2023 Miami offers 2023 five-star QB Nicholaus Iamaleava Jr. (Downey, CA)

MF listed him at 200 lbs Lmaoooo dude lucky to be 185 right now lol
IDK man, he is TALL and does not look super lanky in recent pics.

Remember when people were talking about how thin Bolden looked?

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/675/678/9678675.jpg

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/634/502/9502634.jpg

I think it was @brock saying he was so tall he just looked thin and his weight was fine.

Bubba just checked in at 209 at the combine. If he is truly 6'6 you don't think adding 4 inches onto Bubbas frame and subtracting 10lbs would have him look like he does?

Advertisement
There has to be plenty of stipulations and and empty promises.
Let’s say the vols get him and he does or doesn’t pan out or gets injured.
Let’s say he starts day one and they win 6 games. He looks good but not great. I would assume they want another stud qb and he’s gonna say: so how many millions am I getting?

Now your gonna have 16 million on the hook and maybe a small bowl win.
And what if the new guy is actually better than he is.
Then you have a 16 million dollar qb controversy in a **** college team.

I think some people missed the details from the Athletic article. The contract offered $325k - that's the guranteed, after that it could get UP TO $2M/year. The collective would also then own the rights to market the kid across the universe. The collective could also recoup from future NFL earnings. $8M sounds like a big number but if the kid was a bust or transfered they wouldn't be on the hook for the total amount and they would still own his NIL. These deals are crazy, not because of the dollar amounts but because of all of the potential for shady stuff from the collectives. These reported deals are making the music industry look clean.

If someone could have purchased Patrick Mahomes name, image and likeness when he was 18 for $325k guaranteed against $2M ceiling, don't you think that would be a bad deal for Mahomes?

Anyway, I hope we sign this kid.

I think some people missed the details from the Athletic article. The contract offered $325k - that's the guranteed, after that it could get UP TO $2M/year. The collective would also then own the rights to market the kid across the universe. The collective could also recoup from future NFL earnings. $8M sounds like a big number but if the kid was a bust or transfered they wouldn't be on the hook for the total amount and they would still own his NIL. These deals are crazy, not because of the dollar amounts but because of all of the potential for shady stuff from the collectives. These reported deals are making the music industry look clean.

If someone could have purchased Patrick Mahomes name, image and likeness when he was 18 for $325k guaranteed against $2M ceiling, don't you think that would be a bad deal for Mahomes?

Anyway, I hope we sign this kid.
This reminds me of the nightmare recording contracts. The ones that basically say that they own your vice no matter what you do.

Dudes are gonna sign and give up NiL to some dudes without any representation and it’s gonna get ugly.
This sounds like it may be more than more than just some booster bagmen.

This reminds me of the nightmare recording contracts. The ones that basically say that they own your vice no matter what you do.

Dudes are gonna sign and give up NiL to some dudes without any representation and it’s gonna get ugly.
This sounds like it may be more than more than just some booster bagmen.
360 deals. Stuff of nightmares.

I did a small stint at a record company years ago, and they would routinely sign new artist to these horrendous deals. **** near lifetime contracts.

Some of their bigger artist started making noise about it, and though those artists may claim they're no longer on the label, the label is absolutely still profiting off of those artists new material and earnings.

this kid is ****** nuts. His highlight tape had me in awe.

Seems like we’re in a decent spot with him but Ill keep my **** in my pants for now. Hard to feel like we don’t have a shot with these types of kids with Mario at the helm now, though.

Advertisement
Yup. And A&M/UT are just following how Saban got it started. It shouldn’t come as a shock that you’ve got to overpay when the results haven’t been great. We should take note
I love that we are in the mix, but right or wrong when there was no NIL, that was the time. Sure, the NCAA would have been all over us to hold us down like they always do..even if we didn’t have Shalala f-ing up what we were post 2001, but now it is battling every money collective and sadly will affect how great a recruiter Cristobal was when there was none of this.

He will get his, but now it is sadly highest bidder ****…which will even out the advantage we would have had if we were in the mix 2007 forward.

360 deals. Stuff of nightmares.

I did a small stint at a record company years ago, and they would routinely sign new artist to these horrendous deals. **** near lifetime contracts.

Some of their bigger artist started making noise about it, and though those artists may claim they're no longer on the label, the label is absolutely still profiting off of those artists new material and earnings.
I was just about to make the comparison to the music industry. Or at least what the music industry used to be. Give an unknown artist a relatively small amount of money in exchange for his/her rights for sometimes decades. LL Cool J is a great example. He had a 20+ year lucrative music career that he barely profited from.

this kid is ****** nuts. His highlight tape had me in awe.

Seems like we’re in a decent spot with him but Ill keep my **** in my pants for now. Hard to feel like we don’t have a shot with these types of kids with Mario at the helm now, though.
Feel like we were in a good spot before UT came in with that offer.

Advertisement
I love that we are in the mix, but right or wrong when there was no NIL, that was the time. Sure, the NCAA would have been all over us to hold us down like they always do..even if we didn’t have Shalala f-ing up what we were post 2001, but now it is battling every money collective and sadly will affect how great a recruiter Cristobal was when there was none of this.

