Miami linked to NIL investigaton

Advertisement
hmmmm.... i wonder if Phil Knight used his leverage in college football to get at us since we took Mario away from Oregon! Best conspiracy theory I can come up with...anyone else have a sinister plot?

Go to sleep

As I said before, The NCAA is a joke.

Again, there were no set parameters around NIL b/c The NCAA’s governing body was too busy justifying why student athletes don’t & shouldn’t get paid, instead of embracing or coming up w/ an amicable plan to allow student athletes to be compensated from an institutional standpoint (i.e % of $ from jersey sales, autograph events, commercials, stipend from features in video games, magazines, etc.) They planned for none of that, then try to put together some ambiguous language to show they were still in control, someway. Again, the language was ambiguous & unclear, hence the Wild, Wild West took place between boosters & players.

This is ridiculous for any and all schools to put up with. This is just the ncaa trying to keep some control over the sport that they are slowly losing. I hope we sue them for damages on this, the supreme court ruled on this matter and the ncaa needs to feel the pain if they're trying to bypass the ruling.

Advertisement
I have two questions:

(1) Does anybody think/believe that somehow/some way Manny Sr. & Jr. don't have some take/involvement in this nonsense?
(2) Does the NCAA's governing body not realize that given the current phrasing/parameters concerning the NIL, the schools affected will not take legal action against the NCAA?

Just some random thoughts on the matter.

I think the question is, does the NCAA say that this is pay for play - even though there were no rules - and give BYU and Miami severe sanctions. Surely not, I would say. But it is a corrupt institution.
True. However, their 1st bullet point rule is schools following state law if there is any. Florida has an NIL state law that says pay-for-play is not allowed.

Specifically, the Florida law regarding pay-for-play says:

To preserve the integrity, quality, character, and amateur nature of intercollegiate athletics and to maintain a clear separation between amateur intercollegiate athletics and professional sports, such compensation may not be provided in exchange for athletic performance or attendance at a particular institution and may only be provided by a third party unaffiliated with the intercollegiate athlete’s postsecondary educational institution.NILs.

So, Miami would be investigated for violating it's state law. The sticky part is that if the NCAA say Miami violated it's state law, The question is whether a "whole team deal" is pay-for-play. I would expect litigation because the NCAA can't interpret Florida law. Miami would have to be taken to court and lose, then the NCAA could come in. Without any specific NCAA rule on NIL, they are putting the cart before the horse.

If the NCAA doesn't want this, then they should put it into it's rules. However, that could be challenged as well because the Supreme Court already ruled that players could be paid. So, the NCAA want to defer to the the states because they are really powerless regarding NILs.

Last edited:
True. However, their 1st bullet point rule is schools following state law if there is any. Florida has an NIL state law that says pay-for-play is not allowed.

Specifically, the Florida law regarding pay-for-play says:

To preserve the integrity, quality, character, and amateur nature of intercollegiate athletics and to maintain a clear separation between amateur intercollegiate athletics and professional sports, such compensation may not be provided in exchange for athletic performance or attendance at a particular institution and may only be provided by a third party unaffiliated with the intercollegiate athlete’s postsecondary educational institution.

So, Miami would be investigated for violating it's state law. The sticky part is that if the NCAA say Miami violated it's state law, I would expect litigation because the NCAA can't interpret Florida law. Miami would have to be taken to court and lose, then the NCAA could come in. Without any specific NCAA rule on NIL, they are putting the cart before the horse.
The Lambert deal doesn’t come close to violating any state law or statute. I haven’t seen the language of the deal but as others have said, players need to fulfill certain social media obligations.

Advertisement
The Lambert deal doesn’t come close to violating any state law or statute. I haven’t seen the language of the deal but as others have said, players need to fulfill certain social media obligations.
That may be true, but like anything it's subject to Interpretation. They clearly don't want team deals and I'm sure they're trying to find a way to eliminate it.

In any case, I don’t think anything would happen to Miami because this is all new and the law is pretty loose. The university may just agree not to allow this type of NIL to get the NCAA out of it's hair.

Last edited:

"... And to make things even easier, he already has offers lined up. During the recruitment process, Sarkisian and his staff reportedly pitched Ewers on NIL deals that were conditionally in place if he were to commit..."
This dude made 7 figures already from OSU and now stands to make another 7 figures - hello NCAA...Got him to reclassify, enroll early and made lots of $$$$...now, he gets to do it all over at Texas. Wow, whether he does anything as player or not, the dude and his agent(s) are smart taking advantage of the NIL!!

I would assume the school attorneys would have ensured we are acting within state law and NCAA rules?

I think the problem is that while we are most likely acting within state law, there are no clear NCAA rules. Hard to enforce rules that are not very clear. Meantime I am hearing Texas offering their olinemen 50 grand a year "scholarship" (on top of the scholarship they already have for football) and not a peep from the NCAA.

Advertisement
Go to sleep
1639407994079.jpeg

The NCAA is gonna claim they have some sort of jurisdiction over every state the same way the NFL has it over drug testing. But they shouldn’t bc they set no parameters. I’m not aware of any federal law that keeps amateurs from being paid. Isnt that just an NCAA bylaw?

And back to the “fair market value” discussion. This is what a handful of us were worried about. Market value is what someone is willing to pay. Can’t you claim fair market value is $50k a year for every lineman bc they make the team that much better? There’s no precedent for it. Who’s to say what it is or isn’t? Unless there’s a max on what a player can earn, it’s gonna get out of hand. These boosters are gonna keep upping the value if they see what Texas is doing is working.

As I said before, The NCAA is a joke.

Again, there were no set parameters around NIL b/c The NCAA’s governing body was too busy justifying why student athletes don’t & shouldn’t get paid, instead of embracing or coming up w/ an amicable plan to allow student athletes to be compensated from an institutional standpoint (i.e % of $ from jersey sales, autograph events, commercials, stipend from features in video games, magazines, etc.) They planned for none of that, then try to put together some ambiguous language to show they were still in control, someway. Again, the language was ambiguous & unclear, hence the Wild, Wild West took place between boosters & players.
The NCAA is trying to stay relevant as the CFB world transitions away from their monopoly. How cute.

Advertisement

"... And to make things even easier, he already has offers lined up. During the recruitment process, Sarkisian and his staff reportedly pitched Ewers on NIL deals that were conditionally in place if he were to commit..."
With some of the NIL money these guys are gonna get, I'd probably just retire after a couple of years of college and stick to investing. No more bodily abuse.

This is ridiculous for any and all schools to put up with. This is just the ncaa trying to keep some control over the sport that they are slowly losing. I hope we sue them for damages on this, the supreme court ruled on this matter and the ncaa needs to feel the pain if they're trying to bypass the ruling.
All of this, feels like slander or defamation or something like that.

Every time this thread jumps to the top I wish Strawley would record herself telling the NCAA to SMD during a Zoom conference. She would be absolved of all fan-ire.

suck-my-****-rachel.gif

The NCAA is gonna claim they have some sort of jurisdiction over every state the same way the NFL has it over drug testing. But they shouldn’t bc they set no parameters. I’m not aware of any federal law that keeps amateurs from being paid. Isnt that just an NCAA bylaw?

And back to the “fair market value” discussion. This is what a handful of us were worried about. Market value is what someone is willing to pay. Can’t you claim fair market value is $50k a year for every lineman bc they make the team that much better? There’s no precedent for it. Who’s to say what it is or isn’t? Unless there’s a max on what a player can earn, it’s gonna get out of hand. These boosters are gonna keep upping the value if they see what Texas is doing is working.
DeSantis is laughing at them. the NCAA is done.

Advertisement
Back