MEGA Miami Fan Attendance -Discussion

Advertisement
I was at both those games and trust me, there wasn't 50,000 people there at either of them.

Also, the attendance numbers are based on tickets sold. Season tickets count as sold tickets even if the owner doesn't show up for the game. They tend to get boosts in season ticket sales when A) FSU a home game (2022) B) they hire a new coach (2019 and 2022) or C) the previous season was a big success.
Could be wrong but I don't think our season ticket sales have ever approached anything close to 50,000. Who knows how they make up those wacky attendance numbers.

So ... how many people actually were there at Hard Rock last nite? Your best guess -- 10,000, 25,000??

This is not on the university. The university went out and did exactly what people have been begging them to do for a long time and spend the going rate for a top tier coach and top tier assistants. Mario went out and did exactly what people have been begging and hired top tier innovative coaches on both sides of the ball. The team did exactly what people have been begging for by dominating a quality opponent in Texas AM last week.

This is 100% on the fans. Being at the game last night I was embarrassed. That team and staff deserved the support after doing what they did the previous week. Especially for a game where you literally could have gotten a ticket for under $10.

The reputation of South Florida having some of the worst fans in the country is 100% warranted.

I'd like to hear from anyone on this board who lives in South Florida and didn't go to the game, what your reason was for not attending.

Advertisement
Went to the game last night. Lets say i was highly disappointed in the turn out. I dont too care for what the media and rival fans say but i want the players to feel the love every game, V FSU or v Bethune.

If you live out of state or way up central and north FL, this is not about u. The money out of state fans have to spend to get to 1 game, dwarfs what local fans need to spend on season tickets.

Miami fans game attendance comes down to culture and mindset. Miami Dade population is 2.6 mill as of 2021, Broward is 1.9 mill and palm beach county is 1.5 mill. Roughly 6 million people live within 1 hour of Hard Rock stadium. Miami is a national program. Not getting 55-60k every week is culture and mindset.

I do put alot of it on the University. They do a really poor job of marketing the program. Why dont they bomb local gas stations and corner stores with canes gear and memorabilia, billboards, radio spots.

So FL has a higher median income than most small college towns. We can claim that other university have more alums than Miami, thats true. But Miami also attracts more fans that have no affiliation with the university because of brand recognition. The University is not maximizing the brand recognition.

In addition to the marketing i spoke of, i would reduce the capacity of Hard Rock and make the tickets more scarce.

This is gonna be the last negative fodder rivals and media use against us. We need to change it and stop making excuses.

Not because its been one way doesnt mean it always has to be that way. It only remain that way if we do the same thing. Winning alone wont bring fans. I seen clips of 2001 and there were 40k v Syracuse

Btw when i say market the team. Play on the hometown all american. There should be a billboard all over SO FL of Kam, James. They are not doing enough.
You’re spot on. For a University that teaches Marketing they get a F. That’s right failing. Why in the world don’t they hire professionals for marketing and not in house no budget amateurs. From no mics at question answer to no presence in local market is ridiculous in this day and age. They could cheaply buy a large radio and tv buy that hammers home the message. It would be worth the investment. I worked for 17 years at WDZL 39 and trust me Media works.

Its a Thursday night game, its Bethune who you will never ever lose to even starting your 3rd string, you went 5-7 last year and its South Florida.

Yeah, nothing says 50,000 NOT in attendance than the above

This is not on the university. The university went out and did exactly what people have been begging them to do for a long time and spend the going rate for a top tier coach and top tier assistants. Mario went out and did exactly what people have been begging and hired top tier innovative coaches on both sides of the ball. The team did exactly what people have been begging for by dominating a quality opponent in Texas AM last week.

This is 100% on the fans. Being at the game last night I was embarrassed. That team and staff deserved the support after doing what they did the previous week. Especially for a game where you literally could have gotten a ticket for under $10.

The reputation of South Florida having some of the worst fans in the country is 100% warranted.

I'd like to hear from anyone on this board who lives in South Florida and didn't go to the game, what your reason was for not attending.

