Miami 247 Recruiting Ratings - Offensive Line Edition

It’s still kinda weird to me that we get credit for landing Henderson but 🤷🏼‍♂️

Credit goes most of all to USC sanctions and secondarily Pete Carroll going pro. Randy did wait for him to finish his haircut though. So you have to give him some props. ... Also, I'm pretty sure McKinnie was a huge influence on us being number two and his fallback option.

Advertisement
Thank USC sanctions and Pete Carrol going pro for that. Randy did wait for him to finish his haircut though. So you have to give him some props. ... Also, I'm pretty sure McKinnie was a huge influence on us being number two and his fallback option.
**** I forgot about the hair cut part haha

And hey end of the day we landed the guy. So I’m not complaining…it’s been coming up a lot lately though

**** I forgot about the hair cut part haha

And hey end of the day we landed the guy. So I’m not complaining…it’s been coming up a lot lately though

I like to joke about how bad a recruiter Randy was. But this one I admire him for. He never gave up. Coker got Olsen to transfer from ND for the same reason.

In the day of the portal, I think that's gong to be more and more important for coaches. They have to stay on kids, overlook their immaturity to some degree (e.g., Bissanthe's upside down U at his FSU visit).

I think Mario said something like, if we don't get them the first time, we'll get them out of the portal the second time. I'm paraphrasing and not doing justicie to Mario, but the point is valid. And that's an attitude this staff has to have. Weed out the trolls of course. But keep plugging with insight, optimism and a sense of humor

Much of the top 10s were populated by people from the Coker and Shannon eras, to be fair.

And there were coaches on that staff that recruited like UF fans rate their classes -- look at who is highest ranked and offer them. Back into evals without putting in the work to scout out your own pipeline and board. ... We've had so many bad coaches since Butch, lol.

Advertisement
I like to joke about how bad a recruiter Randy was. But this one I admire him for. He never gave up. Coker got Olsen to transfer from ND for the same reason.

In the day of the portal, I think that's gong to be more and more important for coaches. They have to stay on kids, overlook their immaturity to some degree (e.g., Bissanthe's upside down U at his FSU visit).

I think Mario said something like, if we don't get them the first time, we'll get them out of the portal the second time. I'm paraphrasing and not doing justicie to Mario, but the point is valid. And that's an attitude this staff has to have. Weed out the trolls of course. But keep plugging with insight, optimism and a sense of humor
It’s becoming redundant to say so but “relentless” is the only way to describe Mario’s recruiting

**** we see these commits we are getting and you’re constantly hearing how he’s been on these kids for years

I might be way off here but to me it seemed like Randy and Manny would get into their feelings a bit when recruiting. Just a vibe I get from them.

Seems like at least half of every top 10 list has been busts.
One of the hardest positions to evaluate and recruit - often they are recruited based on size and reach (potential), in the hopes programs can craft them into a starter in year 3. Because in High School a 6'5" 280 lb player, should be dominating everybody on film. It's when you get them against equally sized guys who are athletic, that you know what you have for sure. By nature, a lot of the big guys also need to develop that bad *** attitude that makes a really good OL.

Whats crazy is that Joel Figueroa is still playing in canada.

I had no idea. A decade as a pro OL. Not too many can claim that. Truly impressive. ... His 22-year-old self would start for this team at one of the guard positions.

Advertisement
Bad evaluations and bad development is the trend im seeing with these lists

Seems like at least half of every top 10 list has been busts.
We’ve mis-evaluated some “talented” kids over the years. When the hit rate (guys that played up to their potential) on your “MUST HAVE” top 10 types, is around 20-30%, you’re gonna have problems.

There were some serious **** years where I'm shocked to see certain names of guess who never played were so highly rated. 2020? ******* Zion was starting at 230 lbs basically getting destroyed every play.

To show how either the evaluations are meaningless or or coaching is trash (both) our current 2 best OL are by far the lowest rated.

Advertisement
There were some serious **** years where I'm shocked to see certain names of guess who never played were so highly rated. 2020? ******* Zion was starting at 230 lbs basically getting destroyed every play.

To show how either the evaluations are meaningless or or coaching is trash (both) our current 2 best OL are by far the lowest rated.
He couldn't have been 230lbs.

Friend, who are Miami's "current 2 best OL"?

Mario is betting on the OL and DL to be the difference. It can work, just a longer rebuild than most of us care for. He's building this team like an NFL team or similar to the Bama teams when he was there (albeit without the stud WRs...more on that later). He also needs the war daddies at DT...can't get there without this element...non-negotiable element of success. He essentially wants UM to be the UGA of the ACC.

Someone said the other day, "what if I told you that UGA has only landed 1 Top 100 WR in the last 5yrs"....That top 100 WR was Pickens but that poster was right...

Mario is ABSOLUTELY using the UGA model which Kirby Smart has taken from his Bama days.....(wondering if Mario and Kirby crossed paths at Bama)

Advertisement
Mario is betting on the OL and DL to be the difference. It can work, just a longer rebuild than most of us care for. He's building this team like an NFL team or similar to the Bama teams when he was there (albeit without the stud WRs...more on that later). He also needs the war daddies at DT...can't get there without this element...non-negotiable element of success. He essentially wants UM to be the UGA of the ACC.

Someone said the other day, "what if I told you that UGA has only landed 1 Top 100 WR in the last 5yrs"....That top 100 WR was Pickens but that poster was right...

Mario is ABSOLUTELY using the UGA model which Kirby Smart has taken from his Bama days.....(wondering if Mario and Kirby crossed paths at Bama)
Having a good group on the Trenches does wonders man.

Advertisement
Back