Miami Football - FINALLY Ahead of the Curve

ghost2

Retired staff
Premium
We've talked - for decades it seems - about how woefully reactive and slow to adapt the Miami football team has been, not just in terms of on-field coaching adjustments but virtually every aspect of the program from facilities to recruiting to coaching salaries to everything in between. It's nice to finally see us start to not only catch up, but be genuinely proactive about where college football is headed:

1) Embracing the Portal. This is the new recruiting, folks. Graduate transfers, "free agency," etc. As college football starts to resemble college basketball more and more, it can't be overstated how important it is for Miami to continue to step up here. This isn't just a stop-gap, isolated fad to fill roster holes - this is where college football is heading, and what better place for a blue-chip player to finish out his career than in South Florida? Martell, Bolden, Osborn, Kennedy, Martin, potentially Nnoruka from UCLA, and anyone else we can get our hands on (cue everyone.gif) - Manny looks be very tuned-in to this trend and what an advantage that has been so far!

2) The Enos hire. I know I know "but he's pro-style bro!" Hopefully some of the more in-depth threads from Lance and Roman have quieted some of the initial fears about how (potentially) innovative and forward-thinking this hire was, not just schematically but philosophically too. The most glaring weakness on this team since the early 2000s has been the QB position, so Manny goes out and hires arguably the best QB coach and one of the brightest minds in football, who also happens to create an entire offense around our personnel, dubbed "Spread Coast." MODERN NFL concepts - remember "pro-style" in 2019 means something waaay different from what it meant 20 years ago - combined with elements of championship-level college spread offense. Pretty freakin' progressive, IMO.

3) Branding. Manny is a politician's son. Manny knows how to work a brand and talk the talk as well or better than anyone. For too long, Miami has tried unsuccessfully to whitewash its image in a vain attempt to bury the "bad boy" image of yesteryear. We've largely ignored social media, which I feel is a big mistake. Part of a head coach's job is to create buzz around a program and within the last few weeks I don't think there's any more buzz-worthy team than the University of Miami. Of course, nothing creates more buzz than winning but in the offseason, talk is all we have. For the first time in a long time, the U feels "fun" again.

Of course we understand that all of this goes away the moment we step onto the field in August and is meaningless unless it leads to actual wins. That said, there's a lot to like about the way Manny and Co. have handled their first weeks in office. It's great to be.

Advertisement
Well said. Since Manny was hired it's almost been an awkward feeling being a Miami Hurricane. We've been sleepwalking so long this shot of adrenaline took a bit of getting used to. It's us against the world again. Manny doesn't seem to care how it's done as long as it gets done. It is in fact fun to be a 'Cane again.

Agreed. #3 actually is the biggest intangible. These kids/recruits live on social media and are absolutely moved by the hype.

Great write up.
To add, on to the "spread coast", it's exactly the same concept as the west coast, but without much use of a fullback but mostly with H-Backs and TEs used to spread the field and exploit the defensive weaknesses, especially on the middle and in the seams. I.E. the Andy Reid/Dougie P system.
That offense is so exciting and versatile. Can't wait.

Advertisement
Great insight and totally agree with you about the portal. Embrace grad transfers and welcome them to paradise for a year or two.

Great write up.
To add, on to the "spread coast", it's exactly the same concept as the west coast, but without much use of a fullback but mostly with H-Backs and TEs used to spread the field and exploit the defensive weaknesses, especially on the middle and in the seams. I.E. the Andy Reid/Dougie P system.

So what your saying is we are going to use the whole field again? **** yeah!

#3 is my favorite. We should be ****ed off for greatness and embrace that. I knew it the second Manny expunged the offensive staff and said "Miami should never come next to last in anything."

Advertisement
Haven't had a good night sleep since Manolo took over. Keep getting up looking for updates. Love the TNM theme. He remembers what it was like back in the day and is capitalizing it with Social Media. All Bout the U!!!

So what your saying is we are going to use the whole field again? **** yeah!
tenor (76).gif
tenor (75).gif
tenor (74).gif

1) Basically. The best thing is we're getting guys who have shown they can play an a good to above-average level. I just hope the portal does't result in lazy recruiting from the HS standpoint but it looks like a great option if we get burned on Early NSD.

2) At first I was underwhelmed with the Enos hire because at quick glace he ran a ground a pound type of game at CMU and Arkansas but as I started to watch more and more film on the guy I notice he did A LOT, and I mean A LOT, of the things we've been begging for over the last couple of years. Not only that but he uses the middle of the field often something we haven't down in 3 years. What also made me feel a lot better about the hire was Enos mentioning this is a "Spread Coast" offenses which is the best way to describe Alabama's offense last year.

3) Manny has been generating buzz every day since he's been the HC it seems like. I don't know how much is working for recruits but I know it's definitely hyping the fans up for this season one would think.

Advertisement
Manny's "The New Miami" slogan is so smart. This guy is media savvy and you can tell his dad was a politician.

Ending his first team meeting with it, now a hashtag in combination with his tweets... smart guy

Great write up.
But, but, but this can't be true! @WhatTheHell said his numbers from Central Michigan and Arkansas prove he is absolute trash and that he has no intention or ability to modernize the offense. Smh

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back