Miami Mentions: 2019 Rivals250 June Update

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
The newest update of the Rivals250 for the class of 2019 was released today.

And there was plenty of movement in the most recent version of the rankings, as there were tons of movers and shakers after another round of camps and evaluations revealed new insight on the rising senior class.

How did Miami and Surge19 do? Well, they boosted their number of commits inside the Rivals250 from three to four since the last update in February. LB Anthony Solomon's commitment and LB Avery Huff’s move into the rankings was the difference there, along with WR Brieon Fuller’s decommitment.

There were also plenty of Hurricanes' targets that made an appearance on the Rivals250, reflecting yet another deep pool of talent in Florida this year.

Without further delay, here's a handy, dandy list of the Miami commits and targets in the newest Rivals250.

Miami Commits (New Rank/Old Rank/Change)

LB Avery Huff
: 167 <-- NR (N/A)

WR Jeremiah Payton: 176 <-- 178 (+2)

LB Anthony Solomon: 244 <-- 155 (-89)

DE Cameron Williams: 249 <-- 245 (-4)

Miami Targets (New Rank/Old Rank/Change)

OT Darnell Wright
: 2 <-- 2 (N/A)

RB Trey Sanders: 8 <-- 11 (+3)

OG Kardell Thomas: 14 <--26 (+12)

DE/DT Christopher Hinton: 18 <-- 13 (-5)

CB Akeem Dent: 20 <-- 22 (+2)

ATH Mark-Antony Richards: 28 <-- 23 (-5)

WR Lance Wilhoite: 34 <-- 55 (+21)

OG Evan Neal: 45 <-- 39 (-6)

DT Travon Walker: 46 <-- 40 (-6)

WR John Dunmore: 47 <-- 41 (-6)

RB Noah Cain: 49 <-- 60 (+11)

DE Khris Bogle: 50 <-- 43 (-7)

S Brendan Gant: 62 <-- 57 (-5)

OG Dontae Lucas: 76 <-- 72 (-4)

RB John Emery: 80 <-- 179 (+99)

OG Deyavie Hammond: 87 <-- 80 (-7)

DE King Mwikuta: 99 <-- 85 (-14)

LB Rian Davis: 100 <-- NR (N/A)

OG Will Putnam: 104 <-- 87 (-17)

RB Kenny McIntosh: 113 <-- 99 (-14)

CB Kaiir Elam: 153 <-- 198 (+45)

DT Derick Hunter: 157 <-- 95 (-62)

CB Josh Sanguinetti: 165 <-- 49 (-116)

QB Michael Johnson Jr.: 169 <-- 122 (-47)

CB Tyrique Stevenson: 175 <-- 162 (-13)

CB Te'Cory Couch: 178 <-- NR (N/A)

DE Lloyd Summerall: 195 <-- 211 (+16)

ATH Zion Puckett: 233 <-- 225 (-8)

TE Keon Zipperer: 238 <-- 230 (-8)

DT Jaquaze Sorrells: NR <-- 149 (N/A)

DE Braylen Ingraham: NR <-- 174 (N/A)

What I liked

**LB Avery Huff made the large jump
from outside the Rivals250 to close to the top 150, landing at #167 overall and he is now UM’s highest ranked commit. It was well-deserved in my mind, and as more people become aware of Huff, he could easily keep pushing higher. It’s even more interesting, though, because Huff made zero camp appearances this off-season; his rise is attributed solely to more people watching his prior tape because of his transfer to St. Thomas Aquinas, as he’s gotten much more exposure and talk of his talent has spread through word-of-mouth.

**Like Huff, Miami target CB Te’Cory Couch was also previously outside of the Rivals250, but made quite a move to end up at #178 overall. People worry about Couch’s slight size, but his length is off the charts and he has more than performed against elite competition at camps over the off-season, even earning an invite to the Under Amour Game at the UA Miami camp a few months back. I expect Couch to jump from the target list to the commit list of this section by the end of this weekend, as I have reason to believe Couch is a silent commit to the staff that will go public very soon.

**I love UM target LB Rian Davis now inside the top 100, which is really at least a 150+ spot bump from outside the Rivals250. He moves very well at 6’3” 230 and is someone who could fit in just about any scheme. Davis is strong knifing into the backfield to make a play, while also being a physical, violent hitter. Georgia leads here, but Miami is still involved.

**I didn’t mind DB Josh Sanguinetti’s 116 place drop. He’s had a rough off-season so far, which started by being completely invisible at the Rivals 3-Stripe Miami camp, and then testing poorly at the Opening Chicago, running a 4.86 40. The Canes have dropped him on their own board due to lack of physicality, but there is still contact between the parties and he could very well still end up in this class to keep his teammate and big UM RB target Kenny McIntosh happy.

What I Hated

**LB Anthony Solomon fell significantly
, dropping 89 spots to #244 overall, something I didn’t quite get considering his above-average camp performance this off-season. Solomon had a solid Opening Miami camp, but actually shined at Rivals’ own 3-Stripe Miami camp, winning LB MVP. This was also pointed out by Rivals analyst Chad Simmons and something that confused him as well.

**DB Tyrique Stevenson remains underrated by Rivals at #175 overall and actually got bumped down a few spots in this update. Simmons also went to bat for him as well writing, “Stevenson is a South Florida athlete I really like more each time I see him. He is a big corner, and I really like his twitch and aggressive style of play.” With his combo of size and speed, I don’t see any reason for Stevenson not to at least be considered a top 100 prospect, and I believe that will eventually correct itself by the time the rankings cycle is over.

**While I also didn’t like WR Jeremiah Payton so low at #176, I really hate that OG Evan Neal is still not a 5-star. There is obviously something in particular the recruiting services are waiting to see from him, but I’ve seen all I need. He lost one rep at the Opening Miami and was simply impossible to move or get around for the majority of a very talented D-Line field. Neal is still considered a Miami-lean and had a great visit to campus with family last week.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Just proves how/Why there are under the radar kids in s.fl. I love huff but he gets a big boost just because more people chose to look at him, a transfer didn't make him better?

"**I didn’t mind DB Josh Sanguinetti’s 116 place drop. He’s had a rough off-season so far, which started by being completely invisible at the Rivals 3-Stripe Miami camp, and then testing poorly at the Opening Chicago, running a 4.86 40. The Canes have dropped him on their own board due to lack of physicality, but there is still contact between the parties and he could very well still end up in this class to keep his teammate and big UM RB target Kenny McIntosh happy."

I have no idea what will happen with this kid, but this is why I don't like all these predictions people throw around. These are HS kids, it's next to impossible to tell how they'll do in college, let alone the NFL. Kids have ups and downs, sometimes they lose their way emotionally, sometimes they crack under the pressure or don't develop the way you expect. The same way people drooling over this kid last winter looks silly now, impressions from June may look silly next December. It's a crap shoot.

RIVALS ARE JUST LIKE OTHERS, A STRAIGHT JOKE!! THE MIAMI HATE IS REAL.. I bet Bama, OSU, FSu, LSU, UF, Texas, USC and others saw their current commit's get a bump up, BUT we all know Miami isn't that lucky..

These rankings is a JOKE!!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back