Thats where I have to respectfully disagree. I don’t think investing in the program is enough. You still have to sell it and convince, entice, and convince people that they should spend their money to attend. Marketing and community outreach.

Paid attendance vs asses in seats. Two very different numbers which is why comparing year to year on this is plain silly.
Do you really think there ever were 50,000+ people who bought tix for a Bethune game in 2019 and 2022 (as that poster said) -- or in any other year? Thats what paid attendance means.

You'd have to believe 35,000 holding a ticket just decided not to show. Sure, there's always no-shows but that's sorta unbelievable.

Advertisement
Went to the game last night. Lets say i was highly disappointed in the turn out. I dont too care for what the media and rival fans say but i want the players to feel the love every game, V FSU or v Bethune.

If you live out of state or way up central and north FL, this is not about u. The money out of state fans have to spend to get to 1 game, dwarfs what local fans need to spend on season tickets.

Miami fans game attendance comes down to culture and mindset. Miami Dade population is 2.6 mill as of 2021, Broward is 1.9 mill and palm beach county is 1.5 mill. Roughly 6 million people live within 1 hour of Hard Rock stadium. Miami is a national program. Not getting 55-60k every week is culture and mindset.

I do put alot of it on the University. They do a really poor job of marketing the program. Why dont they bomb local gas stations and corner stores with canes gear and memorabilia, billboards, radio spots.

So FL has a higher median income than most small college towns. We can claim that other university have more alums than Miami, thats true. But Miami also attracts more fans that have no affiliation with the university because of brand recognition. The University is not maximizing the brand recognition.

In addition to the marketing i spoke of, i would reduce the capacity of Hard Rock and make the tickets more scarce.

This is gonna be the last negative fodder rivals and media use against us. We need to change it and stop making excuses.

Not because its been one way doesnt mean it always has to be that way. It only remain that way if we do the same thing. Winning alone wont bring fans. I seen clips of 2001 and there were 40k v Syracuse

Btw when i say market the team. Play on the hometown all american. There should be a billboard all over SO FL of Kam, James. They are not doing enough.
I dont disagree with most of what you are saying, but neither Miami gardens nor is Coral Gables a college town. These conversations happen every year and someone goes out of their way to look up and post all of these different statistics about why Miami should have a sold out stadium every week....the bottom line is that does not matter at all in Miami.

The upstate area that I live in South Carolina, is absolutely slam full of blue collar people from Anderson & Oconee to Cherokee & York counties, and those people will budget their lives around going to college football games.

I have met people all over the entire state like this, as a matter of fact.
I have always been a die hard cane fan, and no I do not get to South Florida much for games, but almost all of the other college towns I have been to for Canes away games, are so much different than South Florida when it comes to college sports

I was there. Started tailgating at 3:00 p.m. Had a great time.

Was I surprised at the crowd? Absolutely not.
Was I disappointed in the crowd? Yes.
Did the attendance interfere with my enjoyment? Nope.
Will I spend more time fretting about it? Not happening.

Miami is a big event town. Bethune on a Thursday night will NEVER draw a massive crowd. As for the rest of the schedule…win and they will come.

I was there. Started tailgating at 3:00 p.m. Had a great time.

Was I surprised at the crowd? Absolutely not.
Was I disappointed in the crowd? Yes.
Did the attendance interfere with my enjoyment? Nope.
Will I spend more time fretting about it? Not happening.

Miami is a big event town. Bethune on a Thursday night will NEVER draw a massive crowd. As for the rest of the schedule…win and they will come.
I don’t think people are saying it’s reasonable to expect a full stadium but i think the consensus is that Miami can do more to prevent a **** near empty stadium.

Thats where I have to respectfully disagree. I don’t think investing in the program is enough. You still have to sell it and convince, entice, and convince people that they should spend their money to attend. Marketing and community outreach.
People need to stop blaming everyone else and get off their couch and get to the games. I would bet half if not more of the people on this board who are local did not go to the game last night. Was it because the university didn't do a good enough job marketing? no it wasn't.

