Miami at Virginia (3-1-21) at 6 pm on ACCN

Gotta push back there -- winning a Big East Championship under Hamilton and winning both the ACC reg season championship and the ACC Tourney in the same year are definitely "bright spots." In fact the latter is VERY rare, even for UNC and Duke. Getting to a couple Sweet 16s is also notable.
You misunderstood me. I’m talking at the moment. Of course all of those you mentioned were bright spots. There are zero bright spots within the program right now.

Advertisement
You misunderstood me. I’m talking at the moment. Of course all of those you mentioned were bright spots. There are zero bright spots within the program right now.
Got it! These two sentences, back to back, had me misunderstanding you: "There were always bright spots even in our down years of the other sports. There is not a single bright spot in this program."

Got it! These two sentences, back to back, had me misunderstanding you: "There were always bright spots even in our down years of the other sports. There is not a single bright spot in this program."
Good call. Didn’t realize it read like that. We’ve had more bright spots in hoops than we have had in football since joining the acc. To this day that is still incredible for me to type or say out loud

Good call. Didn’t realize it read like that. We’ve had more bright spots in hoops than we have had in football since joining the acc. To this day that is still incredible for me to type or say out loud
We can thank the football program for the invite of UM to join the ACC. Even though the football side hasn't quite worked out like they -- or us fans -- expected.

Advertisement
Just like with Jim Morris, people tried to point out that we were sticking with the wrong guy. Got a lot of disagreement here. "He took us to the Sweet 16!!" kind of stuff. And just like with Jim Morris, we let a guy hang around long enough to bury the program.
It’s the Miami way!

Haven't read the thread, but did anyone notice we have two players over 6'11.

They played a combined 44 minutes and got ZERO rebounds.

How is that possible?
?
1614709086306.png

How is that possible?
Yet I had a slurper on here argue with me and say our frontcourt production is just fine and hasn't cost us any games.

Advertisement

How is that possible?

I guess that officially ends the debate that Nysier Brooks is an upgrade over Rodney Miller.
It is now confirmed, it was a tie at best.
Rodney was definitely better on the offensive end.

I guess that officially ends the debate that Nysier Brooks is an upgrade over Rodney Miller.
It is now confirmed, it was a tie at best.
Rodney was definitely better on the offensive end.
Agreed. I think Brooks "looks" like a better player than Miller because he's not as clumsy or awkward.

But just looking at it from a production standpoint:

Miller (Last year - 30 games played)
24 MPG
58% FG
60% FT
7.2 ppg
5.5 rpg
14 assists
21 turnovers
19 steals
22 blocks

Brooks (23 games played)
26 MPG
48% FG
62% FT
6.2 ppg
5.8 rpg
17 assists
31 turnovers
12 steals
20 blocks

Very similar production. Miller had better touch around the rim and didn't turn it over as much. Brooks is a better defender.

Unpopular opinion: wardenburg would have helped this team tremendously. Specifically brooks game because he can space the floor for brooks to bang and attack glass

Unpopular opinion: wardenburg would have helped this team tremendously. Specifically brooks game because he can space the floor for brooks to bang and attack glass

Maybe. Just being honest, if all three were healthy, none of the three would have averaged double figures in scoring or rebounding.
Even if you combined all three of their production together, there would be games where those three combined don't reach double figures in either scoring or rebounding.

Advertisement
Maybe. Just being honest, if all three were healthy, none of the three would have averaged double figures in scoring or rebounding.
Even if you combined all three of their production together, there would be games where those three combined don't reach double figures in either scoring or rebounding.
I agree. I’m not coming out and saying this team would have been a tournament team. I just am responding to the flack brooks is catching. He’s not a superstar but his role with this current roster is not allowing him to play to his strengths. We’re a black hole at the 4. I like walkers energy but him being a starter in the acc right now is scary

I agree. I’m not coming out and saying this team would have been a tournament team. I just am responding to the flack brooks is catching. He’s not a superstar but his role with this current roster is not allowing him to play to his strengths. We’re a black hole at the 4. I like walkers energy but him being a starter in the acc right now is scary
Possibly. But in many ways, Walker has been more productive than Sam ever was. Sam would disappear for long stretches at a time.

Also, we had Cross at one point and I don't recall Brooks' production being a ton better when Cross was on the floor with him vs. now. I'm not trying to rip the kid, I'm just alluding to the fact that this staff has failed to recruit and develop bigs so our only option is to take "fill-in" transfers like Brooks, Keith Stone, etc. Those guys aren't going to win you games in the ACC.

In fairness, if healthy, they would have made the tournament.
I am just saying, the front court would be good by committee and not individually.

Advertisement
In fairness, if healthy, they would have made the tournament.
I am just saying, the front court would be good by committee and not individually.
I cant give L and staff that much credit. This team, coached by burnt out Jim and his minions would not have made the tournament. NIT maybe. The pieces are not there. And the system makes that shine even more

Possibly. But in many ways, Walker has been more productive than Sam ever was. Sam would disappear for long stretches at a time.

Also, we had Cross at one point and I don't recall Brooks' production being a ton better when Cross was on the floor with him vs. now. I'm not trying to rip the kid, I'm just alluding to the fact that this staff has failed to recruit and develop bigs so our only option is to take "fill-in" transfers like Brooks, Keith Stone, etc. Those guys aren't going to win you games in the ACC.
Something obviously was going on with cross because he lacked confidence out there. Played scared on most nights.

Advertisement
Back