Miami in top group for Killian's Johnson

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
Killian 2015 ATH JaQuan has been in the spotlight as a top prospect since his freshman year of high school, but over the past six months he has dealt with a very serious back injury that could have been career threatening. Luckily for Johnson, it seems like the medical scare is past him for now.

“I had a back injury where it was like a bulging disk that was pinching on my nerve and I had to do therapy and rehab. I worked to get my core as strong as ever and the doctor said I was fine to play. He told me just to keep doing what I’m doing and I’ll be fine down the road and now,” said Johnson.

Johnson has played in the last two games for his team after there was talk he would miss the entire season.

“I’ve played in two games out of five this year so far. I’m feeling great physically and I can do everything I used to do. I was just a little rusty at first.”

The versatile athlete has been a threat in all three phases of the game over the course of his career, but will be limited to mostly defense this season.

“It was like I had played four years in high school in two years because I was going both ways, so my coach decided to just keep me at safety and sometimes put me at receiver a little bit.”

On the recruiting side of things, there was a recent report that came out stating Johnson had Miami as his top school, but he says that is not necessarily the case.

“I think the reporter sort of twisted my words because I never told him Miami is my leader because they’re not. I’m really neutral and it’s up for grabs and I’m just taking the experience slowly.”

At this time last year, UF led for Johnson because he was disappointed in the lack of communication with Miami. That seems to have changed.

“Miami is talking to me a lot through Facebook and I get all sorts of mail from them so they’re definitely talking to me now.”

Miami’s undefeated start through four games has the down south product excited.

“Last year when I saw them play, I thought they had the potential to do what they’re doing this year and they’ve been proving me right. It’s exciting because I haven’t seen Miami like this in a long time.”

The Killian star is impressed with Miami Head Coach Al Golden.

“Coach Golden seems like a good dude. It seems like he’s someone I would want to be around, look up to, and learn from. The way they’re playing this season shows me the way he believes in people and they’re going to keep doing it. I believe he’s a man of his word.”

Something else working in Miami’s favor is the heavy influence of South Florida talent on the roster and in the 2014 recruiting class.

“I definitely like to see Florida boys going to Miami because it’s Miami. They wasn’t recruiting like that how they’re doing this year so it’s good because we all really know each other from camps and stuff and there’s a chemistry there without us even knowing it.”

**Micheal Barrow and Paul Williams are the coaches from Miami recruiting Johnson
**Along with Miami, Johnson said that UF, FSU, South Carolina, and Clemson are in his top group

Advertisement
“Coach Golden seems like a good dude. It seems like he’s someone I would want to be around, look up to, and learn from. The way they’re playing this season shows me the way he believes in people and they’re going to keep doing it. I believe he’s a man of his word.”

30.gif

this guy should hit Johnson up

9.jpg

also the illest Dade county unis in recent memory is this

10.jpg

if you win they will come

reminds me of marcus roberson

kid who could have been got if he was recruited harder and we were winning at the time

Advertisement
Glad the kid is thinking clearer. I am getting tired of the continued inference that staffwas not recruiting So Fl last year. The difference between last and 2014 is that now the local kids are commiting instead of playing games. As we win more, more will commit, but it takes two for recruiting. Al got several huge local recruits last year, but every just remembers the divas and big mouths. Staff did not have the time to recruit for 2014 last year, that is probably why he wasn't hearing from them. Now the team is in better order and they are pulling recruits for 2016 already. Process, process, process.

Advertisement
More elite athletes at S please.

I wouldn't even call him an "elite" athlete interestingly enough. He probably runs in the 4.6 range.... He's just a great football playmaker and playmaker.[/QUOTE

Is he a safety all the way at the next level in your mind?

Yes, no doubt. Very high football IQ and ball skills. He's always around the football too. Reed-esque

Pay him to come here then

Advertisement
More elite athletes at S please.

I wouldn't even call him an "elite" athlete interestingly enough. He probably runs in the 4.6 range.... He's just a great football playmaker and playmaker.[/QUOTE

Is he a safety all the way at the next level in your mind?

Yes, no doubt. Very high football IQ and ball skills. He's always around the football too. Reed-esque

****!!!!!! Love that comparison lol

From an article on Joaquan Johnson this past week:

[video=youtube;yc249aNTJ7M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yc249aNTJ7M[/video]""I have around 15 scholarship offers right now. Alabama, LSU, Miami, South Carolina, Florida State, and Florida are some of the schools I have offers from," Johnson said.

One of the schools that have offered the 5-foot-11, 183 pound athlete leads and leads big.

"It is Miami on top and I really don't have a No. 2 school right now. My family has had season tickets to Miami for a long time, so I have been there a lot, and I have seen them play so many times.

"I visited Miami over the summer, then I was back there for the Florida game, and I really think the program is getting turned back around. It is close to home, I feel good when I am there, and UM is the school I really like."

Johnson has been on the Miami campus plenty of times and he likes it there, but he does want to see other places.

Clemson, Georgia, LSU, and South Carolina are other schools he'd like to visit this fall."

again, my dawg "prime time " Johnson has been tearing **** up from his optimist days in Richmond heights. Him and Tim Irvin were teammates.
Again, i have been following High school ball very closely for the last decade and i dont recall any high school player in Dade county (highest Division classification) making the All dade team in his Fr and Soph years- back to back. I doubt he makes it again since hes been banged up this year, but this kid is a balla - plain and simple. Must get IMO. !

Advertisement
I can't wait till signing day this year. 1 so we get to open up our presents, and 2, to see our rabid dog recruiting staff hit the trail with some actual success to sell rather than just how successful they say we will be. Its pretty amazing what Golden was able to do with sanctions looming and without any actual results to speak of. Can't even imagine how its gonna be when we start winning again. It feels too good to be a Cane right now.

We offered Johnson on Junior day this year. That was sometime in January. He obviously is going to hear from the staff more after the offer, than before when he didn't have an offer. Pretty simple.

As far as what he means by recruiting, I think he just means we didn't land the players we wanted from SoFlo. In his eyes, that means we didn't recruit the area well enough. Jmo

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Back