Advertisement
Yall saying its Bethune is exactly why the university needs to market the program and the players. Connect the players and program to the fans. Market it to them to come see Kam and James and Wes cux they from down here. Ok its Bethune but i care more about seeing Kam cuz he from down here. I wanna support him.

Thats why im saying its not a built in thing. Its Miami culture and mindset. Not a big opponent, im not going.

Total dip****tery from you, as is usual.

FAMU was the home opener that year. On a Saturday.

I'm not even going to bother with you here. I know you know the difference, and I know the trash you spew is performative attention-seeking.

Spare us. Why don't you use your time more wisely, by trolling the UiF or F$U boards.
You took the time to write all that. Thanks for 3 stanzas telling me you wouldn't bother with me.

But since you are bothering with me you're saying 60k FAMU2016 was because it was the home opener. So because it wasn't the home opener 48k for a ranked TAMU 2023 is perfectly acceptable? 40k for BCC is okay? We had 49k this years opener against an FBS team.

Last edited:
Fetch Mean Girls GIF by Paramount Movies

The low numbers last Night looked awful but it was a dog**** opponent on a Thursday night.

Here is a picture of the OB from 2001 vs Temple. We are the #1 team. We lost 1 game the previous season. This is who we are.

View attachment 256924
It has always been that way. And a Thursday night game doesn't help one bit. This is not some backwood college town, this is Miami.

Advertisement
I don’t think people are saying it’s reasonable to expect a full stadium but i think the consensus is that Miami can do more to prevent a **** near empty stadium.
No, South Florida people can do more to be actual fans and not people claiming to be fans only when it's something that gets lots of attention. South Florida fans deserve every bit of criticism for being some of the worst fans in the country.

You took the time to write all that. Thanks for 3 standard stanzas telling me you wouldn't bother with me.

But since you are bothering with me you're saying 60k FAMU2016 was because it was the home opener. So because it wasn't the home opener 48k for a ranked TAMU 2023 is perfectly acceptable? 40k for BCC is okay? We had 49k this years opener.

Since you are clearly too dumb to understand...

There is a context to every number. If you want to learn it, fine. If not, **** off, but I'm certainly not going to sit here and let you spew misinformation and generalizations like sewage.

Nobody said anything was "OK". But if you actually bothered to think about the aTm and B-C games, if you TRIED to understand, they you wouldn't have to repeat numbers is if they were self-evident (they are not).

ANY Power 5 opponent that comes to Hard Rock is expected to bring some of their fans. We don't simply sell 65,000 tickets to Miami fans. F$U brings plenty of fans. Notre Dame brings plenty of fans. Clemson brings plenty of fans.

Annnnd...aTm did NOT bring plenty of fans. Now, would aTm have sold an extra 16K tickets? No, I'm not saying that. But we would have been somewhere between 55K and 60K.

Or, to put it another way, the attendance at LAST YEAR's Miami-aTm game was one of the largest EVER at their stadium, at 107,245. So what happened? 5-7 happened (to both of us). Quite obviously, the vast majority of the aTm fanbase didn't travel, and they have a HUGE and well-financed fanbase...who chose not to travel to a beautiful destination (as opposed to some crappy college town)...even though they were the ranked team...

As for B-C, we've already explained those factors several times. Nobody has said it's "OK", but we can't change the reality of what a Thursday night game (on a stormy-looking night) will do for attendance against a TERRIBLE opponent.

All 4 of my Seat-Geek-listed tickets sold within 24 hours of the game. Clearly, some people were making their determinations to attend right up until game time. So I understand why the attendance was not higher.

But, sure, you are going to keep on vomiting your bile on Miami.

Clearly, there has not been as much interest in these first three games, either by Miami fans or by fans of our opponents. I expect their to be somewhat more interest for the next 4 games against ACC opponents.

Whoever in the athletic department decided to raise ticket prices made a terrible decision. You don't do that when you have a product that was 5-7 and was boring as ****. I for one did not renew my tickets after being a season ticket holder for over 30 years. They actually should have advertised heavily and reduced prices. They can still do that and refund money back to the current season ticket holders. That's exactly would I would do right now. Sounds strange but it's correct thing to do.

Advertisement
Back