Miami Commit McLaughlin Gains 40 Pounds, Shuts Down Recruitment

View as article

Matthew_Suero

Junior
Premium
As Florida continues to deal with the effects of the coronavirus shutdowns, Miami 4-star OT commit Michael McLaughlin has adjusted to life in quarantine and figured out a routine.

“I normally get up around 8 or 9, get my workout in for the day, knock out some schoolwork, then I hang out at home for a while.”

The work the 6’7” McLaughlin has put in over the offseason has had a huge impact, as he has completely reshaped his body from where he was at the end of last season.

“I’m up 40 pounds from the season, sitting between 285 and 290.”

Aside from just getting bigger, McLaughlin has also been working on improving his technique. The Marjory Stoneman Douglas star just played his first season on the OL as a junior in 2019.

“I’ve been working with my trainer about twice a week. We mostly focus on pass protection, but once every few sessions, we do run blocks also.”

Miami offensive line coach Garin Justice has kept in regular contact with McLaughlin throughout the past few months as the two continue to build a relationship.

“He still sends me edits and still recruits me although I’m committed. I also keep him updated on the progress I’ve made this offseason as well.” McLaughlin continued, “A little while ago, we had a Zoom call and went over some film and technique together.”

Elsewhere in this recruitment, McLaughlin says he has not spoken to any other schools since he committed to Miami despite offers from FSU, Ole Miss, Virginia Tech, and Louisville among others.

“No one else is recruiting me anymore, I shut down my recruitment when I committed.”

With McLaughlin locked into the class, Miami has three offensive linemen committed as of right now – McLaughlin and interior prospects Laurence Seymore and Ryan Rodriguez.

“I had the chance to meet a few other guys in the class at Rivals camp and UA camp earlier this year.” McLaughlin continued, “I met Seymore and Rodriguez, I was also on a Zoom call with them a couple weeks ago as well. I think we will work great together.”

McLaughlin also told CIS he is on pace to enroll early at Miami in January in time for spring football.

Advertisement
Advertisement
So a True Frosh offensive lineman gains a massive amount of weight before the season starts.....

giphy (6).gif

Advertisement
So a True Frosh offensive lineman gains a massive amount of weight before the season starts.....

View attachment 121791

Well this is a little different.... He is doing it before his senior year of HS. Zion did it after his senior year and while on campus at UM. If he walks in the door around 280/290 he is already at where Zion was weight wise.

Well this is a little different.... He is doing it before his senior year of HS. Zion did it after his senior year and while on campus at UM. If he walks in the door around 280/290 he is already at where Zion was weight wise.
I know.. I just figured the deja vu factor was worth poking fun at.... Still don't want the kid playing unless it's mop up duty within the four game limit he has.... Other than that get him in S&C for the year and let him start balling out in his RS Frosh year...

Advertisement
As Florida continues to deal with the effects of the coronavirus shutdowns, Miami 4-star OT commit Michael McLaughlin has adjusted to life in quarantine and figured out a routine.

“I normally get up around 8 or 9, get my workout in for the day, knock out some schoolwork, then I hang out at home for a while.”

The work the 6’7” McLaughlin has put in over the offseason has had a huge impact, as he has completely reshaped his body from where he was at the end of last season.

“I’m up 40 pounds from the season, sitting between 285 and 290.”

Aside from just getting bigger, McLaughlin has also been working on improving his technique. The Marjory Stoneman Douglas star just played his first season on the OL as a junior in 2019.

“I’ve been working with my trainer about twice a week. We mostly focus on pass protection, but once every few sessions, we do run blocks also.”

Miami offensive line coach Garin Justice has kept in regular contact with McLaughlin throughout the past few months as the two continue to build a relationship.

“He still sends me edits and still recruits me although I’m committed. I also keep him updated on the progress I’ve made this offseason as well.” McLaughlin continued, “A little while ago, we had a Zoom call and went over some film and technique together.”

Elsewhere in this recruitment, McLaughlin says he has not spoken to any other schools since he committed to Miami despite offers from FSU, Ole Miss, Virginia Tech, and Louisville among others.

“No one else is recruiting me anymore, I shut down my recruitment when I committed.”

With McLaughlin locked into the class, Miami has three offensive linemen committed as of right now – McLaughlin and interior prospects Laurence Seymore and Ryan Rodriguez.

“I had the chance to meet a few other guys in the class at Rivals camp and UA camp earlier this year.” McLaughlin continued, “I met Seymore and Rodriguez, I was also on a Zoom call with them a couple weeks ago as well. I think we will work great together.”

McLaughlin also told CIS he is on pace to enroll early at Miami in January in time for spring football.
F*ck yes!

Advertisement
I love this commit. Still can't believe he was a Butch Barry eval.

Wasn't McGlaughlin a TE only a year ago? I wasn't on the Zion Nelson bandwagon as the next Winston. Thought (and still think) he could be serviceable in 3-4 years, not year 1. McGlaughlin needs to redshirt, too. But he is both further along in terms of his physical development, and has a naturally higher ceiling than Nelson. I could see him being a big, positive factor on the line in his second year.

We are finally getting the quality and depth we need along the line. It's going to be nice to see Rivers, Walker, McGlaughlin, Big Baby, Rodriguez, et al. dominating the LOS for once.

Advertisement
Back