Miami Hurricane that was most significant for our start to greatness?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Ray Bellamy, Lester Williams, Jim Kelly.

*Jerome Brown. He has nothing to do with the start but I thought i should mention.

Advertisement
While Howard gets all the credit, it was Lou Saban that got it started with his recruiting plan which was to build with local recruits
and try to cherry pick the rest of the state. Before Saban, the U had five/six really talented division 1 players and the rest of the members
were low level division one or high division two players. It was Saban that rounded out the roster to a solid division 1 level

Lester Williams.
Lester for two reasons. He was the first big time national recruit to stay home. And the strength of Miami in 1980 and 1981 was our defense and he was the anchor. Trust me I love Jim, but he was a good but not spectacular college quarterback. The most underrated defense in Miami history in my opinion is that 1981 team. If we didn't get jobbed at Texas and at Mississippi State, we would and should have finished undefeated. Those two games were travesties. By November, we beat anybody in the country. Lou Saban never gets enough credit for turning the ship around, and setting up Howard to do his thing.

Advertisement
Greatness: Schnelly

Worseness:
1620852804051.png

Advertisement
Lester for two reasons. He was the first big time national recruit to stay home. And the strength of Miami in 1980 and 1981 was our defense and he was the anchor. Trust me I love Jim, but he was a good but not spectacular college quarterback. The most underrated defense in Miami history in my opinion is that 1981 team. If we didn't get jobbed at Texas and at Mississippi State, we would and should have finished undefeated. Those two games were travesties. By November, we beat anybody in the country. Lou Saban never gets enough credit for turning the ship around, and setting up Howard to do his thing.
Kelly went #14 in the draft, so he must have done something right. Thing is, he was playing in an offensive system that was not exactly made to light things up. It was a different era back then.

Now I agree with you about the D in 80-81. They were fantastic.

Kelly went #14 in the draft, so he must have done something right. Thing is, he was playing in an offensive system that was not exactly made to light things up. It was a different era back then.

Now I agree with you about the D in 80-81. They were fantastic.
Yes, Kim Helton ran a more conservative system, and yes, Jim was throwing to Larry Brodsky and Mike Rodrigue. And yes, corners could maul wide receivers. Different era. I think Jim really benefitted from Mouse Davis and June Jones in the USFL.

Again, this was about Lester, who I actually played against in high school. Man among boys and the 77 Chiefs squad was awfully darn good.

Advertisement
Back