Miami Offense Ahead of Expectations

Not a joke, go look it up. He didn't call plays last season, and wasn't very involved until he was forced to be when Baker appeared to be in over his head.

I think people may underestimate how valuable actual game day play-calling is.... AND.. how valuable a DC is with coaching up the details - blitz depth, timing, leverage, ect. We were not nearly as well coached last year as we were a year earlier, and it had a lot to do with having a new play-caller (mediocre Approach and execution) who wasn’t as dialed in on the details.

Diaz is not our DC. But we’ll need all hands on deck when we face offenses like Clemson, UL and UNC.

Advertisement
247 sports is saying they are hearing from people at the first scrimmage that coaches and everyone at the scrimmage was shocked by how good the offense is already. And that they expect a huge improvement in that area.

Miami talk starts at the 3 min mark and goes till the 6 min mark

They’re really flying around out there!

Lib, do you see Ivey making the jump? I think that is key. Last year was not a promising start for him, but he still looks like a guy who looks the part, at least. But he was more Carlos Armour than Antrell Rolle
I'm skeptical, but I'm willing to wait & see.

I believe Christian Williams will be better at Boundary, however I can never really get a gauge on how the staff decides who should start. I (like most on here) knew that Rousseau should've been starting from day 1 over Patchan, but for whatever reason it took them 5 weeks to figure that out.

I believe Christian Williams will be better at Boundary, however I can never really get a gauge on how the staff decides who should start. I (like most on here) knew that Rousseau should've been starting from day 1 over Patchan, but for whatever reason it took them 5 weeks to figure that out.
I’m concerned they’re about to do this with Jennings. Hope I’m wrong.

I’m concerned they’re about to do this with Jennings. Hope I’m wrong.
At LB I think we'll see a healthy rotation...

From my understanding, Jennings will be the primary backup Mike LB, the 1st team starters will be McCloud & Brooks, the 2nd team guys to rotate in will be Jennings & Steed.

The Defensive staff places the premium on experience over everything, if you've been in the program for a few years they will play no matter what. If you're a talented Freshman, just sit tight & wait for some injuries to happen lol.

Advertisement

You may have already seem this El but I thought you might enjoy this article.

Our defense is going to regress this year. Losing two four year starters at linebacker and a top 5 pick will have an impact. I still think we will be good, but not dominant. If the offense can be top 40 in scoring (~31 ppg) and we can be opportunistic on D, we will win most of our games
I don't think so. I think they have a chance to be better (not stats wise because we dont have cupcakes on the schedule), but actual on field play. I think we are going to get more production from the D tackles, and as good a year as rouseau had, garvin had pressures but not sacks, so I think there will be more balanced production on the D line.

Experience is key. Our corners will be improved, plus theres competition in camp. Our safeties are key, as they can clean up some bad plays by LB's, or keep the plsy in front of them. Its one of the best groups on the team. We have decent depth, lot unproven but we also have speed at LB finally. watch tape and see Shaq either slow reading the play, or late breaking to the flat, Our backers can run, and may of them are longer.

Just ******* around but it would not shock me if the defense gets worked this year.

The defense has been good for a minute, but it’s only a matter of time before they finally give out. Not to mention we are lacking big time in the coaching department Defensively.

If the offense can do it’s thing and specials keep trending up. We’ll be ok. Praying the defense doesn’t break.
Its been the same coaching staff on that side of the ball, and they have been a top end defense for three strait years. This is the best safety tandem we have had in a long time. lack of experience, but speed at LB. depth and some studs on the line for a more balanced attack. the corners, which were a week spot, well Ivey was, blades played pretty well, but they are only going to improve after getting a season of game experience.

The drop you mention could come next year, because the D line could be all new, plus the safeties could be all new.

From my understanding, Jennings will be the primary backup Mike LB, the 1st team starters will be McCloud & Brooks, the 2nd team guys to rotate in will be Jennings & Steed.

The Defensive staff places the premium on experience over everything, if you've been in the program for a few years they will play no matter what. If you're a talented Freshman, just sit tight & wait for some injuries to happen lol.

Huff out of the two deep? With his athleticism, I'd really hope to see him get in the rotation and get some meaningful snaps. But the defensive snap has shown time and again that they value time in the program, so I suspect you are spot on.

Advertisement
I'm going on record, that the defense will better this year in every phase. Statistically, more physical, & win us a game or two.

That would be a great rotation. Less experience but more speed and athleticism.

Advertisement
Back