Miami Northwestern vs. Booker T Post-Game Analysis

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
-Booker T beat "The West" easily by a score of 32-6. It was Stephen Field's first game as head coach of the Bulls and there is definitely work that needs to be done. The talent drop off between the last few years and now for MNW is drastic. It is obvious that the talent just isn't there like the past. On the other hand, the Tornadoes look like a force to be reckoned with this year.

-The most impressive player of the night was none other than Matthew Thomas. He played up to everything he is supposed to be and more. The number one thing that sticks out about him is his versatility. He was lining up in every which way including from the middle linebacker spot, outside linebacker, stand-up end, he put his hand on the ground, and even played a couple snaps at defensive tackle and stunted to the outside. He had about 3 sacks by my count and also had a forced fumble. He was also effective dropping back into pass coverage. It would be catastrophic to see him end up anywhere other than Miami. He is that good.

-Another player that stood out was 2014 DL Chad Thomas. Thomas lined up inside as well as outside, but looks like a pure DE at the next level. He is extremely quick off the ball and has a great frame. He was in the backfield all night long and definitely looks like a high-level prospect.

-Denver Kirkland looked out of shape quite frankly, but that can be corrected once he gets to the next level. It's hard to teach his size, but he needs work with technique as well. There were multiple times early in the game where he had his hands on his hips and was on one knee in the huddle. Not a huge concern, but something to monitor.

-2014 CB Nigel Patten was very impressive on the night. While he isn't the tallest, he has a solid build with track speed and can cover. He was one-on-one with FSU commit JoJo Robinson all night, but had him blanketed and Robinson didn't have a catch all night.

-I really like 2014 ATH Treon Harris. Harris threw 3 TDs on the night and also made plays with his feet as well. He has deceptive athleticism and just finds ways to make plays. He is a kid that Miami has to take.

-Miami commit Artie Burns was playing safety and receiver on the night. At safety, he made a huge hit on a Booker T receiver. There was one instance where he could have made a play on the ball but tripped and Booker T scored on the play. He had a long kick return out to the Booker T 30 yard line. On offense, he made a couple nice catches, which showed his athletic ability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Pete, in regards to Harris.

Is he a kid Miami can take and then find a position for him later?

Also what position do you feel he is best suited for at the next level? Corner? Slot Receiver?

Wonderful environment at Traz. Very happy to meet Coach Courcy out there, dude is incredibly knowledgeable and a nice guy. I echo Peter's thoughts and wanted to add a few more:

- If there is a better defensive prospect in America than Matthew Thomas, I'd like to see him. Peter mentioned his versatility, and Thomas made plays in every one of those roles. **** near every time he rushed he either got to the quarterback or got vertical and disrupted the passing lane. I wonder what his vertical leap is, because he is incredibly springy and explosive. In coverage, he showed great short-area quicks covering the slot and got tremendous depth in his drops at inside linebacker.

Two things surprised me about Thomas:

1) He is a **** good traditional linebacker. His best role is rushing the passer and keeping OCs guessing with his versatility. However, he played inside linebacker for long stretches and was every bit as dominant. He blew up numerous plays in the backfield and showed an ability to read keys and shoot gaps that I didn't know he had. He also timed his blitzes well from the inside and had a sack/fumble coming through the A-gap.

2) He's stronger than I thought. Despite his wiry frame, Thomas was pushing guys around for most of the game. When he got in a gang-tackle, he would make it a solo tackle and rag-doll the ball carrier six yards down the field. His lean strength is reminiscent of a Jason Pierre-Paul. Can't even imagine what he will become when he puts on weight.

- Chad Thomas impressed me. He played defensive tackle for most of the game and was always around the ball and/or the quarterback. He also recovered a fumble. What impressed me most was his motor and his quickness off the snap. While he isn't a transcendent talent like Matthew Thomas (who is?), he definitely looks Miami caliber. Once he fills his still-skinny frame, he will give the Canes a much-needed traditional defensive end (if we get him, of course).

- I think Artie Burns will make his initial impact at Miami on special teams. With his physical nature and acceleration, he should be a weapon on kickoff returns, coverage units, and FG/Punt blocking. His size is excellent and while he doesn't have elite long speed (Nigel Patton ran him down), his acceleration is second to none.

