Miami Manifesto - What We Are and Who We Are...

There are only two elite coaches right now, Saban and Dabo. The other elite was Urban Myer, Jimbo and Brian Kelly are not elite. They are Tier 1 along with Mack Brown who's recruiting skills are legendary and is why I put him up there. Ask me in 2 or 3 years about Ryan Day, not yet and Lincoln Riley is lower end of Tier 1 along with Kirby Smart who's rank is dropping. Manny is what he is, kind of a band aid to stop the bleeding, he can recruit okay, but not at an elite level and his teams are poorly coached. We can get better with internal changes such as Lashlee, but it's a quick fix. The solution is to hire an Elite or Tier 1 coach and that will never happen. We need an Urban Myer or Jimbo and quality OC and DC to turn things around and it's just not going to happen. **** Manny won't even fire Rumph or Baker, so what does that tell you. Mark Richt is the closest we'll get and he already had one foot out the door and ready to retire. This program does't put emphasis on being the best anymore. Truth be told, thank god we play in the ACC, so we can beat up on Duke and squeak by the average to weak teams in our conference.

Those coaches are good because they know what to do with money and resources.

Goes back to an old argument: do you think Saban could win at Miami with Miami's resources?

I really don't think he could. At least, not to the degree he does at Bama.

All that isn't to say Miami hasn't dropped the ball on hiring the right people. They have f--ked up to an amazing degree, but the sport has changed. Probably important to keep in perspective.

Advertisement
Part of that BOT was ****ed because Highsmith wasnt hired if I remember correctly.
Maybe Frenk loses his ability to support the direction of the program after our performance this year, but my fear is he'll parrot the window-dressing about wins, recruiting, and progress because he's really not much of a football fan and doesn't have much perspective that way about our program.

The next level would be encouraging Frenk to leave, but I can't see that happening over our Athletic Department; not enough passionate football-people on the BOTs to make even basic changes in athletics--let alone go that far.

Those coaches are good because they know what to do with money and resources.

Goes back to an old argument: do you think Saban could win at Miami with Miami's resources?

I really don't think he could. At least, not to the degree he does at Bama.

All that isn't to say Miami hasn't dropped the ball on hiring the right people. They have f--ked up to an amazing degree, but the sport has changed. Probably important to keep in perspective.
I agree, Miami doesn't have the money to hire Saban, Dabo, Myer or a Tier 1 coach, but I think Saban, Dabo or Myer could absolutely win at Miami with Miami's resources. They come to Miami, they still recruit top 5 classes and turn the program around with their coaching, just saying. It won't happen, so it doesn't matter, we are what we are, maybe a top 20 team, thanks to King and covid schedule for all of college football this year.

Advertisement
I hardly post but after watching this season and talking to those in the “know” - most of our fans live in the “what if world” versus reality. What if we got a new coach. What if we got T2 or what if we got TRob! Who cares. One coach, one player, one internal change won’t be a monumental shift in fixing the problem, and maybe we were never that far behind, but maybe the elite got that much better and re-calibrated their map to become that much better in today’s landscape? Watching the games yesterday and this season further reinforced my opinion for what it’s worth, but outside of 6-8 teams we are not playing the same game - and nobody else is - not even Notre Dame. It’s the Power 8 vs everyone else. Those programs are Bama, OSU, Clemson, Georgia, LSU, Oklahoma, Texas, TAMU, and maybe Florida. Now you may think I’m crazy to include Texas, TAMU, or Florida but the resources and ingrained institutional cheating of SEC programs coupled with minor changes would fix them pretty quickly including Texas but they are the weakest of all with the most money (and as I write this they fire Herman). While it may seem as the last few years it’s a 4 team race, the others are much closer to being in that conversation than Miami. We can’t compete at that level and everyone else is fighting for scraps. No other teams are built like those, not even ND who looked like everyone else against the best.

