Miami Herald: Talent

CaneCounty

Senior
Brad Kaaya celebrates a touchdown during against North Carolina at Sun Life Stadium on Nov. 1, 2014 in Miami Gardens, Florida.
Brad Kaaya celebrates a touchdown during against North Carolina at Sun Life Stadium on Nov. 1, 2014 in Miami Gardens, Florida. MIKE EHRMANN GETTY IMAGES
Story
Comments
Miami Hurricanes freshmen want the program’s run of mediocrity to end with them.

January will mark 13 years since UM last played for a national championship, and 11 since it last went to a major bowl game.

Mediocrity has become the norm in Coral Gables. Let’s count the ways:

▪ Counting Miami’s 6-5 record heading into Saturday night’s regular-season finale against Pittsburgh (5-6) at Sun Life Stadium, the Canes have lost at least four games every season since 2006. That happened only three times at UM from 1983 to 2003.

Related

Hurricanes seniors expect ‘emotional’ home finale vs. Pittsburgh
Eye on The U Blog
▪ Miami hasn’t had a double-digit win season since 2003. Meanwhile, rivals Florida and Florida State have had four double-digit-win seasons each and won three national titles combined.

▪ Since joining the Atlantic Coast Conference in 2004, the Canes are 81-55 overall. That’s fewer wins than six other teams in the conference: Virginia Tech (104), Florida State (103), Clemson (93), Louisville (92), Georgia Tech (87) and Boston College (82). Meanwhile, perennial also-rans Wake Forest and Duke have each won division titles while the Hurricanes simply tied for one and had to vacate it because of impending NCAA sanctions.

When will UM become a real threat for a national title again? Al Golden’s youngest Canes have talked about that.

“Me, Brad [Kaaya], Chad [Thomas], Braxton [Berrios], we talk about [national championships] a lot, saying that next year we have to turn things around, do what we’ve got to do to get to that spot,” said freshman running back Joe Yearby, who went 53-5 and won three state titles in four years at Miami Central High.

“We’ve got to shoot higher than [the ACC Coastal Division title],” Yearby continued. “We’ve got to take everything day by day to accomplish everything we have to do. But we believe we can be champs again. That’s still very much a goal.”

Which team are you more disappointed in this season – the Dolphins or Hurricanes?
Dolphins
Hurricanes
Vote
View Results
Thomas, a five-star recruit who won a national title at Miami’s Booker T. Washington last season, has said in the past that he expects the Canes to win a national title while he’s here — and that he hates losing.

Before Miami’s 30-13 loss at Virginia last Saturday, Berrios said the Hurricanes should win the remainder of their games. He said UM’s three-game win streak following its loss to Georgia Tech — and close loss to Florida State — was a sign the Canes are getting closer to what they want to be.

Kaaya, UM’s brightest young star, spoke this week about what it has been like losing five games. Kaaya went 26-4 and won a state title in high school in California.

“I see it all as a part of the whole progression,” Kaaya said. “It’s all a test; every single game is a test. I don’t know if God is testing me or something like that, but I take it all as a trial or a test just to get better.

“College football, the way it’s going now, it’s almost like every game is a playoff. You win one game two weeks ago, and the next game you lose, everyone is [ticked] off so you’ve just got to keep playing. It’s week-by-week warriors.”

Golden this week said he doesn’t “think anybody will ever get used to losing” at UM and that he’s glad his young players are talking about winning national titles.

“Nobody likes to lose, nobody wants to lose,” he said. “Saying that is one thing. The other thing is addressing the things we need to address individually and collectively, charting a course and getting it fixed in the time span we have.

“I want them to be winners. I want them to be champions. I want them to scratch, claw and compete. Joe Yearby is one of those guys that I’m glad he feels like that because when he practices it looks like that. We want everybody in the organization to think like that.”

Restocking the roster with the kind of talent it once had hasn’t been easy. UM had 10 first-round picks and 18 top-100 picks on the last team that played in the Orange Bowl (drafted between 2004-07).

Randy Shannon coached Miami’s last first-round pick, safety Kenny Phillips, in 2008. Shannon had nine players drafted with top-100 picks during his tenure and another four taken in 2012 that he recruited to the program.

