R Washington
Ch Williams
Moss
Balom
Chase Smith
Z Nelson
Chris Washington
Sagapolu/Denis (Used Transfer Already)

That's 13, somewhere in that range sounds right.
Doubt it on Parrish. Cane or NFL (practice squad type). Also, I know the Horton family and last I heard he’s gonna stick around. If Robby is on the list then add Bobby to it. Wouldn’t be surprised. I’d also add Chaney, Chris Johnson, and Citizen.

Advertisement
I figured on Brashard and hinted at Damari as a result of Davonte.

A few schools already poking around ready to take Davonte.. worst corner I’ve seen at Miami in a decade at least… just to get Damari.
I just counted in my head a potential 16-18. I guess it’s not that far-fetched when you really think of it, but man it’s still a lot of players to replace in a key third year. You want some sort of continuity, we’re not even talking players leaving to the NFL draft early or graduates.

25 portal entries implies that you’re losing roughly 50% (or more) of your scholarship players in some capacity

15, ok.

20, that’s a lot but depends who they are

25 is alarming, how do you replace that many with quality? It’s not like the HS class is some star-studded Top 5 class.

What about culture change? That’s a wild number in Year 2 like OBM said. Guess we just have to wait and see, I pray we see a lower number than that.

Unless we plan on breaking the bank in the portal and buying a whole new two deep.
Texas had 20 transfers last year, year 2. Their roster was probably better off than ours too. I think the number is higher when you factor in the amount of kids still in school from extra Covid year

I just counted in my head a potential 16-18. I guess it’s not that far-fetched when you really think of it, but man it’s still a lot of players to replace in a key third year. You want some sort of continuity, we’re not even talking players leaving to the NFL draft early or graduates.

25 portal entries implied that you’re losing roughly 50% (or more) of your scholarship players in some capacity
Yep. 25 entries, plus NFL, plus seniors

I call BS. I think I’d lean towards 15 total through spring. 20 absolute max.

I expect 8-10 pre bowl, 5-8 after, and a few more post spring.

Advertisement
We have 6 real seniors with no years left.
We have a few nfl guys.
We plan to sign 25-28 HS kids.
Portal out is how you get to 85. Likely needs to be 20-26 depending on nfl.

Canes Talk Recruiting November 26, 2023

Predictions

• Big Time player (context was 5*) announcing as soon as this week for Miami
  • 8-10 will portal out before the bowl game
  • 3-5 will portal out after the bowl game
  • 4-6 will portal out after spring
  • 20-25 players are going to leave the program by the end of August. Some guys will hold on until the spring game.

Comments

• Bailey appears to the only QB flip candidate (assuming Miami aggressively goes after him)
  • Brashard is at the top of the list of teams back channeling our players to hit the portal.

Last edited:
Texas had 20 transfers last year, year 2. Their roster was probably better off than ours too. I think the number is higher when you factor in the amount of kids still in school from extra Covid year
Yea 15-18 dead weight or angry playing time players leave the program. The other 5-8 players will leave in the spring due to being passed up on the depth chart. Its not a crazy number as people are making it out to be.

QB: TVD, Jacurri
RB: Chaney, Parish
WR: Brashard Smith, Isaiah Horton, Michael Redding, Shemar Kirk, Frank Larson (think 1 more year)
TE: Elijah Arroyo, Jaleel Skinner
Ol: Jonathan Denis, Zion Nelson, Logan Sagapolu, Chris Washington

That's 15 right there on offense, that I wouldn't be surprised to see leave. Don't expect 4 WRs to leave though tbh.

EDGE: Chantz Williams, Jahfarhi Harvey, Cyrus Moss?
Dt: Burroughs
LB: Flagg, Keontra Smith (think 1 more yr), Chase Smith, Ragone
DB: Davante Brown, Recovery Couch (if he gets another yr).

That's another 10.

That would make 25, almost entirely depth guys that honestly maybe like a handful are guys you'd really want to keep? While many are solid depth, you can add that back in the portal. I think we are just in a new CFB world where it's easier to add new depth guys via the portal cause you can sell them on competing for starting jobs. Whereas with current guys they already know where they are in the pecking order.

Out of all those guys, Brashard Smith, Elijah Arroyo, one of the DEs, and Horton are really the only guys id care to keep. Maybe Davante Brown too and hope this year him drawing a PI every ******* play was a fluke?...

Advertisement
Yea 15-18 dead weight or angry playing time players leave the program. The other 5-8 players will leave in the spring due to being passed up on the depth chart. Its not a crazy number as people are making it out to be.
Yehp. And to be brutally honest. There’s only 15-20 players max I truly worry about loosing. Kinda the sad reality of “CFB free agency”

25 portal entries implies that you’re losing roughly 50% (or more) of your scholarship players in some capacity
But how do we bring in 30 recruits and transfers with people transferring out.
I didn't read the list again but if you are t starting or playing big minutes as an upperclassmen 'm sure they are being pushed out

Apologies up front if a dumb Q, but guys like Ladson, Parish and Kirk …. Didn’t they portal in here? Aren’t there restrictions on a second transfer, i.e. Darrell Jackson? Are we assuming they get a waiver? Reminds me of Tez Walker and his troubles as well, but he may have been on arguably transfer number 3.

Advertisement
Apologies up front if a dumb Q, but guys like Ladson, Parish and Kirk …. Didn’t they portal in here? Aren’t there restrictions on a second transfer, i.e. Darrell Jackson? Are we assuming they get a waiver? Reminds me of Tez Walker and his troubles as well, but he may have been on arguably transfer number 3.
Grad transfers can transfer however many times they want to for free and no penalty

Where’s @lindend been? This **** hole of a thread belongs to him
Arnold Im Back GIF by Death Wish Coffee

If they’ve already portalled but now graduated, could they move as a grad transfer?

Advertisement
20 to 25 players does seem like a lot but its just his guess. Lets compare the top 8 Teams this year and how many players transferred out from them.
1. Georgia- 15 players
2. Michigan- 14 players
3. Washington- 17 players
4. FSU- 22 Players
5. Oregon- 32 players
6. OSU- 12 Players
7. Texas- 21 Players
8. Bama- 22 Players

So the established powerhouse brands lost 10-15 except for bama who lost 22 and the up and coming short term success teams needed more transfers. Obviously this is from 2023 and we will have to wait and see what happens this year so its still TBD on if it is a good strategy or not.

From the names mentioned the only one really hurt is Damari and i pray mario can convince him to stay, the rest are meh

CanesGiving November 23, 2023

Predictions

• We're about to flip a guy everybody wants. Unsure how Mario did it. Its a defensive player.
  • Thought he'd flip him during the season, word on the street the flip is complete.
  • We're 6-5 (eventually 7-5), we're still on 9-10 elite players. Thinks Mario will pull off at least 3 of the 10

Comments

• Giving Dawson a pass for this year. Mario has been too hands on in this offense
  • Doesn't believe Dawson is calling the plays he wants to call

Advertisement
Back