Miami (+3) @ NC St on ESPN2 1/30 Tues 9PM

Advertisement
This is why you play guys like Watson, Casey, Nwoko and Pjobet around 5 to 10 minutes per game during the non conference portion on your schedule.
They should be getting game experience against mid and low major teams so if you ever have to play them during the conference portion of the schedule, they don't make mistakes due to a lack of experience.
This is nothing new in Coral Gables, I remember in 2019 when Wong would sit the bench as Lykes and DJ played 35 minutes per game.

This is one of the more valid points you make, HOWEVER, guys don’t develop by playing through bad habits.

L’s approach to development (which works exceedingly well given a 3-4 year time horizon) is guys have to earn their minutes and he’s quick to see them if they show habits he is trying to break (or failure to execute what they have been coached).

But I agree our bench might have benefitted from more game action in the noncon schedule.

Most encouraging thing from the 1st half? Miami has been able to keep it close after a bad start and Pack not playing the last 13 minutes of the half due to 2 quick fouls he picked up.

Most discouraging? Wooga’s play
If Cleveland was playing Wooga would have been pulled much earlier.

Advertisement
This is why you play guys like Watson, Casey, Nwoko and Pjobet around 5 to 10 minutes per game during the non conference portion on your schedule.
They should be getting game experience against mid and low major teams so if you ever have to play them during the conference portion of the schedule, they don't make mistakes due to a lack of experience.
This is nothing new in Coral Gables, I remember in 2019 when Wong would sit the bench as Lykes and DJ played 35 minutes per game.
YOU EARN MINUTES UNDER L. Never mind the fact that Nwoko, George and Watson all got to see the floor early in the season, and only George showed the ability to actually be of use in the rotation. Nwoko was TERRIBLE in limited action, what coach worth a crap would continue to play a guy that couldn't tie his shoes without adult supervision? I know we love to run to narratives around here, facts and logic be damned, but it's beyond obvious that if you are a young player and you take advantage of your opportunities, L will play you. I bet you that if #10 continues to give L minutes like he has, dude will be on the floor a lot more often. L is the kind of coach that runs with guys he trusts, guys that are either hot, or have the ability to provide something of value regularly.

I remember Wong as a true freshman, dude struggled(as most somewhat raw freshmen tend to do), people only see the finished product and forget how the guy got there. There's a lot of things you can rightfully criticize L for, his handling of players isn't usually one of them. You look at how these guys develop, provided they do what they are told and put in the work, and it's tough to argue with the results. This "L doesn't play young guys" narrative has to stop, because we've seen time and time again young guys get minutes, especially if they embrace a role.

Love Djobet’s activity on the boards in the first half. Could have used him in all those games earlier in the season we gave up second chance points off offensive rebounds but glad he’s showing energy off the bench
Maybe the light came on for him, or he finally realized "If I'm going to play, I need to give this team something. I can be an energy guy, I can get boards and defend, I'm going to lean into that"

Advertisement
This place is empty. Miami played it worst half of the year. Poplar is off. Pack barely played. Benz needs to find his own way home. And it’s a 4 point game.

Basically what I’m saying is, you can’t lose this game.
Pack and Omier gunna have to save us.

Advertisement
WTF are you talking about? Watson averages 14 minutes per game. The kid can't play. Casey averages over 10 minutes and that includes significant reduced play in conference. Another kid who can't play. I don't think they ever expected Djobet to play. He has already passed Watson. Casey can't even get off the bench.

I mean, no excuses, but injuries have really hurt us this year.
Injuries, when you run a somewhat small bench hurt even more. We've been fortunate the last couple of years in regards to avoiding bad injuries, but as we saw during the bad years, it can become a contagious problem quickly. One guy gets hurt and then you start having guys break down because they are playing more minutes than they should.

Most encouraging thing from the 1st half? Miami has been able to keep it close after a bad start and Pack not playing the last 13 minutes of the half due to 2 quick fouls he picked up.

Most discouraging? Wooga’s play
I guess, sad to say, we mostly expect Joseph bad play each game now. Giving Wooga a run for his NIL money.

Advertisement
WTF are you talking about? Watson averages 14 minutes per game. The kid can't play. Casey averages over 10 minutes and that includes significant reduced play in conference. Another kid who can't play. I don't think they ever expected Djobet to play. He has already passed Watson. Casey can't even get off the bench.

I’m basically with you but Watson can defend. Offensively he’s a head case, but if he can give us what he gave us first half that is a net positive imho.

Watson and Casey played significant minutes up until about a week ago. Nwoko averaged just under 10 minutes in conference play. @Da_Lucky_One do 5 minutes of research before spouting off with one of your horrendous takes.

They can and they will
Dude, touch grass. Seriously. We're all frustrated with how things have gone this season, but this chronic "Everything sucks and this team will never do anything correctly" nonsense is exhausting. Trust me, I'd be a lot happier if this team could get traction and win some games comfortably, but that isn't happening. Hope for the best, go from there.

They played with lots of energy and hustle the last part of the half. If they come out with that same energy in the 2nd half, we’re walking out of there with a W!

Let’s Go Canes!!

Advertisement
Back