LF Cloonan
SS Zamora
1B Del Castillo
2B Vilar
C Amditis
DH Quinones
RF Crosbie
CF Jenkins
Cloonan is gonna have to shorten up his swing a little if he wants to hit that high in the order. Too big and loopy, IMO - hopefully, he's working on that. Given Crosbie was noted by Lance for his plate discipline and grinding out AB's, maybe he can fit there in the 2 slot.

Unless Quinones and/or Amditis is smashing the ball, I don't see having them in the lineup at the same time. I think one of Rivera, Toral, Gil, or even Gates might be the DH...if Del Castillo is playing 1B as he is in your lineup...otherwise, he's your DH.

One thing I think I like (will hopefully prove out when we actually start playing), is that we have some flexibility with the lineup. We can move guys around until we find a slot they're comfortable hitting in. We also seem to have enough positional versatility to try different things in the field to see what works best.

Advertisement
Cloonan is gonna have to shorten up his swing a little if he wants to hit that high in the order. Too big and loopy, IMO - hopefully, he's working on that. Given Crosbie was noted by Lance for his plate discipline and grinding out AB's, maybe he can fit there in the 2 slot.

Unless Quinones and/or Amditis is smashing the ball, I don't see having them in the lineup at the same time. I think one of Rivera, Toral, Gil, or even Gates might be the DH...if Del Castillo is playing 1B as he is in your lineup...otherwise, he's your DH.

One thing I think I like (will hopefully prove out when we actually start playing), is that we have some flexibility with the lineup. We can move guys around until we find a slot they're comfortable hitting in. We also seem to have enough positional versatility to try different things in the field to see what works best.

I sure hope Gates gets plenty of ABs if he is as advertised (in addition to closing or setting up?). We need position players who can produce offensively for three years the way Zamora did last year, if we expect to ever get back to Omaha.

C-Amditis(looks much better defensively this spring)
1B-Toral
2B-Vilar(DiMare basically confirmed this on WQAM tonight)
SS-Zamora
3B-Escala(looks much more comfortable at third than he did in the fall)
RF-Rivera/Crosbie
CF-Jenkins
LF-Cloonan
DH-Del Castillo

C-Amditis(looks much better defensively this spring)
1B-Toral
2B-Vilar(DiMare basically confirmed this on WQAM tonight)
SS-Zamora
3B-Escala(looks much more comfortable at third than he did in the fall)
RF-Rivera/Crosbie
CF-Jenkins
LF-Cloonan
DH-Del Castillo

From what I've been told and what I've seen reported this is pretty close to what we will see Opening Day. Toral will get a shot to bounce back at 1B. I would expect that leash to be about a month. If he's playing well- great. If not, you'll see Gil or Del Castillo there and Gates will get some DH time. I would not look for Gates to play the field at all because he is too valuable as a pitcher to risk. Gates will be the closer to start the year.

You can see the real emphasis on versatility and defense that the coaches are placing on things. There were a ton of left-handed hitters brought into the fold and the emphasis on defense has been a constant theme. They're also wanting to improve their baserunning dramatically. The addition of the left-handers will allow the coaches to mix and match and even consider straight platoons.

I do believe this team is much deeper, more balanced, and will win more games. A lot has to go right to really have a shot at Omaha though based on what I'm being told because there was still far too much inconsistency from the sophomores in the fall.

Advertisement
Were going to Omaha this year whether any of you porstors like it or not! Support the team win or lose or go take a hike!

From what I've been told and what I've seen reported this is pretty close to what we will see Opening Day. Toral will get a shot to bounce back at 1B. I would expect that leash to be about a month. If he's playing well- great. If not, you'll see Gil or Del Castillo there and Gates will get some DH time. I would not look for Gates to play the field at all because he is too valuable as a pitcher to risk. Gates will be the closer to start the year.

You can see the real emphasis on versatility and defense that the coaches are placing on things. There were a ton of left-handed hitters brought into the fold and the emphasis on defense has been a constant theme. They're also wanting to improve their baserunning dramatically. The addition of the left-handers will allow the coaches to mix and match and even consider straight platoons.

