Miami Herald Barry Jackson 8/1 link on Miami Offensive Line

One thing that stuck out for me that I don't think TB realized it when he said it...talking about moving St. Louis to LT and how solid he is at tackle. Then going right to Donaldson saying he hopes he can do well at RT because we weren't very good there last year.

Hey Coach Brown. Who played RT last season?

Advertisement
One thing that stuck out for me that I don't think TB realized it when he said it...talking about moving St. Louis to LT and how solid he is at tackle. Then going right to Donaldson saying he hopes he can do well at RT because we weren't very good there last year.

He’s saying who we had there before which is referring to who the camp opened with at the beginning at rigth tackle who was George brown who was bad in the spring early on

Coach Searels is also the coach that has proven the least. He should be fired if the OL is the same as last season.

Advertisement
Coach Searels is also the coach that has proven the least. He should be fired if the OL is the same as last season.
You realize that was the best oline performance we had in a long time right? When was the last time we were able to dominate a top 3 in the country like Notre Dame largely due to the ground game? Uga didn’t even do that. The oline blocked well enough vs Wisconsin to win who had the #2 defense in the country too

I think the OL will end up being better but there will be some rough spots along the way. Looking at the rooster its clear to me that this unit still needs an influx of high end talent. Tarquin and Neal would be a phenomenal haul at tackle but a 3rd tackle in this class certainly wouldn't hurt. Wright would be ideal but that seems a bit far fetched at this point. Evan Neal is key. He is the very definition of "Must Get" .

I actually think our OL will be strength. It was better last year then it had been in years and I expect an improvement over that this season.

In evaluating Searles, it crazy how people forget how absurdely bad Kehoe's OL was in 2015. The OL got better in 2016 and got better in 2017. OL recruiting has also been pretty good, especially given the lack of local talent.

That being said, this is a huge year for Searles. He has to recruit a top-level OT to replace St Louis, and the OL play has to continue to get better. No excuses for either

Advertisement
You realize that was the best oline performance we had in a long time right? When was the last time we were able to dominate a top 3 in the country like Notre Dame largely due to the ground game? Uga didn’t even do that. The oline blocked well enough vs Wisconsin to win who had the #2 defense in the country too

Run blocking in running down and distances was pathetic last year. We could run from the spread and passing downs only. Short yardage and goal line was even worse. It was bad and there is no sugar coating it.

ND wasn't a top 3 team in terms of rushing defense though. You are using a ranking that has very little to do with actual defensive rushing statistics. UGA didn't rush against ND as well as UM but they still averaged 4.3 yards a carry on 43 attempts in their game and that was on the road. It's okay to be critical of the offensive line because they are statistically one of the weaker units on the team. If the offensive line and QB play doesn't drastically improve, no one here should expect to beat Clemson or Alabama.

On a positive note, I am surprised that no one has mentioned that it seems Scaife is living up to the hype and Campbell is looking like a potential starting tackle in the future. With the assumption that TB isn't blowing smoke, that is very good news.

ND wasn't a top 3 team in terms of rushing defense though. You are using a ranking that has very little to do with actual defensive rushing statistics. UGA didn't rush against ND as well as UM but they still averaged 4.3 yards a carry on 43 attempts in their game and that was on the road. It's okay to be critical of the offensive line because they are statistically one of the weaker units on the team. If the offensive line and QB play doesn't drastically improve, no one here should expect to beat Clemson or Alabama.

On a positive note, I am surprised that no one has mentioned that it seems Scaife is living up to the hype and Campbell is looking like a potential starting tackle in the future. With the assumption that TB isn't blowing smoke, that is very good news.

I never Said they were top 3 in rushing defense just top 3 team overall which they were. We haven’t seen Miami beat a team that bad that was that good since what? 05 va tech that was ranked #5 in the country?

We were up 27-0 before Travis Homer broke 5 yards rushing. Most of his yards came in garbage time...which was the whole 2nd half. We got most of our rushing yards from QB runs, whether Rosier on the Read Draw on passing downs, or DeeJay out of the wildcat.

There's no getting around the fact that on traditional running down and distances we were just horrible. And it's gonna be unpopular, but even though the o-line was rarely able to generate any push in those situations, Homer has a tendency to hit the hole with his head down and run straight into the first tackler. Even when there is an LB plugging the hole, Homer runs right to him. It makes the job of run blockers that much harder when you have to make a hole in the D-line, and clear out the 2nd level to gain yards. Almost all of our runs last year were <2 yards or >15. There was never a time when we could just impose our will and gash teams for 5 to 7 yards.

Advertisement
Run blocking in running down and distances was pathetic last year. We could run from the spread and passing downs only. Short yardage and goal line was even worse. It was bad and there is no sugar coating it.
This.

I remember Richt saying last August that the OL couldn't block and we didn't have a goalline offense because of it. It was a problem then, it was a problem all season long, and reports are that it was a problem in spring camp.

Either the recruiting is off, or the development is lacking. Either way, it falls on Searles and needs to be fixed immediately. Reminds me of this:

Either you're too stupid, or you're in on it. Either way, you're outta here!

We were up 27-0 before Travis Homer broke 5 yards rushing. Most of his yards came in garbage time...which was the whole 2nd half. We got most of our rushing yards from QB runs, whether Rosier on the Read Draw on passing downs, or DeeJay out of the wildcat.

There's no getting around the fact that on traditional running down and distances we were just horrible. And it's gonna be unpopular, but even though the o-line was rarely able to generate any push in those situations, Homer has a tendency to hit the hole with his head down and run straight into the first tackler. Even when there is an LB plugging the hole, Homer runs right to him. It makes the job of run blockers that much harder when you have to make a hole in the D-line, and clear out the 2nd level to gain yards. Almost all of our runs last year were <2 yards or >15. There was never a time when we could just impose our will and gash teams for 5 to 7 yards.

I just recall too many times on 3rd and short and goal-to-go situations where our Oline simply couldn't create a good enough push to punch the ball through. That to me is one good sign of a solid Oline. Unless Im wrong, someone please show me some numbers that disprove my statement

But I will say this, I do think with most of the Golden Section 8's gone(projects) we do have better guys upfront than in years past. But guys who have come in recent recruiting classes will have to live up to the billing they came up with. We need a guy or two to really make a move

I just recall too many times on 3rd and short and goal-to-go situations where our Oline simply couldn't create a good enough push to punch the ball through. That to me is one good sign of a solid Oline. Unless Im wrong, someone please show me some numbers that disprove my statement

But I will say this, I do think with most of the Golden Section 8's gone(projects) we do have better guys upfront than in years past. But guys who have come in recent recruiting classes will have to live up to the billing they came up with. We need a guy or two to really make a move
Oh I'm confident that we'll be better, but by how much. I'd also like to see Homer pick his eyes up a bit more when he hits the hole. Homer is pretty **** awesome, though, so that's just nitpicking.

Advertisement

I think it implied the opposite. We may see a downgrade from what we saw last year, but Donaldson's an upgrade at RT to our current alternatives.

This entire situation concerns me more than any other area on the team - including QB.

Advertisement
Back