Golden had four top-100 picks that were Shannon recruits his first year at Miami (Olivier Vernon, Sean Spence, Lamar Miller, Travis Benjamin) but has had just one other top-100 pick (Brandon Linder) during his tenure.

That could change next May. Scouts believe UM could have as many as five players (Ereck Flowers, Duke Johnson, Denzel Perryman, Phillip Dorsett and Clive Walford) taken among the first 100 picks if Johnson and Flowers leave school early.

NFLDraftScout.com listed four Hurricanes as top-100 picks this week (Dorsett not among them). Only Florida State (10) and Oregon (5) have more than that. UM is tied for the third-most with Louisville, Washington, Alabama and Baylor. Only Washington has as many losses as UM. The other teams are all ranked in the Top25.

“Miami has dynamic NFL talent, and everybody can see it,” said Rob Rang, a writer for NFLDraftScout.com. “They also have a very talented but inexperienced freshman quarterback. To me, they’ve just had some trouble late in games they could have won. That’s been the difference.”

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/acc/university-of-miami/article4174134.html#storylink=cpy

Advertisement
The common theme is the inept coaching. Comparing any team, not just this one. Any team to our old teams is simply un fair. We have consistently had similar talent to not only teams we compete against but to the teams winning titles every season, whether conference or national titles. Same old story. Fans of the coaches try to tell us we have no talent, the draft tells us otherwise. Its simply frustrating that the school persist with this half *** strategy when we could go all out with someone who is pretty much a home run hire.....and no it doesn't necessarily mean a harm and a leg. Just the right terms.

To be honest its easy math... Just get a bunch of down south florida dudes and dominate...

Advertisement
I thought it was gonna be Barry Jackson, but at least I got it half right saying one of the local writers would rip off the thread. Barry Jackson did it with the recruiting class rankings thread.

Dammit man I feel for Chad Thomas. At least the offensive players have a chance to shine. Thomas is going to be stuck in the frog stance until Golden is fired.

Hopefully he gets 2 years of proper coaching.

Common theme under golden, freshman come into the program talking about winning championships and bringing miami back to prominence, 3 to 4 years later those same players are beaten down and frustrated because their coaches have failed them and not given them the necessities to win.

#FireAlGolden - it's the first step to getting this program back to its place

Advertisement
Chad Thomas will become the Black Chickillo

They already wasted one year. Only 3 left. Got absolutely nothing out of a 5 star mega talent other than some patty cake. He'll be bloated up next year wrestling with two OL on every play.

Manny reads the boards and can't stand Golden.

If he really hates him he could do a much better job trashing him. He's copying our threads and leaving out all the good info. I only read his tripe when it's posted here, but I'd never be able to tell he hates Folden by his weak articles.

Advertisement

They already wasted one year. Only 3 left. Got absolutely nothing out of a 5 star mega talent other than some patty cake. He'll be bloated up next year wrestling with two OL on every play.

Yup. Meanwhile, other highly rated 5 star DEs, Myles Garrett and Lorenzo Carter were able to have big impacts in the SEC.

Chad Thomas is sitting on his heals trying to bullrush college OL. ******* waste.

Yup. Meanwhile, other highly rated 5 star DEs, Myles Garrett and Lorenzo Carter were able to have big impacts in the SEC.

Chad Thomas is sitting on his heals trying to bullrush college OL. ******* waste.

Exactly. Those guys are tearing it up in a better conference also playing on poor defenses. Our mega talent just completely wasted a valuable year of eligibility.

What is his stat line for the season? 6 tackles 0 sacks?

Chad Thomas stats: 6 tackles, 0 sacks
Myles Garret stats: 52 tackles, 11 sacks
Lorenzo Carter stats: 25 tackles, 3.5 sacks

Advertisement
Chad Thomas stats: 6 tackles, 0 sacks
Myles Garret stats: 52 tackles, 11 sacks
Lorenzo Carter stats: 25 tackles, 3.5 sacks

Ouch. Those 3 lines tell you everything you need to know about what Folden is doing here. That's the kind of **** dummies like Manny should be writing about.

Then, the nerds in the recruiting board wonder why we no defensive recruits want to come to UM anymore.

Thomas would've been better off at literally any school other than Miami. I truly mean that.

Advertisement
Back