Miami Offers worth more?

I love seeing this...

I actually think we should get even stingier with the offers & a lot more stringent with early commits as well.

We need to start calling some of these kids on their bluff, when they commit early in the Spring or Summer, if they plan on decommitting later on then don't even accept the early commit in the 1st place.

All this "my recruitment is still open" **** immediately after you give a verbal is getting disrespectful to our program, maybe I'm not paying attention but I don't really see kids do that to other schools. (And even if they do, we shouldn't keep allowing it.)

A handful, usually "national" recruits, but very seldom are they from the local base. Texas is a prime example (also a school with low offers). I remember in the Mack Brown days, those kids were committed by the end of their junior years. The class was full very early and the commits were completely unreachable.

Texas is not even like a different country compared to south Florida, it's like a whole other planet.

Advertisement
I love seeing this...

I actually think we should get even stingier with the offers & a lot more stringent with early commits as well.

We need to start calling some of these kids on their bluff, when they commit early in the Spring or Summer, if they plan on decommitting later on then don't even accept the early commit in the 1st place.

All this "my recruitment is still open" **** immediately after you give a verbal is getting disrespectful to our program, maybe I'm not paying attention but I don't really see kids do that to other schools. (And even if they do, we shouldn't keep allowing it.)

A handful, usually "national" recruits, but very seldom are they from the local base. Texas is a prime example (also a school with low offers). I remember in the Mack Brown days, those kids were committed by the end of their junior years. The class was full very early and the commits were completely unreachable.

Texas is not even like a different country compared to south Florida, it's like a whole other planet.

Let me first say, I get the point you're trying to make. I don't agree with it entirely.

The word, "commit" means the same thing in Texas as it does in South Florida. It can be an undiscovered universe hidden in a black hole, it still doesn't justify us having a Duke Johnson every 3 or 4 years and them having 15 to 20 every single class. Heck swap Texas for pretty much any SEC or Big 10 school if you want to-- LSU, OSU*, Ole Miss, etc. A lot of their top kids come from just as rough a neighborhoods, facing the same challenges, but the word commit means commit. It's one of the biggest challenges facing CMR.

Per 247 Folden handed out 317 offers for the then fairly underwhelming 2015 class. Richt is at 178 for 2018 which is more in line with Folden's previous years

As long as million dollar coaches can keep looking for upgrades so should the kids. If we're trying to flip theirs, then they're going to try to flip ours. None of this stuff matters until they sign LOIs anyway; and even after they sign it's possible we still never see them.

I love seeing this...

Let me first say, I get the point you're trying to make. I don't agree with it entirely.

The word, "commit" means the same thing in Texas as it does in South Florida. It can be an undiscovered universe hidden in a black hole, it still doesn't justify us having a Duke Johnson every 3 or 4 years and them having 15 to 20 every single class. Heck swap Texas for pretty much any SEC or Big 10 school if you want to-- LSU, OSU*, Ole Miss, etc. A lot of their top kids come from just as rough a neighborhoods, facing the same challenges, but the word commit means commit. It's one of the biggest challenges facing CMR.

Because their Texas.. and We're Miami.. Texas is the only School in Texas with real history in football at least in the modern era of football. The same logic applies to Southern Cal because most kids in Cali or Texas dream of being USC Trojans or Texas Longhorn and will do everything they can to be one. Those Texas/Cali kids don't dream playing football for UCLA or Texas Tech or Baylor or San Diego State or TCU or even Texas A&M. Unlike Miami those schools are the undisputed #1 D-1 school for their state for football no matter how bad they are at times. Can't say the same for Miami because you have UF and FSU who are on the same wave length in term of respectably because all 3 have proven in the modern era they are capable of dominance, winning championships, and flinging kids into the pros as 1st rounder at the very least. If Miami was the only respectably D-1 school in Florida then there would be more Duke Johnson type 4-5 stars fighting to get into Miami and we'd get first dibs on all the talent instead of having to be a national championship contender first.

Advertisement
I love seeing this...

Because their Texas.. and We're Miami.. Texas is the only School in Texas with real history in football at least in the modern era of football. The same logic applies to Southern Cal because most kids in Cali or Texas dream of being USC Trojans or Texas Longhorn and will do everything they can to be one. Those Texas/Cali kids don't dream playing football for UCLA or Texas Tech or Baylor or San Diego State or TCU or even Texas A&M. Unlike Miami those schools are the undisputed #1 D-1 school for their state for football no matter how bad they are at times. Can't say the same for Miami because you have UF and FSU who are on the same wave length in term of respectably because all 3 have proven in the modern era they are capable of dominance, winning championships, and flinging kids into the pros as 1st rounder at the very least. If Miami was the only respectably D-1 school in Florida then there would be more Duke Johnson type 4-5 stars fighting to get into Miami and we'd get first dibs on all the talent instead of having to be a national championship contender first.

You guys make good points, you do. But Texas is just different. It's not at all like Cali or So Fla. it's just not. It's a complete different culture. But yes, it's also a **** big state, with a lot of football talent, and only one "king of the jungle". It's not about what the word "commit" means to an individual, it's about "that's just how it's done here." Not sure how better to explain it. Not saying it's necessarily a good thing, or bad, it's just different. Comparing UT to Miami is like comparing an apple to a lug nut. It's meaningless, and pointless.

We'll get ours, they'll get theirs, and ours will be the best there is when we've got competent leadership. And yes, that includes allowing for some good players who "just want to go away for college". We don't need to get every kid, we just need to get most of the best ones around here and a few from elsewhere.

I love seeing this...

I hope that in short order we get to that point. You either want to attend Miami and therefore are allowed to accept...........

I love seeing this...

I hope that in short order we get to that point. You either want to attend Miami and therefore are allowed to accept...........

FWIW, I do think CMR is on the right path. He definitely is ingratiating himself to the youth football leagues as a trusted father figure type. Golden couldn't do that if he tried. Shannon could have, but couldn't, wouldn't and didn't for a variety of reasons. Luckily CMR has the credibility and competence to do it. Now he has to show his vision translates into wins and NFL dollars. Once he does that, I do think it will be harder for these handlers and adviser types to negative recruit and influence these kids into visiting and flirting with other staffs once they're committed to UM. Right now, they don't fear losing a UM offer because they don't value it equally, in a lot of cases.

The biggest difference I see between UM and a lot of other schools is this "entourage factor" of advisers and handlers. These guys have a power in South FL that doesn't exist elsewhere. The reason is because it works. When we are a successful playoff contender year-in and year-out, these UM offers will be viewed as being worth a lot more than others. At that point, a few casualties will teach these kids that fact, and that "committed" means committed. There will be other players waiting for someone to *****-up so they can get their spot. That is the exact thing that happens at Alabaga, etc. No reason it can't work here again.

this is really a meaningless stat.

1: who knows how many actual offers are out? until the offers are faxed to players, nothing is legit

2: it's not the percentage that matters but rather the total amount of players good players you actually get to sign.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back