Miami at Penn State

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
We didn’t shoot great, but we finally hit some **** 3’s and out scored our opponent from beyond the arc, which was key. A few other thoughts:

- you won’t see much in the box score from him, but I thought Bensley Joseph played outstanding defense while Kam was in foul trouble in the first half
- Charlie Moore is maddening. One great play, followed up by 2 awful plays
- Wong has looked a step slow. He has not been as explosive when attacking the rim. He also has been terrible from 3. Where he’s been most effective is his mid range jumper. But he needs to play better then he did tonight
- wooga plays out of control at times. I thought he would be a better shooter than he’s shown so far. He sort of reminds me of James Palmer
- Jordan miller is another player who didn’t do much stat wise but played well defensively
- it’s not fair to have Sam guard beefy centers like Harrar, but unfortunately we have no one who can, and that falls entirely on L
- Walker needs to step up. He has gotten off to a disappointing start to this season after a nice finish to his sophomore year
- Beverly has to be on transfer watch at this point

We didn’t shoot great, but we finally hit some **** 3’s and out scored our opponent from beyond the arc, which was key. A few other thoughts:

- you won’t see much in the box score from him, but I thought Bensley Joseph played outstanding defense while Kam was in foul trouble in the first half
- Wong has looked a step slow. He has not been as explosive when attacking the rim. He also has been terrible from 3. Where he’s been most effective is his mid range jumper. But he needs to play better then he did tonight
- wooga plays out of control at times. I thought he would be a better shooter than he’s shown so far. He sort of reminds me of James Palmer
- Jordan miller is another player who didn’t do much stat wise but played well defensively
- it’s not fair to have Sam guard beefy centers like Harrar, but unfortunately we have no one who can, and that falls entirely on L
- Walker needs to step up. He has gotten off to a disappointing start to this season after a nice finish to his sophomore year
Wong is going through the De'aaron Fox debacle if I'm not mistaken. Basically, kid who is skinny all throughout his career works to put on muscle to improve his strength(especially on the defensive end, which Wong was criticized for when going through the draft process last year). This results in the player becoming less quick as they carry more weight on them, which leads to them being less explosive. Another thing adding muscle can mess with is the fluidity of a jumper, which may also be happening. I'm sure he'll either adjust to his body soon or he'll slowly lose that extra weight over the course of the season.

Kind of tough to see though because Wong is a real talent but he's just gotten no national exposure and has also showed a lot of inefficiency at times. He actually had very similar stats to Florida's Tre Mann who got drafted last year just outside the lottery, just being a bit worse of a 3pt shooter. To be Wong's size and be successful in the NBA you need to be an elite shot creator or off ball player as well as being a defensive dog. The alternative route is to work as more of a combo guard but Wong really hasn't shown the ability to play PG at all though he was one in HS I think. Unless he really starts playing incredibly well down the stretch I don't see him getting drafted above 45 or so if he does get drafted at all.

Poplar got 20 minutes. Guess his defense is coming around or Coach L wanted to give him PT in his home state.

Last edited:
Advertisement
So hey that was pretty good. Good effort on defense and the boards throughout. Good ball movement led to open rhythm 3s which is why we actually made some. May not be many nights like this, but it was actually enjoyable.

Good comments!

Palmer, of course, blossomed into a scorer (something like 18 ppg?) at Nebraska as an upperclassman. Wong started out as a mid-range, penetrating Guard who then unexpectedly gained confidence in shooting 3's. Now, he has seemingly reverted. Walker is also maddening. Just when you think there's upside ...

Advertisement
Good comments!

Palmer, of course, blossomed into a scorer (something like 18 ppg?) at Nebraska as an upperclassman. Wong started out as a mid-range, penetrating Guard who then unexpectedly gained confidence in shooting 3's. Now, he has seemingly reverted. Walker is also maddening. Just when you think there's upside ...
I largely blame L and his staff for Walker's lack of development and for forcing him and Sam to play out of position. L has tended to struggle with developing some of his most athletic players.

I largely blame L and his staff for Walker's lack of development and for forcing him and Sam to play out of position. L has tended to struggle with developing some of his most athletic players.

Baloney. Dequan Jones was a different player under Coach L.

It might be accurate to say L tends to struggle with elite freshman… but to say he doesn’t develop his athletic players is complete garbage.

Baloney. Dequan Jones was a different player under Coach L.

It might be accurate to say L tends to struggle with elite freshman… but to say he doesn’t develop his athletic players is complete garbage.
Dequan Jones? Same guy who averaged 4 points & 2 rebounds per game during his career at Miami? Not sure how that shows that he was a different player under Larranaga. Not to pile it on neither, but who has Miami developed? I could be wrong but I can't think of anyone since Shane Larkin. Larranaga and staff have been pretty bad for a while now in just about every aspect of college coaching (recruiting, player development, x's & o's, winning, etc.).

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back