Miami’s path to the playoffs

Advertisement
I like your thinking, big dog. Let's say Clem's Son loses this weekend, does the ******* ACC cancel our games against UNC and GT so we have a week off before the ACCCG like they did for ND?

Of course not. They already said they're just doing a 9 game conference schedule. That's why they only have ND and Clemson scheduled for 1 more game, because they've played 8. We've only played 7, so we need to play 2 more.

If Clem's Son loses on Saturday and we win, then the game vs UNC next weekend will be for a trip to Charlotte. Win that, and the GT game is cancelled, and we play ND on 12/19.

Clem's Son won't lose, but I think VT can give them a little run.

I'm just here to say that I'm embarrassed that someone actually took the time up to dream up such a scenario. We aren't a playoff team, not even close.

I'm just here to say that I'm embarrassed that someone actually took the time up to dream up such a scenario. We aren't a playoff team, not even close.

I'm embarrassed that you took the time to tell people you don't know and who don't care about you that you're embarrassed.

See how sad that is?

Advertisement
I've been banging this drum for a couple weeks now. All Miami can do is win-out convincingly and see where the chips fall. But 10-1 Miami will get a look from the CFP committee 17 days from now.

I've been banging this drum for a couple weeks now. All Miami can do is win-out convincingly and see where the chips fall. But 10-1 Miami will get a look from the CFP committee 17 days from now.

This thread was in jest and the odds of this happening are pretty much nil, also we'd get crushed by any of the playoff teams, but no reason to not at least pay attention to what's going on.

I will say this, the only thing to truly pay attention to this weekend is our game, I agree with you on that. Even with this comical chaos scenario I threw out there, if we win something like 26-20 this weekend, you can kiss all of this goodbye (short of Clemson losing and giving us a path to Charlotte, of course). It all starts with beating the **** out of Duke. If we sit here on Sunday morning and we won something like 45-10, then hey, we'll keep talking about it as background filler.

Advertisement
No two loss team should get in over us, not even Clemson.
I agree. Especially if we blowout the rest of the teams on the schedule as suggested by the OP.

Now the question is will we blowout the teams left on our schedule? I think we can but we can also come out flat. Hopefully they come out with a fire in their belly.

Last edited:
There are a ton of ways Miami could be considered. The most likely:

Assuming Miami is 10-1 with 2 wins over ranked teams (NC State @ 8-3, UNC @8-3)

1. Undefeated Pac and B1G teams don't get enough games to be considered.
2. aTm drops game to Auburn
3. Cinn drops game to Tulsa
4. UF drops game to Bama

CFP would still likely take a two-loss SEC team over Miami.

2020 is crazy and this isn't going to happen. Heck, Miami is likely to struggle to get to 10-1.

You were .02 points away!!

I'm still somewhat new to DFS. If you win that amount of money, can you cash out? I hear folks say they continue to play.
yea I was pretty sick after that hail mary. ive never won top spot but anytime I win I can transfer money out if I want.

Advertisement
yea I was pretty sick after that hail mary. ive never won top spot but anytime I win I can transfer money out if I want.
****, on a hail mary at that! I play on FanDuel and win maybe $10 at most so I haven't had a reason to cash out is why I asked lol.

This thread was in jest and the odds of this happening are pretty much nil, also we'd get crushed by any of the playoff teams, but no reason to not at least pay attention to what's going on.

I will say this, the only thing to truly pay attention to this weekend is our game, I agree with you on that. Even with this comical chaos scenario I threw out there, if we win something like 26-20 this weekend, you can kiss all of this goodbye (short of Clemson losing and giving us a path to Charlotte, of course). It all starts with beating the **** out of Duke. If we sit here on Sunday morning and we won something like 45-10, then hey, we'll keep talking about it as background filler.
I get why people think it's impossible, but if the perception of Miami changes during these final few weeks we might have an outside shot. Pollsters, committee members, coaches, fans will see Miami sitting there at 10-1 with their lone loss having occurred months ago and take a closer look. As you say, it's incumbent on blowing out our final 3 opponents. That's all we can control but it can make a difference if we're in a pool with a bunch of 2-loss teams like Clemson, Florida, Georgia, Oklahoma.

If there was ever a year where not playing in a conference championship game doesn't matter as much it's 2020 - particularly with the ND hijinks. If nothing else, win-out to ensure the NY6 bowl bid but there's little reason why a hot 10-1 Miami team won't at least be taken seriously when the time comes.

Advertisement
The fact ISU is ranked over us tells you all you need to know about why unless we are undefeated we wont be in the playoff ever.

Also

The tobacco road refs from the night of "The Return" will make an appearance this weekend. Rest assured Duke will be gifted a glorious amount of bull**** penalties to keep it close.
Actually, our ranking is a reflection of our close calls against very, very average teams. While so many here were saying "a win is a win", others were saying that if we want to be taken seriously, we need to look like we belong. Other than FSU, have we looked like we belong in the top 10? Now, had we beaten the crap out of Pitt, Virginia, NCST, UAB, etc.. then maybe we'd be taken a lot more seriously. You can't escape scrubs week after week and expect to stay in the conversation. Especially when the one quality team you play makes you look bad. Now, had we lost to Clemson the same, but bounced back and rolled several teams, people would say that Miami is improving. Fact is, we haven't looked like an improving team, but one that does just enough to beat average teams. That will never impress pollsters. Nor should it.

Bama obliterates UF in Atlanta

Texas A&M loses to Auburn this weekend.

OSU has more games cancelled.

Iowa State loses this weekend to West Virginia.

Clemson barely escapes Lane and gets smoked in Charlotte

We beat Duke 48-9, UNC 51-26, and GT 49-10.

1 Notre Dame vs 4 Miami
2 Alabama vs 3 Cincinnati

Advertisement
Back