"Miami Hurricanes RB recruit Cody Brown could be first in a handful of additions..."

Advertisement
This article immediately made me think two things. First, Manny is willing to take portal guys now because he thinks/need to win NOW. This is a little like an NFL team trading future draft pics for players who can help now. Second, Manny must think we will not land “stars” in the 2022 class. If we were in it for several big-time players we would need the ICs for high school guys. I hope he is right and we actually win big next season. Dare I say it?

15-0
Well if I’m Manny of course you gotta win now. If not, we’re looking for another HC next season.

Flunked out LSU allegedly, couldn't qualify for admissions to UF, currently not in good academic standing in juco. That will be an emphatic NO for Cane interest in Gilbert. He would be SEC bound if he was able to.
I haven't researched Gilbert's case, but I'm blown away by guys who fail JUCO. You have to try to do that.

Advertisement
I haven't researched Gilbert's case, but I'm blown away by guys who fail JUCO. You have to try to do that.
Yeah allegedly he was so bad off academically at LSU he needed juco credits for admission into UF. Apparently he couldn’t get the juco credits either. So if no UF admission definitely no UM admission. Great player who apparently never prioritized academics.

You’d think they would’ve taken his commitment already if they wanted him bad enough. Maybe they are waiting on somebody else or the ncaa to make a rule change.

Yeah allegedly he was so bad off academically at LSU he needed juco credits for admission into UF. Apparently he couldn’t get the juco credits either. So if no UF admission definitely no UM admission. Great player who apparently never prioritized academics.
Not sure how accurate but I read he withdrew from most of his classes at LSU. That was said a number of times on their board. No classes = no grades.

Advertisement
This will be Manny’s 6th season on this staff. He knows if he loses by 30 to Bama he’s cooked. He’s gonna stack his cards.

No he’s not and kids like this one aren’t being brought in to beat Bama. He likely won’t even play.

At least Justice as coached the UNLV OL and knows what he can bring to the team.

Yup. I will take it a step further and say he must think he has the ability to contribute in a meaningful way. If he coached the kid, he likely has a relationship with him and I doubt he would bring him in to ride the bench for two years or even a depth player because he could absolutely go to a smaller school, get reps, and at least get a better shot at the league.

Not sure how accurate but I read he withdrew from most of his classes at LSU. That was said a number of times on their board. No classes = no grades.

Look, we all have to stop reading/believing canenok's breathless gossip, and use some logic.

Arik Gilbert enrolled at LSU January 18, 2020. He entered the transfer portal January 2, 2021. He played in more than 4 games in Fall 2020 (thus, no redshirt), catching 35 passes.

So let's analyze the false claims that are being made. Things like "flunking out" and "withdrawing from classes" and "JuCo bad academic standing".

AT THE MOST, Arik Gilbert took classes at LSU in Spring 2020, Summer 2020, and Fall 2020. AT THE EARLIEST, he only could have withdrawn from classes at LSU for Spring 2021. He could not have done so in the fall without losing his eligibility. The earliest that Gilbert could have "flunked out" of LSU is at the conclusion of Fall 2020.

Now, nobody is accusing Arik Gilbert of making the Dean's List. But if he had "flunked out" in Spring 2020 or Summer 2020, he could not have played football in Fall 2020. So, yeah, maybe he screwed up in Fall 2020. But one bad semester doesn't usually cause a person to "flunk out" of school, particularly a football player.

Then there is the issue of the mysterious "JuCo". So we are supposed to believe that Arik Gilbert enrolled in a Juco in, what, mid-January, and that before Spring Break he is ALREADY in "bad academic standing"? Yeah, that's a load of bullcrap, not to mention the fact that if he downshifted to a JuCo, he's going to need to get the Associates degree before he can bounce back to a 4-year Power 5 school.

Oh, and let's not forget, he is welcome to return to LSU. So he did NOT "flunk out" in the permanent sense. It is POSSIBLE that he has not been making sufficient academic progress, and maybe UiF was scared of that. But it is MORE LIKELY that the SEC rule (still in place) that requires a sit-out year for an SEC-to-SEC transfer is the reason that UiF and Gilbert parted ways.

Kid had 35 catches last year. Obviously, he wants to play in 6 months. Maybe his grades suck too, but this "flunk out" stuff is nonsense, this "JuCo" stuff is nonsense, and we just need to acknowledge the fact that the Gaytors coaches and fans LIE about the reasons they lose recruits.

Advertisement
Back