Miami Football - FINALLY Ahead of the Curve

He was also a production assistant at ESPN so he understands the value of entertainment branding And marketing.
He’s going to have a big impact in recruiting

Advertisement
Great write up.
To add, on to the "spread coast", it's exactly the same concept as the west coast, but without much use of a fullback but mostly with H-Backs and TEs used to spread the field and exploit the defensive weaknesses, especially on the middle and in the seams. I.E. the Andy Reid/Dougie P system.
That offense is so exciting and versatile. Can't wait.

I think we are REALLY going to shock the Gatah next August.

It's the New Movement!!

Portal Power "U"!!
It feels good and POSITIVE to see the moves being made from inside the new regime, NOW the production on the field and results will bring this full circle.

Advertisement
Embracing the portal is huge and really the first time in recent memory that it’s felt like we are ahead of the curve. Very good observation there. Items 2 and 3 it seems like a stretch to suggest we’re innovating there as much as perhaps (hopefully) catching up to 2019.

We've talked - for decades it seems - about how woefully reactive and slow to adapt the Miami football team has been, not just in terms of on-field coaching adjustments but virtually every aspect of the program from facilities to recruiting to coaching salaries to everything in between. It's nice to finally see us start to not only catch up, but be genuinely proactive about where college football is headed:

1) Embracing the Portal. This is the new recruiting, folks. Graduate transfers, "free agency," etc. As college football starts to resemble college basketball more and more, it can't be overstated how important it is for Miami to continue to step up here. This isn't just a stop-gap, isolated fad to fill roster holes - this is where college football is heading, and what better place for a blue-chip player to finish out his career than in South Florida? Martell, Bolden, Osborn, Kennedy, Martin, potentially Nnoruka from UCLA, and anyone else we can get our hands on (cue everyone.gif) - Manny looks be very tuned-in to this trend and what an advantage that has been so far!

2) The Enos hire. I know I know "but he's pro-style bro!" Hopefully some of the more in-depth threads from Lance and Roman have quieted some of the initial fears about how (potentially) innovative and forward-thinking this hire was, not just schematically but philosophically too. The most glaring weakness on this team since the early 2000s has been the QB position, so Manny goes out and hires arguably the best QB coach and one of the brightest minds in football, who also happens to create an entire offense around our personnel, dubbed "Spread Coast." MODERN NFL concepts - remember "pro-style" in 2019 means something waaay different from what it meant 20 years ago - combined with elements of championship-level college spread offense. Pretty freakin' progressive, IMO.

3) Branding. Manny is a politician's son. Manny knows how to work a brand and talk the talk as well or better than anyone. For too long, Miami has tried unsuccessfully to whitewash its image in a vain attempt to bury the "bad boy" image of yesteryear. We've largely ignored social media, which I feel is a big mistake. Part of a head coach's job is to create buzz around a program and within the last few weeks I don't think there's any more buzz-worthy team than the University of Miami. Of course, nothing creates more buzz than winning but in the offseason, talk is all we have. For the first time in a long time, the U feels "fun" again.

Of course we understand that all of this goes away the moment we step onto the field in August and is meaningless unless it leads to actual wins. That said, there's a lot to like about the way Manny and Co. have handled their first weeks in office. It's great to be.

I couldn't agree with you more! renewed my season tickets and got the camping world tickets last night, the hype is real!!!!

Embracing the portal is huge and really the first time in recent memory that it’s felt like we are ahead of the curve. Very good observation there. Items 2 and 3 it seems like a stretch to suggest we’re innovating there as much as perhaps (hopefully) catching up to 2019.

Agree. At the very least it's exciting to not feel so woefully behind lol.

I agree as well w OP, and for those familiar with leadership training, what Manny has done so far is textbook, e.g. design and implement a 100 day plan, articulate your vision and strategy, set expectations high, build your team w personnel as good or better than yourself, be seen and meet as many influential people as possible, work your *** off, get some early symbolic wins, etc.

The icing on the cake would be some signing day positive surprises. Then, it's get to work and translate the plan into results on the field in year 1.

Advertisement
You cant take the bad, *******, and borderline thug out of Miami. The PROGRAM WAS BUILT THAT WAY!!! Coaches have come in for years and have tried to sensor that to make people like us. WHO CARES WHO LIKES US???

Wonder what fans will do it this team only wins 8-9 wins next season.have the same excitement now or revert back to wanting banners flown.

Wonder what fans will do it this team only wins 8-9 wins next season.have the same excitement now or revert back to wanting banners flown.

I honestly think we'll take a step or two back on D. Offense should be better. I'm not sitting here predicting 14-0 but I think 9 wins should be our floor next year, even with the question marks.

This post was mainly about the new buzz surrounding this program during the off-season. We still have to prove it in August.

But, but, but this can't be true! @WhatTheHell said his numbers from Central Michigan and Arkansas prove he is absolute trash and that he has no intention or ability to modernize the offense. Smh

My proof that he doesn’t produce top offenses and doesn’t run modern spread: 8 years of on the field results.

Your proof that he’s going to be an elite OC with a modern offense: a quote from his 1 minute interview.

Brilliant.

Advertisement
OP is one of the best on here, but none of that **** matter if we come out and get our **** pushed in on Aug 31st...

Manny better back it up or we'll be an even bigger laughing stock

OP is one of the best on here, but none of that ** matter if we come out and get our ** pushed in on Aug 31st...

Manny better back it up or we'll be an even bigger laughing stock

I figured that was assumed lol. That's why that little vid of him telling recruits "come to Miami or get your *** kicked by Miami" made me cringe just a little bit. Don't get me wrong I LOVE the attitude, but man, that took some balls to say that to kids having just gone 7-6 lol. (Yes I know he wasn't the head coach for 7-6 but still...) We need to win. I believe that Manny is setting the stage at least.

Advertisement
Back