Miami will always be a regular Top 25 team but the days of being a perennial Top 5/10 team unfortunately are a distant past and I’m not sure we can get there. This isn’t the 80’s, 90’s and early 2000’s. We aren’t playing in the same arms race. It has nothing to do with Manny, Blake or whatever, it starts with the Board of Trustees, but even then it’s not a guarantee. I’m close with someone who is involved at Wisconsin and they know they can’t compete with OSU, they don’t pay and they’ve accepted they can be a great team, develop talent but 5 stars and high level 4 stars aren’t going there. They can strive for Rose Bowls occasionally,
but playing for Championships it’s not in the cards. Winning at all costs in ingrained in the institutional fabric of those Programs. Nothing more and will settle for nothing less. Saban / Dabo are Yuri Orlov from Lord of War. We are the agent trying to catch up and can never do it.

Here are a few of my big issues besides money to start. Yet - money is a key component all these issues.

1. Eyes - all those programs are littered with so many eyes on the program they can see and spot deficiencies far faster and attack them far quicker. Having ex coaches as Analysts is a huge “X” factor that cannot be dismissed or ignored. This is not a knock on Manny - he’s not Saban, Dabo, or even Urban Meyer’s hand picked successor. Track record matters. I deal with this in my business. Heck Terry Bowden was a GA at Clemson - whether you like him or not - they guy is smart and knows football. Paying players to come is one thing, but more than that - they have eyes to spot anything and everything and they feast on getting the best and most eyes.
  2. Players / Skill And Trenches - Macho said it best the other day. We just aren’t getting the best Football Players. Our guys just don’t look the same. Our 4.3/4.4 guys look different than Bama’s 4.3/4.4 guys. Our lineman both on the OL and inside DL look different. Finding those hidden gems as Butch did is a thing of the past. Just looking at the SEC guys they dress different, they walk different, they LOOK different. Technology, recruiting sites, camps , 7 on 7 teams, YouTube, etc. make it a lot easier to uncover and find the best and the best frequently go to those top programs. Compounding that - it’s a massive indictment to this program when the average Joe on this site has a better eye than our coaches in seeing players. I wish @DMoney , @Cribby , @Liberty City El @LCane and @Coach Macho @LuCane and there are a few others I’m forgetting but had Analyst roles at Miami.
  3. Coaching - We all agree nothing really needs to be rehashed here - big problem both on staff and accountability / favoritism.
  4. Roster Management - PR, press, whatever - these programs drop guys fast and cut bait when they realize a guy can’t play. Stay at school or transfer. They take full 25 man classes yearly. We welcome back OLs like Hillary and Herbert who couldn’t crack 2nd string. Also we have poor depth because of it. Not to mention Public Universities and in-state tuition make it much easier to have more walk-ins and preferred walk-ons.
2 = evals. Some of us have been yelling about this for ages

4 = roster mgmt - some of us have been yelling about this for ages

1 - if you need eyes, read this board. there are posters here and elsewhere on other boards who know much more about oval FB and Miami deficiencies than Manny seems to. not saying that’s sufficient but the excuses for manny are weak. he doesn’t want smart people criticizing what he does. Saban wants the help.

3 - hire a real coach

Wisconsin can’t win because there’s no reason for wisconsin to win. It doesn’t have the local talent base. Miami maybe can win. After 20 years of self-imposed probation because of terrible coaching hires, it’s hard to conclude we can’t. We need a new culture and real staff.

Last edited:
How do we get back to the level of Clemson and Bama!?!? How about we figure out how to win bowl games again. 1-10 in the last 11 🙄

I think about how many games would be different if only our WR could catch a ball. Tons of drops. The games yesterday the QB's were like 21 for 23 at one point in the game. Our guys just flat drop the ball when it's right there. Deep balls or intermediate balls. It's who we are right now. A couple less drops per game and we are up by a lot more. And our punt returns suck. Catch the **** ball.

Advertisement
If you want to have a top 5 program, you have to have the hunger to want to be in the top 5. If Wisconsin is throwing in the towel, will
that is their problem, we do not have to follow suit, unless of course we are not hungry enough.
We threw in the towel years ago.... we just don’t accept it

Advertisement
Back