Miami offers 2019 DB Martin Emerson

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
UM extended an offer tonight to 2019 prospect Martin Emerson, a 3-star DB from Pine Forest (FL). Although he had been reported as an offeree by other outlets since May, CIS has since learned those reports were inaccurate.

Even though he is listed as a cornerback by recruiting services, Emerson has played safety this season and that's what Miami is looking at him as for now. His offer came from safeties coach Ephraim Banda and that is who his primary contact will be going forward.

The 6'2" 185 pounder has been committed to Mississippi State since July and also claims offers from Nebraska, Ole Miss, and Louisville to name a few.

Emerson is now part of a deep and talented target list at safety, as UM is still hard after Tyrique Stevenson, Jordan Battle, and Cornelius Nunn as well. The Canes have also pegged all around athlete Mark-Antony Richards at the safety spot, and Miami is looking to take 2 or 3 at the position. Chaminade-Madonna 4-star Keontra Smith is the lone safety commit as of now.

Advertisement
Seems to be a lot of talent in this year's class in Pensacola.

We've offered 3 OL and this DB up there so far.

Advertisement
I don't understand the need to recruit a kid like this. You can get any dozen DBs within a stones throw from the University of a similar quality. Turned down players like Jaden Davis and Elam only for an offer to pop up with this guy in September. Blows my mind.

I would bet that he's a worse case scenario guy. What ever happened to Kenny Logan as a worse case scenario?

Advertisement
Defensive staff man...
We're graduating both starting safeties and only return Carter,Hall and Knowles.You would think top safeties would be begging our staff for a spot since their an injury away from maybe starting next year as true freshmen.

Btw he’s a safety prospect...no way is this kid a corner. Rumph has shaped some odd **** into semblance but idk if anyone can do it for this kid.

Advertisement
I don't understand the need to recruit a kid like this. You can get any dozen DBs within a stones throw from the University of a similar quality. Turned down players like Jaden Davis and Elam only for an offer to pop up with this guy in September. Blows my mind.
Wtf are you whining about? He ain’t a corner...

On the positive side, he's had 96tcks total in his HS career, 58tcks last year as a Junior, so if he's being recruited by us as a Safety then it's mainly for his tackling.

On the other hand, he's never recorded a INT in 3 years of playing, so his ball skills are definitely not up to par. If he's being recruited as a Striker Safety or Rover, I'm not sure if that's what he's best at.

I don't have a problem with the offer (don't think he's a take though), to me it's basically the staff doing their due diligence, but it's also them realizing they're going to miss on some of their top targets at Safety (Rique, Battle...).

If we're going to offer more Safety's my youngin EJ Jackson is the kid I hope gets an offer, he's a ballhawk & he's an under the radar 3-star that can actually develop into a legit playmaker at the next level.
They’ve just thrown away from him for every game in 3 years. No big deal. I’m sure he’s a 5 Star somewhere

Advertisement
They’ve just thrown away from him for every game in 3 years. No big deal. I’m sure he’s a 5 Star somewhere

If he was from a different state he would be a 5 star, but there is a secret rule that limits the number of 5 stars per state otherwise all 42 of them would be from Florida. Only members of CIS know about this rule though.

Advertisement
Back