- Denver Kirkland got caught Tebowing more than a few times, and I don't think he was praying. His conditioning needs to improve.

Last edited:
Get them Thomas boys' in here. Suprised to hear about Kirklands conditioning. What are the measurables on Patten? Is there any interest there?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Is it possible Thomas could overtake Tunsil as the top overall player in the state?

After reading yall's coverage, I want that kid to commit even more now. Sounds like he'd be one of the best incoming recruits ever at this school.

Wonderful environment at Traz. Very happy to meet Coach Courcy out there, dude is incredibly knowledgeable and a nice guy. I echo Peter's thoughts and wanted to add a few more:

- If there is a better defensive prospect in America than Matthew Thomas, I'd like to see him. Peter mentioned his versatility, and Thomas made plays in every one of those roles. **** near every time he rushed he either got to the quarterback or got vertical and disrupted the passing lane. I wonder what his vertical leap is, because he is incredibly springy and explosive. In coverage, he showed great short-area quicks covering the slot and got tremendous depth in his drops at inside linebacker.

Two things surprised me about Thomas:

1) He is a **** good traditional linebacker. His best role is rushing the passer and keeping OCs guessing with his versatility. However, he played inside linebacker for long stretches and was every bit as dominant. He blew up numerous plays in the backfield and showed an ability to read keys and shoot gaps that I didn't know he had. He also timed his blitzes well from the inside and had a sack/fumble coming through the A-gap.

2) He's stronger than I thought. Despite his wiry frame, Thomas was pushing guys around for most of the game. When he got in a gang-tackle, he would make it a solo tackle and rag-doll the ball carrier six yards down the field. His lean strength is reminiscent of a Jason Pierre-Paul. Can't even imagine what he will become when he puts on weight.

- Chad Thomas impressed me. He played defensive tackle for most of the game and was always around the ball and/or the quarterback. He also recovered a fumble. What impressed me most was his motor and his quickness off the snap. While he isn't a transcendent talent like Matthew Thomas (who is?), he definitely looks Miami caliber. Once he fills his still-skinny frame, he will give the Canes a much-needed traditional defensive end (if we get him, of course).

- I think Artie Burns will make his initial impact at Miami on special teams. With his physical nature and acceleration, he should be a weapon on kickoff returns, coverage units, and FG/Punt blocking. His size is excellent and while he doesn't have elite long speed (Nigel Patton ran him down), his acceleration is second to none.

- Denver Kirkland got caught Tebowing more than a few times, and I don't think he was praying. His conditioning needs to improve.

Will continue to say:

Matthew Thomas is the #2 player (behind Sammy Watkins) over the last 3 years. This is coming from one of Duke's biggest fans (EthenicSands has gotta be up there) and maybe Alex Collins' biggest fan.

Hey Lu, did you see Tarean Folston play yesterday? I know how high you are on Collins', but that kid looked good against American Heritage.

As far as Thomas goes, he almost seems like he's the guy you create on NCAAA create a player; perfect blend of size, athleticism and nastiness.

Advertisement
Will continue to say:

Matthew Thomas is the #2 player (behind Sammy Watkins) over the last 3 years. This is coming from one of Duke's biggest fans (EthenicSands has gotta be up there) and maybe Alex Collins' biggest fan.

He's a must get!

So just how good of a football player is Burns.... is he going to be a difference maker at the next level or a specimen we're going to try and mold?

Advertisement
So just how good of a football player is Burns.... is he going to be a difference maker at the next level or a specimen we're going to try and mold?

I like him. He has physical tools and a good head on his shoulders. He's a little straightlinish, and he got turned around and fell on his *** on a BTW TD in the 1st. But he improves the physical makeup of the team and the mental makeup of the team.

Last edited:
Surprised to hear Artie got run down....hurdlers don't really need long speed, but that's still pretty impressive for Patten. Kid must have elite speed, any other info n him? From what I was able to find he may be on the small side.

Last edited:
Surprised to hear Artie got run down....hurdles don't really need long speed, but that's still pretty impressive for Patten. Kid must have elite speed, any other info n him? From what I was able to find he may be on the small side.

Patten is one of the top 5 track runners in the state.. FSU has offered

Advertisement
Back