Miami no longer part of picture for Trevill Holcy

Jfizz1021

Freshman
From the Sun-Sentinel:

Trevill Holcy had every intention of playing his college football at the University of Miami.

On March 25, the day after the 6-foot-5, 210-pound St. Cloud wide receiver committed to play for the Hurricanes, he ran out to a local Nike outlet and purchased an armload of Hurricanes' gear to represent his new school.

To his surprise, however, that same day, he learned from his UM recruiter Hurlie Brown that the 'Canes weren't ready to take on another receiver in the class.

Understandably, Holcy was upset.

"I took all that stuff back ... returned it," Holcy said of his UM gear.

He had harsh words for the Hurricanes coaching staff at the time. And, unfortunately for Holcy, his own coach Bryan Smart was on vacation during spring break, so his strongest supporter was unavailable for advice.

He stewed for a couple of days, an outcast from a program to which he had given his full trust, but, Smart says, Holcy will be better suited to make a more educated decision in the future. For this particular situation, Miami had taken commitments from too many wide receivers. The 'Canes took four receivers in the 2014 class and already have two more penciled in for 2015.

"He'll have plenty of opportunities to go elsewhere," Smart said. "I really don't think [UM] thought he was going to commit so fast, and I guess other kids had committed ... I don't know. They don't always give you the full answer."

The one thing that is for sure is that over-offering happens all the time. FSU offered more than 160 players last recruiting cycle. They took 29. That doesn't make it right and it also doesn't make it any easier for Holcy to swallow.

"That's the hard part. It's a 17-year-old kid and they recruit him and recruit him and he finally agrees to come, then a couple days later they pull the carpet out from under him," Smart said, "But they have every right to do that. It's a bad situation, but he's a tough kid and he'll bounce back, He'll get in the right situation."

Smart is correct. Schools have every right to pull their scholarship offers. Players pull their commitments all the time. It's part of the recruiting game. Holcy said the Hurricanes told him they'd still be recruiting him as a tight end. He said, "No thanks."

"I have no interest in the University of Miami, now," said Holcy, the No. 23-ranked player in the 2015 Central Florida Super60. "The way I see it is that if they can't accept my commitment, then it's not an offer. So it's totally off the table for me."

He currently has four other offers from UCF, Kentucky, Ole Miss and Memphis.

"It's not that I'm glad they pulled the carpet out from under him, but I do want him to experience it all," Smart said. "You only get to experience this once. A lot of people will be interested in him."

Advertisement
Can't blame the kid for being upset, but I'm also glad he wasn't a take.

Sounds like we could end up with Clarington and Archibald at TE in this cycle after officially landing Herndon and Njoku just a couple months ago. And he doesn't seem to have the suddenness or top-end speed to remain at receiver, where there are several other in-state talents of higher priority such as Ridley, Cain, Burgess-Becker (if he doesn't end up at safety), Peete, etc.

If this happened to any of you or better yet your child.......jimmies would be rustled .

Last edited:
Advertisement
Look tough break on both parts but fact of the matter is oher guys came first and numbers dictated what his role would be and tbh if he decommitted from us himself nobody would be surprised knowing how recruiting is. Tough break but this is recruiting this **** happens on both parts. Mostly by the kid leaving the school high and dry

Advertisement
71.gif

Can anyone give some real insight into: 1. why we offered him so soon if he wasn't a priority? 2. what other priority players committed causing us to pull his commitment after a couple of days?

Advertisement

Sounds like we could end up with Clarington and Archibald at TE in this cycle after officially landing Herndon and Njoku just a couple months ago. And he doesn't seem to have the suddenness or top-end speed to remain at receiver, where there are several other in-state talents of higher priority such as Ridley, Cain, Burgess-Becker (if he doesn't end up at safety), Peete, etc.

Clarington will not sign here

Advertisement

Really? What brings you to that conclusion HG?

Really? What brings you to that conclusion HG?

What I'm hearing from a coach, not champagnat

Advertisement
Back