Miami Politicians and Ross might ***** up a UM/MLS stadium

Cause there was soooooooo much designated tailgate space at The OB? Some of y'all are either really young or have short memories. The best tailgates "back in the day" weren't in designated parking lots. Believe me, that area is full of capitalists. There will be space made available by the residents for tailgating.

Advertisement
It will be really embarrassing if this goes through and we can't even fill 40k seats. That is exactly what will happen if we don't start winning games. If UM can't replace a bad coach because of a buyout, wtf makes anyone think they have the junk to do this.

It will be really embarrassing if this goes through and we can't even fill 40k seats. That is exactly what will happen if we don't start winning games. If UM can't replace a bad coach because of a buyout, wtf makes anyone think they have the junk to do this.

In fairness, money spend on a buyout is much different than money spend on a tangible piece of property.

In fairness, money spend on a buyout is much different than money spend on a tangible piece of property.

Fair. But as we've seen with other Miami stadiums, the new stadium impact is short lived. If the team sucks, no one will go. Biggest, near term bang for the buck comes from a buyout. If we were winning, we would see a lot more stadium momentum.

Fair. But as we've seen with other Miami stadiums, the new stadium impact is short lived. If the team sucks, no one will go. Biggest, near term bang for the buck comes from a buyout. If we were winning, we would see a lot more stadium momentum.

Or the exact opposite could happen where they start winning, SLS fills up and the BOT decides that the stadium is suiting their needs just fine regardless of how ****** the game day experience is.

Advertisement
Unless they build a replica of the Orange Bowl giving us another 7,500 to add for bigger games, then NO!!!

This is David Beckham's stadium, I'm sure he is going to make sure it best fits his soccer team first and foremost. So an exact replica, I doubt it. But the ability to add on seats could be a possibility.

I hope this gets done, but the city of Miami has proved time and time again to be so **** complicated for anything, even small projects. Now, it just seems like too many things have to go right for this to happen and I'm sure something will go wrong somewhere and **** this whole situation up and ruin all of this.

Unless they build a replica of the Orange Bowl giving us another 7,500 to add for bigger games, then NO!!!

This is David Beckham's stadium, I'm sure he is going to make sure it best fits his soccer team first and foremost. So an exact replica, I doubt it. But the ability to add on seats could be a possibility.

I hope this gets done, but the city of Miami has proved time and time again to be so **** complicated for anything, even small projects. Now, it just seems like too many things have to go right for this to happen and I'm sure something will go wrong somewhere and **** this whole situation up and ruin all of this.

Miami isn't discussing a lease with Beckham, it's discussing a partnership. If they put $ into the venue they will have a say on the stadium design.

So donna went from ******* athletics for academics to trying to **** academics for athletics for her own personal gain because you'd have to be mentally incapacitated to see where her agendas were/are

Well slice my **** and call me caitlyn..never saw this coming!!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but what's the attraction for Beckham or us with that site? Would the old view of downtown not be obstructed by Marlins Park or whatever it's called? What's the surrounding area like now? Has it become a hotspot or not?

Somewhere with a view, that seems like a better idea, but the waterfront idea failed and there's limited space available. Either way, I highly doubt this ever gets done and anything south of 50 or 55k seems a dumbass move to me. That size stadium wouldn't be good for Beckham, so on that alone it should all fail.

As for the Miami politicians and their supposed backdoor dealings regarding the Marlins facility, would someone elaborate on that? We didn't own the OB, the city did, so I don't see where we had any say in the matter. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Advertisement
Article states it wouldnt be AS MUCH space to tailgate, and people here read no space, no more tailgating. smh

Article states it wouldnt be AS MUCH space to tailgate, and people here read no space, no more tailgating. smh

Are you saying that posters here read something and created a way to complain about it that was not 100% accurate?

I do not believe you, good sir.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but what's the attraction for Beckham or us with that site? Would the old view of downtown not be obstructed by Marlins Park or whatever it's called? What's the surrounding area like now? Has it become a hotspot or not?

Somewhere with a view, that seems like a better idea, but the waterfront idea failed and there's limited space available. Either way, I highly doubt this ever gets done and anything south of 50 or 55k seems a dumbass move to me. That size stadium wouldn't be good for Beckham, so on that alone it should all fail.

As for the Miami politicians and their supposed backdoor dealings regarding the Marlins facility, would someone elaborate on that? We didn't own the OB, the city did, so I don't see where we had any say in the matter. Correct me if I'm wrong.

