Miami’s path to the playoffs

This thread was in jest and the odds of this happening are pretty much nil, also we'd get crushed by any of the playoff teams, but no reason to not at least pay attention to what's going on.

I will say this, the only thing to truly pay attention to this weekend is our game, I agree with you on that. Even with this comical chaos scenario I threw out there, if we win something like 26-20 this weekend, you can kiss all of this goodbye (short of Clemson losing and giving us a path to Charlotte, of course). It all starts with beating the **** out of Duke. If we sit here on Sunday morning and we won something like 45-10, then hey, we'll keep talking about it as background filler.
i dont believe you will ferrell GIF

Advertisement
This isn’t that crazy anyone.

I’m expecting Florida to lose to Bama.

Notre Dame beating Clemson again
Tamu dropping one of their next two

We win out.

Clemson with Lawrence is so good it makes this scenario crazy but that’s really what it’d take to make the playoffs. None of the pac 12 or pac will have 0 or 1 loss.

We win out.

Clemson with Lawrence is so good it makes this scenario crazy but that’s really what it’d take to make the playoffs. None of the pac 12 or pac will have 0 or 1 loss.
ND would need to beat Clemson in regulation by at least 10 pts. Otherwise, I could see Clemson still getting picked over us even with 2 losses.

ND would need to beat Clemson in regulation by at least 10 pts. Otherwise, I could see Clemson still getting picked over us even with 2 losses.

What would be the justification for that, so they can lose to Notre Dame a third time in the playoffs? I don't see that happening. If Clemson loses the ACCCG, they are out.

We win out.

I think it is more likely Clemson blows out ND and the committee considers to just leave the Irish out.

Advertisement
What would be the justification for that, so they can lose to Notre Dame a third time in the playoffs? I don't see that happening. If Clemson loses the ACCCG, they are out.
Pollsters hate us for one. Remember ND moving up in the polls after barely beating Louisville 12-7 at home and we went down the same week even though we won.

We win out.

An undefeated Cincinnati gets in over Miami in this case, don't you think? They are already ranked ahead of Miami in the playoff rankings. Unless Cincy loses a game as well, Miami is SOL.

An undefeated Cincinnati gets in over Miami in this case, don't you think? They are already ranked ahead of Miami in the playoff rankings. Unless Cincy loses a game as well, Miami is SOL.

Have to think we’d jump them with a good win over UNC

Advertisement
Tulsa's only loss was to ok st in a very close game. The game on Saturday is at Tulsa. I pick Tulsa to win.

Miami will move ahead of UGA and ISU now that we finally played and won decisively. Here's all that needs to happen for Miami to sneak in:

-CIN lose to TULSA (still think 1-loss Miami gets in ahead of 0 loss CIN but root for TULSA)
-FLA lose to ALA
-TA&M lose to MISS or TEN
-CLEM lose to ND

Bonus: OSU narrowly defeats MICH and B1G title game opponent. Or OSU vs MICH gets cancelled. They're probably in anyway but it gives the committee more fat to chew on.

Last edited:
Miami will move ahead of UGA and ISU now that we finally played and won decisively. Here's all that needs to happen for Miami to sneak in:

-CIN lose to TULSA (still think 1-loss Miami gets in ahead of 0 loss CIN but root for TULSA)
-FLA lose to ALA
-CLEM lose to ND

Bonus: OSU narrowly defeats MICH and B1G title game opponent. They're probably in anyway but it gives the committee more fat to chew on.

If they had ISU ahead of us last week, I don't think us beating Duke 48-0 while they beat a 5-3 West Va team 42-6 will do anything to change that. Hope you're right and I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

NOW...beating UNC by a good margin while they have the week off would certainly do it.

Advertisement
If they had ISU ahead of us last week, I don't think us beating Duke 48-0 while they beat a 5-3 West Va team 42-6 will do anything to change that. Hope you're right and I'm wrong, but I doubt it.

NOW...beating UNC by a good margin while they have the week off would certainly do it.
Also helps ISU that Texas handled K-State so you may be right.

Also helps ISU that Texas handled K-State so you may be right.

Yeah, I just don't see it yet. And sad as it is to say, even if we do jump them with a win this weekend, ISU plays OU for the Big 12 championship on the 19th. Watch them put whoever wins that game right back above us. OU does play in Morgantown this weekend though, maybe they'll stub their toe and then beat ISU and make the Big 12 even more irrelevant than it already is.

-FLA lose to ALA
-CLEM lose to ND

Bonus: OSU narrowly defeats MICH and B1G title game opponent. Or OSU vs MICH gets cancelled. They're probably in anyway but it gives the committee more fat to chew on.

If a G5 team that hasn't not played a single P5 team - not even ONE- gets into the playoffs over a one loss ACC team, the playoff committee should be lined up against a wall.

Advertisement
I would love for the Canes to get to the CFB Playoff, but finishing the season on a roll against UNC, GT then a NY6 opponent would basically guarantee us a top 4-5 finish in the final CFB rankings, and plenty of momentum on the recruiting trail.

I just don't see Clemson losing again to ND with Lawrence behind center. Frankly, I think ND will get crushed, but we shall see. ***** ND btw.

Pollsters hate us for one. Remember ND moving up in the polls after barely beating Louisville 12-7 at home and we went down the same week even though we won.

No doubt.

But I think they wouldn't keep Clemson in, most likely they would just bump up Georgia or put some other team that isn't Miami up ahead of them.

Just saying no way they would let Clemson have a THIRD crack at Notre Dame. That would be some straight up clown **** if they did that.

A&M just postponed their game with Ole Miss. don’t see them playing that game on Championship weekend and they aren’t losing to Tennessee.

Advertisement
Back