable of being a 9-10 win team every year. If they could string together a couple seasons like that in a row, they’d be able to secure better recruits and then they can play with the big boys

If you go back through the classes and re rank them after removing guys who transferred/never enrolled/career ending injury, you’ll see exactly why they haven’t played up to the recruiting rankings.

2016: Sam Bruce, Ahmon Richards, Jack Allison, Dionte Mullens, Jovani Haskins, Malek Young.

2017: DJ Johnson, Brian Polendy, Evidence Njoku, Cade Weldon, Derek Smith, Zach Feagles This class is particularly bad because a lot of the guys who did stay were busts or head cases (Jeff Thomas, N’Kosi Perry and Kai-Leon Herbert were all 4 star guys)

2018: Lorenzo Lingard, Jarren Williams, Brian Hightower and Marquez Ezzard were all 4/5 star players. Realus George and Bubba Baxa were also part of this class. There’s been pretty good production from this class. Most of the best players on the team were from this group.

2019: Only Christian Williams is gone but he was their second highest rated recruit.

2020: True freshmen currently. The highest rated recruit has missed the entire season so far.

Couple all these guys who transferred with guys who were solid contributors who stupidly declared for the draft early and you end up with a team like we have today. Some really good talent at certain positions, huge holes at others. We’re constantly having to fill gaps with transfers and freshmen and good teams don’t have to rely on that
Kudo's for this research ...

Advertisement
Here's how I think about it

Alabama, Georgia, Clemson, etc. - Their recruiting classes average out in the Top 5. Miami averages around 15. UNC/VT averages around 25.

The difference between a Top 5 ranked team and the #15 ranked team is pretty wide. The difference between the #15 and #25, #30 , #40 best teams can be very small.

Miami has had a bunch of mid to late round NFL picks. The difference between a 1st & 4th round pick is 3 rounds. The difference between a 4th & 7th is 3 rounds. On paper it's the same. In reality the gap between a 1st and 4th is huge, and a 4th & 7th is very small.

Should Miami be better? Of course. But the talent gap isn't as big as we act like it is.

It’s been said already but it doesn’t matter how talented a freshman is. A senior that is in another system for 4 or 5 years is likely stronger and definitely more experienced than just about any 4* and some 5*. We need to recruit kids to be here for 4 years at a minimum (and most for 5 years). We are going against grown *** men with freshmen boys at times (And it’s especially important in the trenches).
Look at Bolden as an example. He is killing it, he’s talented and due to his issues at USCw before transferring here, he is older, more mature, stronger and faster than he would be coming in as a freshman. If he stays and comes back next year, he will be a man amongst boys (not to say that he isn’t already). That’s how the talent gap is closed and renders this comparison moot.

Coaching bruh...that guy from Pitt talked so much crap, yet when manny had a chance to run up the score he went to one knee or run the ball, should have run his offense get all the players in with the hopes of scoring on each position!!! He would have done what dabo did to us, Lawrence was in the game until the last possession of the game for them and even then they tried to score with 6 seconds lift in the game. I want ole skool Miami type of coaches!!! That’s why they wrote their tickets yet the ones leaving us now with this ****** thinking never get promoted up, smh!!!!

Advertisement
It really isn't. What's mind boggling is how Blake James got a job he was never qualified for, and furthermore how in the name of all ***** he's been allowed to keep it this long.

All of the other things mentioned in this thread (coaching, development, recruiting, etc) are all SYMPTOMS of a greater disease. The disease is a BOT that doesn't give a flying F about football evidenced by an incompetent appointed custodian, masquerading as an "Athletic Director", and I use that term loosely.
I'm tired of hearing this tell me what you think and athletic director does and then I'll tell you whether Blake James is qualified or not. AN AD supports his coaches and raises money hes really good at that. Did he ***** up the Manny hiring process? YES but it's a very small part of his duties

We're only #17 in talent composite. Our talent really isn't as great as some people on CIS claim it is.

On talent alone, we should be the top of the Coastal and top 20 every year. We're not even meeting that bar.

On talent alone, we should be the top of the Coastal and top 20 every year. We're not even meeting that bar.

I agree that we’re underachieving with the talent we have.

My point is that people on here seem to be convinced that we really have one of the best 10 rosters in the country. The rankings don’t show that at all.

Advertisement
Back