Miami Politicians and Ross might ***** up a UM/MLS stadium

pimpcane1

Junior
As Jose Fernandez comeback looms, history offers mixed news on Tommy John surgery; Dion Jordan; Heat & Winslow nuggets; UM/MLS | Sports Buzz

### Though some at UM are cautiously hopeful a joint MLS/Hurricanes football stadium at Marlins Park can get done, another high-ranking UM official said he’s skeptical of this happening because of political landmines; the city of Miami and Miami-Dade County both own some land on the site, as do several private property owners, according to local political officials.

David Beckham’s group would like UM to contribute toward stadium construction for that proposed 40,000 seat-stadium at Marlins Park and UM hasn’t ruled that out.

But even though Donna Shalala and UM raised $3 billion in donations before she left Miami at the end of May, a high-level Trustee cautioned that many donors gave that money believing it would be used toward academics. Therein lies the rub in the Board of Trustees and new president re-allocating any of it.

Barring a change of heart, we hear Stephen Ross isn’t inclined to let UM out of its Sun Life Stadium lease without a buyout payment. Dolphins Stadium officials were taken aback and not pleased when Shalala openly pined for a new stadium in an interview with The Associated Press before her departure.

The initial Beckham stadium proposal for that Marlins Park site would permanently require closing 16th Street. The group’s vision is to use the Marlins Park garages for parking for UM football and MLS games. But there wouldn’t be nearly as much tailgating space as Sun Life Stadium offers.

Advertisement
Canes fans love to tailgate more than go into the game bro.... Can't take that away from them

Pure logic....beyond all of the political landmines, Ross is spending a lot of money upgrading the stadium, no way he lets us out without a buyout.

Then there is UM politics. We dont have money to pay for a Saban type coach, but we come up with money to buyout Ross AND contribute to a new stadium?

Didn't UM claim to make a massive investment in the renovations at Joe Robbie Stadium? Why would UM spend all that money at JRS and then leave?

Advertisement
Look, it was a ploy by Donna to get her name out if, by some magical means and some $20 million being discovered, the stadium was built and UM played there...She gets to take credit as being "The Visionary."

Now that she is gone and Frenk is still not there, LeBlanc and the BOT are not going to do anything. As for Donna, her new job at the Clinton Global Crime Family Syndicate will require different purchases:

https://www.nsa.gov/ia/mitigation_guidance/media_destruction_guidance/

I hope I'm wrong but I have a hard time seeing an MLS team build a 40k seat stadium and UM moving into such a small stadium. The buyout and politics just further complicates matters

Advertisement
They won't reallocate money that was intended for academics, research, etc. Should they do that, good luck in the immediate future trying to raise more.

The troll, she's a dumb ***** on so many levels.

Does anyone know what these political landmines are? I swear Miami politicians might be the worst in the entire country. The only reason that UM is in lease mess with Ross (although Donna should have never agreed to such a long lease) in the first place is because of them.

First they ***** UM out of the OB by making backhanded deals with the Marlins and now they are about to ***** over UM again.

Didn't UM claim to make a massive investment in the renovations at Joe Robbie Stadium? Why would UM spend all that money at JRS and then leave?

It's almost like UM tried to take credit for hundreds of millions of dollars in improvements to SLS, despite not actually spending a cent.

Where would you tailgate at new stadium? There isn't 20000 parking spots if you don't include the parking garages.

Advertisement
Has there ever been a university with a worse relationship with the surrounding community? I'm referring to both Coral Gables AND Miami. These people literally don't give a final **** about the school. They want it to disappear.

man Miami is a gangster city from the mayor on down im starting to realize we will never get our own stadium unless we do some back room deals, we need to start recruiting kids out of Columbia or mexico i wounder if el chapo got a some that could kick field goals?

Last edited:
That MLS stadium will never happen, and if it did it would be arguably just as bad as current situation.

Consider:

1) No tailgating experience which is a big part of college football.
2) School would be on hook to pay Ross a bunch of money.
3) As part of agreement with Ross, and also because of small MLS stadium, UM would have
to play 1-2 games at JoeRobbie every year.
4) Ross would fill the other 3-4 home vacancies with other programs playing each other. So
don't be surprised to see Michigan down here often, playing fsu or fu.

You get the picture.

Advertisement
Where would you tailgate at new stadium? There isn't 20000 parking spots if you don't include the parking garages.

I read somewhere that the tailgating area would be between the two stadiums and the retractable roof of marlins park could be used as shade for the tailgaters.

The thought of being on OB land is dreamy. BUT since Donna seems to be for it, I am against it. We can't trust her at all.

Unless they build a replica of the Orange Bowl giving us another 7,500 to add for bigger games, then NO!!!

Advertisement
Back