Miami Baseball Commits in the MLB Draft

No one taken in the first 3 rounds so basically no one that can step in and make a huge impact. David Thompson, who I don't think is this superhuman stud that others consider him to be, is having shoulder surgery so who knows how he will be when he returns to action.

Oh... He'll turn you into a believer eventually.

We'll see. It's not like I don't know what he did in HS. I just don't think he is all world like so many of you do. By the way, MLB agrees with me. Not a SS and doesn't really have a position. Not the super prospect most make him out to be.

Advertisement
No one taken in the first 3 rounds so basically no one that can step in and make a huge impact. David Thompson, who I don't think is this superhuman stud that others consider him to be, is having shoulder surgery so who knows how he will be when he returns to action.

We'll see. It's not like I don't know what he did in HS. I just don't think he is all world like so many of you do. By the way, MLB agrees with me. Not a SS and doesn't really have a position. Not the super prospect most make him out to be.

I'm confident he'll be a middle of the line-up impact guy for us immediately. I think he will in fact make the impact you seem to question.

Agree with this... He's a good player and has more potential on the diamond than on the football field, but I don't think he is all-world. I saw him against Columbus this year and he played CF, batting 2nd. He went 0-4 with 3 Ks. Obviously it was a small sample size, but remember he's also having surgery that could hurt his development.

The thing is, he could be a phenomenal college baseball player without being an "all-world prospect."

If the kid comes in and hits like Danny Matienzo, I will be ecstatic.

Agree with this... He's a good player and has more potential on the diamond than on the football field, but I don't think he is all-world. I saw him against Columbus this year and he played CF, batting 2nd. He went 0-4 with 3 Ks. Obviously it was a small sample size, but remember he's also having surgery that could hurt his development.

From the news reports, he played the entire past baseball season with a torn labrum. And if you judge a baseball player by watching one game...you're an idiot

Advertisement

From the news reports, he played the entire past baseball season with a torn labrum. And if you judge a baseball player by watching one game...you're an idiot

Small sample size wasnt enough indication that Peter wasnt in fact judging him based upon that game?

Just an FYI...there was a new rule for Signing bonuses this year because of the new CBA.

Hence some players who would have been drafted at a high spot in the 2nd-4th round we're passed over because they couldn't be swayed with the maximum signing bonuses designated to the pick.

• Teams may only sign Draft picks to Minor League contracts and will be taxed and/or penalized for exceeding the designated signing bonuses (previously called slot recommendations) for the sum of their picks in the first 10 rounds.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20111122&content_id=26026776

The biggest change is the bonus pool, an updated version of the unofficial slotting (suggested bonus money based on draft position) that MLB tried to get clubs to adhere to in the past with mixed results. A flaw in that system was that lower-revenue teams often passed on top talents because of the cost of signing them, allowing richer and more successful teams to add to their collection of talent.

Now, each team's pool for the first 10 rounds is based on a complicated system that takes into account draft position, number of picks and money spent the previous year. Bonuses under $100,000 after round 10 don't count against the pool. This year's pools range from $12.3 million for the Minnesota Twins' 13 picks to $1.6 million for the Los Angeles Angels' eight selections.

Teams can exceed the pool, but with penalties: A 75% luxury tax on the excess amount for going 5% or less over the limit; a 100% tax and loss of next year's first-round pick for 5%-10% over; ranging up to a loss of two No. 1 picks for more than 15% over.

Adding to the decision-making pressure is a July 13 signing deadline — moved up from Aug. 15 — for players taken this week.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/story/2012-06-03/MLB-draft-appel/55384134/1

Signing bonuses have dropped for many top picks in this year's amateur draft, the first under restrictive rules adopted in baseball's new collective bargaining agreement. Teams face penalties if they exceed specified totals for their bonuses.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2012/07/04/high-mlb-draft-picks-sign-for-1000-apiece/#ixzz20316ONuk

Please note: I am not speaking on Thompson's abilities at all. I am just saying some new factors for signing players this year.

Thompson's draft status has nothing to do with the new bonus budgets. He wasn't projected a top 10 round pick even before the CBA because of his desire to go to college. Teams weren't willing to use a high pick on a guy they had little chance of signing.

Advertisement
Thompson's draft status has nothing to do with the new bonus budgets. He wasn't projected a top 10 round pick even before the CBA because of his desire to go to college. Teams weren't willing to use a high pick on a guy they had little chance of signing.

A couple of MLB teams would disagree with that statement. It had plenty to do with the new CBA, and had it been any other year we probably would have lost him.

Don't need to be a super prospect to make it in college ball. In fact, if you are a super prospect you are NOT PLAYING college ball. It is all relative bubba.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back