Miami Hurricanes earning “Canes” helmet stickers...

MiamiVice7

Senior
I recall some speculation about this during the summer or thereabouts, and I noticed them during the FAU game. Haven't seen this posted yet...

Miami Hurricanes football: Mark Richt now giving out helmet stickers | Canes Watch

If you’re one of the eagle-eyed viewers out there, you may have noticed the backs of Miami’s helmets look a little different this fall.

That’s because Mark Richt has a new system for honoring his players.

Players are awarded helmet stickers for on-field performance and academic prowess. The small decals are either orange or green and in the shape of a hurricane.

Miami calls them “Canes.” Richt said the system is “very similar” to what he did at Georgia, where his Bulldogs players were awarded “Bones.”

Richt explained to The Post how players earn Canes:

“Academics are green. Something good on the field is orange,” he said. “Offense, defense and special teams coaches make a criteria for why you would get one.

“Offensive line, it might be so many knockdowns, you get one. If you have a 100-yard rusher, everybody who was in the game, who was part of that, will get one. If a guy scores a touchdown, he’ll get one. Defense, you get a tackle for loss, you probably get one. Coaches will decide what deserves a ‘Cane.’”

Coaches also decide whether players keep them.

“You can lose them, too,” Richt said.

At Georgia, players earned white Bones for touchdowns, pancake blocks, etc. To earn a black Bone, the player must get an A or B on an assignment worth at least 10% of his grade in that class. Players could also earn them for community service or making the dean’s list. Richt worked with UGA’s academic advisors, as he will at Miami.

Cane-earners are praised during an “Honor Roll” segment of Sunday’s team meetings. The equipment staff affixes them to helmets before the following week’s game.

As shown in the photo above, leading rusher Mark Walton has earned more than his share. Others who had them during the FAU game include wide receiver Stacy Coley, who was praised for his downfield blocking against FAMU, and tight end David Njoku.

Advertisement
proxy.php

Advertisement
I don't like it, but it is better than THE PILLARS. Like his son on staff, this is too much like noles for my taste and shortens Mark rope. This is not reservation or kennel, this is Miami. There can be no 10 year plan unless 6 - 10 are for somewhere else.

Just for Chise "Don't fck with the helmets"

NOPE. Buy them lap dances and blowjobs for a job well done, but keep your filthy mitts off my white helmets.

I don't like it, but it is better than THE PILLARS. Like his son on staff, this is too much like noles for my taste and shortens Mark rope. This is not reservation or kennel, this is Miami. There can be no 10 year plan unless 6 - 10 are for somewhere else.

Just for Chise "Don't fck with the helmets"

I'm sure Mark Richt is shaking in his boots now that Gatorhater has shortened his rope

Cue the "Don't fck with the helmets" old maggots.

No need to call me by my government name. I'm right here.

Leave the freaking helmets alone. Unless they find a way to attach human scalps to the facemask, leave the stickers in Ms. Frizzles 2nd Grade English class.

I should keep an open mind though. I hear UGA's dog bones and OSU's clip art Buckeye are very happy with the development. In fact I recommend we ditch the U for one big Gold Star on the side of the helmet. Then the stickers can match.

Advertisement
...Unless they find a way to attach human scalps to the facemask...

A look that always makes a strong statement in any setting.

Why not go full Mad Max? Maybe spikes on shoulder pads, perhaps a Lord Humungous matching steel full face plate and cod piece.

Would go well with the weak looking Kanye West idiot baby shoe cleats.

I was hoping for cute duck tails to go back there , that matches the feathers on our jerseys

Last edited:
Saw these in the game. They will likely only be able to earn 2 rows on each side that go up 1/2 back of the helmet. The helmets will still look clean.

im old school, think we have perfect helmets without individual accomplishment stickers.

If someone wants a individual honor there's plenty of them out there that they can strive for without a silly sticker.

With that being said, if the players and recruits like them, I guess it couldn't hurt as long as they are not placed all over the helmet top where you can't even tell it's a white helmet.

Advertisement
https://www.canesinsight.com/proxy.php?url=http%3A%2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-32lQx3pJkNI%2FUETLwsH8TWI%2FAAAAAAAACx8%2FdehqSFoPTQo%2Fs1600%2F****-kids-GET-OFF-MY-LAWN.jpg

Advertisement
Richt is leader, a real one, and if he feels ots keeps the players motivated, am all for it. We have old traditions, and we can also male news ones

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

Stickers… Black cleats… Pants above the knees… Green helmets... i don't care!
******* WIN!!!!!

im old school, think we have perfect helmets without individual accomplishment stickers.

If someone wants a individual honor there's plenty of them out there that they can strive for without a silly sticker.

With that being said, if the players and recruits like them, I guess it couldn't hurt as long as they are not placed all over the helmet top where you can't even tell it's a white helmet.

It's being done for the players and is great motivation for them. It's not for you.

Advertisement
Back