Miami Hurricane that was most significant for our start to greatness?

Advertisement
Team sport: It's always the RIGHT combination, otherwise the Danny Boy led Dolphins would have been to more than one Super Bowl.

While Howard gets all the credit, it was Lou Saban that got it started with his recruiting plan which was to build with local recruits
and try to cherry pick the rest of the state. Before Saban, the U had five/six really talented division 1 players and the rest of the members
were low level division one or high division two players. It was Saban that rounded out the roster to a solid division 1 level
Saban built the foundation for the 80's success. Just like Davis in 2000's.

I think he meant Chris "I'm gonna make business cards that say Florida State quarterback" Rix.
Yeah, he couldnt understand why nobody got the business card thing in Tallahassee. He said, I guess things are more corporate back in California."

Now what the **** does that mean? He was one weird guy.

Advertisement
While Howard gets all the credit, it was Lou Saban that got it started with his recruiting plan which was to build with local recruits
and try to cherry pick the rest of the state. Before Saban, the U had five/six really talented division 1 players and the rest of the members
were low level division one or high division two players. It was Saban that rounded out the roster to a solid division 1 level
Anderson was a big time get and they had a big win against the Gates.

Advertisement
B
Kenny Calhoun
Brodsky's 80yd TD against #1 Penn St in 81 was equally as important....Even if Nebraska makes the 2pt conversion, there still was a min left...and Kosar was killing their secondary...not to mention we had arguably the best Long distance FG Kicker in the NCAA....with any decent return...we'd only need 35-40yds...and Brown, Shakes and Dennison were shredding them.

It was Saban who got us on probation, which nullified any chance of a NC in 81, besides the BS calls against us vs Miss & Texas that yr...So No, Howard deserves the credit...

Advertisement
It was Saban who got us on probation, which nullified any chance of a NC in 81, besides the BS calls against us vs Miss & Texas that yr...So No, Howard deserves the credit...
Not into conspiracy theories, but it's very interesting that there is absolutely zero tape of TX or MSU. Games. Not even highlights. I remember the Miami aannouncers going nuts over the horrendously bad calls against us.

Not into conspiracy theories, but it's very interesting that there is absolutely zero tape of TX or MSU. Games. Not even highlights. I remember the Miami aannouncers going nuts over the horrendously bad calls against us.
@GladeCane ....one of my truly best friends is Tony Fitzpatrick (starting nosetackle on the 81-83 UM teams)
He said the Bad calls...and Non calls make the BS PI call against OSU look mundane....He said truly horrific...

Advertisement
Bellamy was too early but was a major factor as he was the first Black player in 1966. Breaking the color barrier was huge.

How can you be "too early" to break the color barrier? Not only was he an absolute monster, if he doesn't break the color barrier at Miami, someone else has to, or we don't have a very significant majority of all the great players we've had.

B

Brodsky's 80yd TD against #1 Penn St in 81 was equally as important....Even if Nebraska makes the 2pt conversion, there still was a min left...and Kosar was killing their secondary...not to mention we had arguably the best Long distance FG Kicker in the NCAA....with any decent return...we'd only need 35-40yds...and Brown, Shakes and Dennison were shredding them.
That 81 Penn State game was the game that cemented my Cane fan status. I was casually watching CFB, but there was something I liked about Miami (and cousins that went to FSU and UF, and I wanted to be a contrarian).

That 81 Penn State game was the game that cemented my Cane fan status. I was casually watching CFB, but there was something I liked about Miami (and cousins that went to FSU and UF, and I wanted to be a contrarian).
My ticket to that game was a B-Day gift from a fellow Chef (I just got out of Culinary School 5 months earlier) drove in the rain from Captiva down Alligator Alley to the OB....

B

It took Bernie 28 seconds to drive the field against Florida that fall so throwing the ball against Nebraska would not have been a problem. He had 48 seconds to work. One correction, our kicker that year was Flea Davis. We needed get pretty close. Danny was gone.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back