He will get his, but now it is sadly highest bidder ****…which will even out the advantage we would have had if we were in the mix 2007 forward.
Completely disagree on the basis that it is way to early to tell how things are going to play out. You are assuming that we don’t have the money to compete, which remains to be seen.

Also, this highest bidder **** you’re lamenting… it’s been that way for a long, long time. In years past, we were at a huge disadvantage because of cash that flowed behind the scenes. Patrick Peterson (Johnson) was the beginning of that era. We tried to compete on that level and wound up on probation. Now, we are able to compete legally, and can leverage the resources of one of the wealthiest areas of America and you think we are somehow worse off?

The SEC schools aren’t going down without a fight, but things are a lot better for Miami than they’ve been in 20 years.

We were routinely threatened with extinction every time there was whiff of Miami hooking players up with dinners or rental cars. NIL providing a level playing field for ability to spend is nothing but a positive for us (of course we need to have the funds to spend--which very fortunately seems to be new for us, too)

Five-star quarterback Nico Iamaleava is back at Long Beach Poly after enrolling today, the Iamaleava family confirmed. Imaleava played for the Jackrabbits as a freshman before transferring to Warren for the last two pandemic-affected seasons. He arrives back at 1600 Atlantic as one of the top football players in the nation, a 6-6 phenom with scholarship offers from across the country, from Alabama to Tennessee to Oregon. Iamaleava is rated the No. 3 football recruit in the nation by 247 Sports, with a 98 overall rating to go with his five stars.

“I’m excited for sure,” said Iamaleava. “Finishing my career off in Long Beach, that was the ultimate goal for me. Just coming home for my senior year.”

Iamaleava’s younger brother, Madden, is a rising sophomore QB who recently received a scholarship offer from Tennessee. Both brothers are also highly-ranked volleyball players.
The Iamaleava’s older brother, Matt, graduated from Poly and is on the roster for the No. 1-ranked Long Beach State men’s volleyball team, and older sister Nicaylah graduated from Poly and plays for Cypress College.
The transfer is a significant one for Poly, as Iamaleava has picked the Jackrabbits over everyone–shucking the trend of big-name prep quarterbacks opting to funnel into private schools in Southern California over the last several years.

“We never looked at those private schools, I just really want to finish my high school career off in my hometown, Long Beach was always the ultimate goal,” said Nico.

Nic Iamaleava, the patriarch of the family, is excited for his son and for his hometown.

“This is about the city and coming back home,” he said. “It’s about giving back. He’s a Long Beach kid, he was born at St. Mary’s, I grew up down the street and he grew up right here. So here we are coming full circle–Nico wants to come home, he wants to make this right.”

In addition today’s news, Nic said that daughter McKenna Iamaleava, a middle school standout in the Mizuno Volleyball Club, will be a Jackrabbit as well in the coming years, the fifth of her siblings to compete in the sport at Poly.

“We’re excited, everyone’s been hunting us down at tournaments asking where Nico’s going,” said Nick. “Well, here we are.”

The transfers are an immediate profile boost to a Poly football program that has taken some significant steps forward in the last few seasons. The Jackrabbits dominated the CIF-SS Division 4 bracket last year en route to the program’s 20th CIF-SS championship, and return 18 starters from that team, including almost all linemen and several top-tier skill players, including likely All-American DB Daylen Austin.

Iamaleava was sharp last year for the Bears, throwing 33 touchdowns in just nine games. The Jackrabbits have historically boasted great skill and line players, but have very rarely had top-flight quarterback talent. The last two All-American QBs at Poly were Matt Corral and Chris Lewis, the only two Jackrabbits to receive that honor at the position in the last half-century.

With Iamaleava and returning junior QB Darius Curry, the Jackrabbits suddenly find themselves with multiple signal-callers carrying SEC offers, an unprecedented embarrassment of riches at the school. Poly is likely to draw national rankings and attention as they enter a highly-anticipated 2022 season.

Advertisement
I was just about to make the comparison to the music industry. Or at least what the music industry used to be. Give an unknown artist a relatively small amount of money in exchange for his/her rights for sometimes decades. LL Cool J is a great example. He had a 20+ year lucrative music career that he barely profited from.
Fun fact just to illustrate the point:

Eazy E made almost more money off of The Chronics physical album sales than Dr. Dre did.

Dre was screaming Death Row and dissing Eazy, while Eazy was collecting a check off of the same album.

Dang so these collectives are trying to get their money back and then some from the NFL checks later?

Eff that give me the $50k deal and I’ll keep my name and likeness for me thank you

We were routinely threatened with extinction every time there was whiff of Miami hooking players up with dinners or rental cars. NIL providing a level playing field for ability to spend is nothing but a positive for us (of course we need to have the funds to spend--which very fortunately seems to be new for us, too)
Again, I'm not so sure how level it will end up being, but it should be a **** of a lot more level than before.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back