Miami linked to NIL investigaton

Advertisement
First, I’m not sure it is a formal investigation. It might lead to that, but right now the NCAA is looking into America Top Teams “teamwide” deal w UM to determine if violations of the rules governing NIL relationships were violated. Personally, I think this is an uphill batter. The deal was vetted by Lambert’s outside counsel and vetted and approved by UM compliance. I have an NIL deal w a UM player, and the contract had to be approved by UM compliance. Part of the problem is that the NCAA offers nearly zero guidance on what is permissible. Many states, like Florida, specifically allow the deals. I think as long as Lambert/ATTeam stuck to the terms of the contract with the players, and the players did as well, the NCAA has a real problem. First, you have reliance on counsel - if everyone did what the lawyers said was ok to do, it significantly mitigates anyone “intentionally” violating any rules. Second, since the NCAA chose not to draft clear guidelines as to what was permissible or prohibited, there might be something akin to a due process defense. People have a right to know what the rules are before they can be accused of breaking them. Not my area of practice, but this is going to be a tough rode for the NCAA imo.

First, I’m not sure it is a formal investigation. It might lead to that, but right now the NCAA is looking into America Top Teams “teamwide” deal w UM to determine if violations of the rules governing NIL relationships were violated. Personally, I think this is an uphill batter. The deal was vetted by Lambert’s outside counsel and vetted and approved by UM compliance. I have an NIL deal w a UM player, and the contract had to be approved by UM compliance. Part of the problem is that the NCAA offers nearly zero guidance on what is permissible. Many states, like Florida, specifically allow the deals. I think as long as Lambert/ATTeam stuck to the terms of the contract with the players, and the players did as well, the NCAA has a real problem. First, you have reliance on counsel - if everyone did what the lawyers said was ok to do, it significantly mitigates anyone “intentionally” violating any rules. Second, since the NCAA chose not to draft clear guidelines as to what was permissible or prohibited, there might be something akin to a due process defense. People have a right to know what the rules are before they can be accused of breaking them. Not my area of practice, but this is going to be a tough rode for the NCAA imo.
This is what the NCAA is doing here. I don’t think anyone in this first wave gets in trouble. The NCAA is just looking into these deals to see what they find problematic and what they find acceptable. They will likely then issue better guidance for the schools to follow. UM is in little to no jeopardy here, in my opinion.

What it does tell us, for those who wanted Jurich for example and said the NCAA is meaningless at this point, is how silly that notion is. There are still rules to be followed and if we **** around, they will get us. I never understood why NIL seems to have led so many to think that anyone can just do whatever they want, Wild West style.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Revisiting this as The NCAA today announced they were investigating Miami’s NIL deal. <a href="https://t.co/3Sq5c7HIu3">https://t.co/3Sq5c7HIu3</a></p>&mdash; Peter Burns (@PeterBurnsESPN) <a href="">December 10, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Thoughts on this guy, his credibility and why he would bother tweeting about the Canes when he covers the SEC?

peter-burns-espn-wiki-age-wife-salary.jpg

Advertisement
Advertisement
Having a company called bring the u back that pays NIL does raise an eyebrow as to how far one can take this. Of course we have to take it to the limit.

Advertisement
As another poster said, the NCAA offered no guidelines. So there is nothing on paper against paying an entire roster for NIL. And there is nothing to stop - let’s say Jerry Jones - from doing the same in Dallas and offering each player a $2M deal to sign with SMU. Or for Phil Knight to do the same for all athletes in all sports who sign with Oregon.

And furthermore, Saban leases cars to his players. And pre-NIL, as recently as 2019 his recruits were posting pictures holding large amounts of American currency in their hands on Instagram on national signing day. Does ESPN report on this? No. Do they care? No. They are willful hypocrites of the highest magnitude, and players in the competitive imbalance that CFB has devolved into.

I am actually surprised that ESPN has not offered a deal similar to that of America’s Top Team to Alabama. Or perhaps they prefer more traditional means of sponsorship - say through bags.

Advertisement
the players got payed to market his gym. this is straight bs.

no one is going to want to hire Manny if they know his connections are going to do spiteful sh*t like this when he doesn't get his way.

And furthermore, Saban leases cars to his players. And pre-NIL, as recently as 2019 his recruits were posting pictures holding large amounts of American currency in their hands on Instagram on national signing day. Does ESPN report on this? No. Do they care? No. They are willful hypocrites of the highest magnitude, and players in the competitive imbalance that CFB has devolved into.
But, but, but .... ESPN loves us and Kirk Herbstreit loves us and the ratings are great when Miami is winning and ...

Sad Save Me GIF by CBeebies HQ

Advertisement
Back