I do believe this team is much deeper, more balanced, and will win more games. A lot has to go right to really have a shot at Omaha though based on what I'm being told because there was still far too much inconsistency from the sophomores in the fall.
@Lance Roffers How did Toral do in the Fall?

@Lance Roffers How did Toral do in the Fall?

Inconsistent. Didn’t make enough contact. Coach DiMare characterized his fall as “ok.”

Here is the quote: DiMare said “Toral is the guy we’re counting on. We haven’t given up on him. He had a good summer in Wisconsin, and was OK in the fall. He just isn’t consistent enough.”

Advertisement
Inconsistent. Didn’t make enough contact. Coach DiMare characterized his fall as “ok.”

Here is the quote: DiMare said “Toral is the guy we’re counting on. We haven’t given up on him. He had a good summer in Wisconsin, and was OK in the fall. He just isn’t consistent enough.”
Man I hope he gets it together. He was a top 10 player in his class at one point and in high school I have seen him hit the biggest bombs against the best of teams that were way out of the park; including Marlins park. I hope he can find it because I never would of thought he would struggle like he is.

Man I hope he gets it together. He was a top 10 player in his class at one point and in high school I have seen him hit the biggest bombs against the best of teams that were way out of the park; including Marlins park. I hope he can find it because I never would of thought he would struggle like he is.
Chicks still dig the long ball, but you've got to be able to put the ball in play and avoid strikeouts to win.

I did watch an ITU video on YouTube that showed some BP with Cloonan/Zamora/Toral/Crosbie, and Toral did look like he put a couple out, but he definitely missed some as well because he was trying to put every pitch out of the park. While he looked a little better than last year (mind you, this was BP), Toral needs to work on being more disciplined with his front side and letting his body/legs generate his power instead of his arms.

I'm not writing off Toral...no one really should. Just let him work and develop. If he gets there, great. If not, then move on to the next guy.

Toral didn't hit during his senior year of high school either, so this wasn't just a college transition thing. This was an example of committing to a guy way too early and then being stuck with him.

Advertisement
I’m surprised that Van Belle is starting on Sunday. I wasn’t impressed with his JUCO numbers, but had heard that he’s been pitching well. Veliz’s role will be interesting with Gates and Federman seemingly having the back end of the bullpen locked down. Perhaps he does end up in the midweek role with Slade showing some inconsistency.

Advertisement
Veliz/Cecconi in the midweek role, and all of them continuing to compete w/Van Belle isn't a bad problem to have. I also like having this many guys capable to start because one of them could always slide over to long relief if a game calls for it. It's a good thing to have up your sleeve, say if a rain delay forces a starter to sit after 3 or 4 innings and you don't want to go directly to your normal bullpen arms.

I'm quite surprised by this news. Frankly, I don't think it'll end up working out but I'm not rooting for that. I'd rather they use Maury or another arm as the 5th starter and leave Veliz for the bullpen.

Having a guy who with the stuff of Veliz available to throw 30 games in the season is also a big luxury. There won't be many teams that can match a trio of Veliz/Federman/Gates out of the bullpen. College baseball is a lot different than MLB, where the relievers are often incredible arms that strike out the world. In college, you see the strong clubs win games in the 6th/7th innings after the opponents starter tires out and before they can bring in their closer.

There are lots of teams who announce a Sunday starter that only hold the spot for a few weeks and then once the early rush is out of the way someone else moves into that role. Cecconi has faltered late in camp, I do know that.

I'm quite surprised by this news. Frankly, I don't think it'll end up working out but I'm not rooting for that. I'd rather they use Maury or another arm as the 5th starter and leave Veliz for the bullpen.

Having a guy who with the stuff of Veliz available to throw 30 games in the season is also a big luxury. There won't be many teams that can match a trio of Veliz/Federman/Gates out of the bullpen. College baseball is a lot different than MLB, where the relievers are often incredible arms that strike out the world. In college, you see the strong clubs win games in the 6th/7th innings after the opponents starter tires out and before they can bring in their closer.

There are lots of teams who announce a Sunday starter that only hold the spot for a few weeks and then once the early rush is out of the way someone else moves into that role. Cecconi has faltered late in camp, I do know that.
Keysor and Mixon as 4th and 5th guys outta the Pen doesn't seem too shabby either. Oh yeah, and Maury.

Advertisement
Back