We didnt but shalala never put up a fight to keep she supported the move to no life

Advertisement
Lol at signing a 25 year lease at SLS. For the amount the school is probably gonna have to pay for the stadium buy out along with the construction cost of the mls stadium, UM could have went it alone and built a 40k stadium of their own years ago.

Lol at giving a 4 or 5 year extension for a corch that just went 6-6. Could have given him a two year extension for his NCAA troubles and it would have been a much more viable contract to terminate if the school insisted that was the way to go. Or simply give him a pay bump without increasing his contractual years.

Worst admin in the universe

Last edited:
Lol at signing a 25 year lease at SLS. For the amount the school is probably gonna have to pay for the stadium buy out along with the construction cost of the mls stadium, UM could have went it alone and built a 40k stadium of their own years ago.

Lol at giving a 4 or 5 year extension for a corch that just went 6-6. Could have given him a two year extension for his NCAA troubles and it would have been a much more viable contract to terminate if the school insisted that was the way to go. Or simply give him a pay bump without increasing his contractual years.

It is rich that the only things this program has "gone big" on in the last decade plus are extensions for junk coaches and lease agreements. Just waiting for the Donna apologists to claim that the little master negotiator talked Ross down from demanding 50 years. There was absolutely no logical reason to agree to anything more than a decade to 15 yrs max. There's a built-in safeguard in the form of community and political backlash that would have prevented Ross from raping us if we needed to renew the agreement. The troll got luxury boxes and some addl revenues dangled in front of her beady eyes and she obviously agreed to anything- which makes her comments now deriding SLS really worthy of a punch to her throat.

The author of that is lazy - all he had to do was ask someone about the athletics component of Momentum 2 fundraising. From a press release in October 2014:

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – The University of Miami Athletics Department announced today that the Hurricane Club has officially surpassed $100 million dollars in philanthropic giving as part of the institution-wide Momentum2 (M2) Campaign.

“Hurricane Club members have made a major statement in their support of Miami Athletics,” said Director of Athletics, Blake James.

Since starting the M2 campaign in 2008, Miami has already eclipsed its previous fundraising total from the first Momentum campaign in just under six years. The original Momentum campaign spanned from 2000-2007 in which athletics raised $83 million.

“Surpassing $100 million dollars in fundraising in such a short period of time is an indication of the unwavering commitment of our donor's to the student athlete experience." James said. “The continued generous support of our donors is critical to the success of our student-athletes athletically, academically and in life."

Launched in 2008, the M2 Campaign has an overall goal of raising $1.6 billion in philanthropic support University-wide. The athletics department’s M2 goal of $125 million is the second highest total of any unit on campus, behind only the University medical school.

During the M2 campaign, Miami has received five gifts of $1 million-or-more and 79 gifts of $100,000-or-more.

These gifts have played a major part in the enhancement of the department’s athletic facilities including the 34,000 square-foot Theodore G. Schwartz & Todd G. Schwartz Center for Athletic Excellence which opened its doors on Oct. 4, 2013, a center-hung state-of-the art video board in the BankUnited Center, installation of a field turf practice surface for football, and a student-athlete dining hall for all 400+ student-athletes.

Since 2010, through the success of the Building Champions Campaign, Hurricane Club annual membership has seen an 80 percent increase, going from 4,400 members to just under 8,000 members.

Different parts of the university had different goals - all of them together made up the $1.6 billion goal of the campaign overall. Mentioning the total amount raised in relation to anything to do with athletics is pointless. I would be interested to see an update of the fundraising amounts for athletics since October. The campaign as whole surpassed the goal of $1.6 B in May.

Advertisement

It is rich that the only things this program has "gone big" on in the last decade plus are extensions for junk coaches and lease agreements. Just waiting for the Donna apologists to claim that the little master negotiator talked Ross down from demanding 50 years. There was absolutely no logical reason to agree to anything more than a decade to 15 yrs max. There's a built-in safeguard in the form of community and political backlash that would have prevented Ross from raping us if we needed to renew the agreement. The troll got luxury boxes and some addl revenues dangled in front of her beady eyes and she obviously agreed to anything- which makes her comments now deriding SLS really worthy of a punch to her throat.
I don't know the exact specifics but I would not be surprised in the least bit, if she took that 25 year lease in return of a little more revenue. There's never any foresight to her decisions when it comes to athletics, she probably saw money and took it and ran, never once contemplating the fact that we may some day have to get out of that stadium.

She was an absolute disaster for UM athletics. Left the whole athletic department in complete shambles.

Advertisement
Back