JUCO 2024 Miami Offers 6'5 JUCO WR Leland Smith

Advertisement
Been wondering, when does Miami have to get down to 85?

We have to be at 85 at the beginning of fall and spring semesters.

But it's easy to make 85 in January when you have (a) December graduations, and (b) a few freshmen who don't report until summer/fall.

Last edited:
No.

ALL schollys are one year, renewal at option of the team.

If a kid doesn't play or is moved on because he can't cut it on the field, or gets a career ending injury, then he gets moved to "non-playing" status. In that instance, he doesn't count against the limit but can still stay on scholarship and get his degree. That's where the confusion is over the "1 yr. vs. 4 yr." issue.

There is no right to be on the team for 4 years
False

Advertisement
Why did we choose to keep dead weight on the roster with spots being so tight?

DId we?

We are OK on numbers RIGHT NOW (since some signees won't enroll until summer/fall), and have 13 days to enroll any new Portal guys. After that, we could cut 20 guys by the end of spring practice, if needed. No big deal.

I'm sure we are letting some guys graduate in May who will not impact our numbers in either January or August.

For guys like Denis, Kirk, Sago who transferred in, can Mario even kick them out if he wanted to? Unless they graduate to grad transfer they would have to sit a year to transfer which really screws them. Not sure Mario wants to put kids in that position and create that reputation. Someone more knowledgable please clarify, thanks

Roberts didn't even last a semester here.

Advertisement
This is incorrect. Power 5 voted years ago to make them 4 years.
You learn something new everyday. Somehow I missed that. Thanks!

Well it's a good thing Kirk is a known tax evader & the other two participate in insider trading. Call the FBI.

Advertisement
Scholarships are year-to-year. We absolutely can.

The blow back not be worth it though.. since Miami has to play at different rules than other programs.
And that's why I said what I said. There are politics at play. But I think we'll have the chance to add 4-8 portal guys at least when all is said and done.

Advertisement
No.

ALL schollys are one year, renewal at option of the team.

If a kid doesn't play or is moved on because he can't cut it on the field, or gets a career ending injury, then he gets moved to "non-playing" status. In that instance, he doesn't count against the limit but can still stay on scholarship and get his degree. That's where the confusion is over the "1 yr. vs. 4 yr." issue.

There is no right to be on the team for 4 years
That was my thought as well - thanks!

Advertisement
Back